Official Review: Ashes In the Fall by Christopher Martinez

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
thankyou
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankyou.html
Latest Review: "Colin Frake, On Fire Mountain" by Nick Phoenix and Two Steps From Hell

Official Review: Ashes In the Fall by Christopher Martinez

Post by thankyou »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ashes In the Fall" by Christopher Martinez.]
Book Cover for 654
Share This Review

'Ashes in the Fall' by Christopher Martinez is an action fantasy novel. It is about a rebellion led by a former imperial soldier Carleon Orion against the brutal and oppressive rulers.

The Arusyan Empire is one of the largest known empires. Under the control of Prince Azelas, it has violently and brutally conquered many regions including Somaria, and has left its people devastated. So, Carleon is leading an army of rebels to kill Prince Azelas and Izlude, the captain of the empire's army and the chief person behind the destruction of Somaria. The rebels are basically victims of the destruction caused because of the Arusyan Empire. They have no home of their own, and now their only reason to live is to kill the prince and his step brother captain Izlude.

Darion is a teenage boy whose parents have been killed and his village set aflame by Izlude because his father aided Carleon in the rebellion. Fortunately he survives and wakes up in the rebel camp where Carleon had brought him. Now Danario too shares his hatred for Izlude and the prince, and chooses to join the rebellion. Eventually he makes friends and finds a new family there. He is now determined to do whatever it takes to fight alongside the rebels for their common cause.

But new complications arise when Darion gradually and unconsciously falls in love Princess Solara. One day, the rebels catch him talking privately with Solara, and consider it as a golden opportunity to use her to get Prince Azelas to surrender. So, they kidnap her and inform Azelas of their motives. But Darion keeps trying to rescue her at every chance, which leads to dire consequences for the rebels.

This action-packed novel is well written and interesting to read. The language style and the dialogues are apt, and capture the important parts nicely. The situations are very realistic, and the ending is also quite appropriate. The main characters are all well-defined, and Danario is especially likable. There were no significant grammatical or punctuation errors which in any way affected the reading experience.

But one problem I found was that the book as a whole is somewhat disconnected and lacks the necessary ‘flow’, especially when moving from one chapter to the next. Also, I wasn’t totally convinced with the part about the princess falling in love with Danario so easily. But other than that the book is interesting, and I am glad to have read it.

So overall I would rate this novel 3 out of 4 stars, and recommend it to all action lovers out there looking for a good read!

Buy "Ashes In the Fall" on Amazon
Latest Review: "Colin Frake, On Fire Mountain" by Nick Phoenix and Two Steps From Hell
shiningstar99
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shiningstar99 »

This book is exactly my type! I will add it to my to-read list.
thankyou

Post by thankyou »

Yes, I'm sure you will enjoy reading it.
shiningstar99
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shiningstar99 »

Thanks for the review.
thankyou

Post by thankyou »

You're welcome.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”