Official Review: The Orb of Truth by Brae Wyckoff

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Timea
Favorite Author: Edgar A. Poe
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =1580">The Dimension Scales and Other Stories</a>
Currently Reading: Arhipelagul Gulag I
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timea.html
Latest Review: "Murder Inc." by Christian Cipollini

Official Review: The Orb of Truth by Brae Wyckoff

Post by Timea »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Orb of Truth" by Brae Wyckoff.]
Book Cover for 2099
Share This Review

The Orb of Truth by Brae Wyckoff is set in a world where the evil flourishes while the supreme being of light is merely a distant memory. The reality of the novel is foreign yet strangely familiar to us because it has elements of our own world, and pieces of the mystical worlds we grew to love in other fiction works, like J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings.

The world of Brae Wyckoff is populated by many humanoid races and quite a few mystical creatures. So, the pages of his book hide Humans, Ordakians, Dwarfs, Elves, trolls, dragons and a few more mysterious beings. Also, there is a lot of magic flowing around in the air. Enchanted objects and spells slap the reader until his cheeks turn red with excitement. However, Brae Wyckoff’s magic has a few rough edges and some elements lack a convincing explanation. From all of these creatures and objects, I found a tree the most captivating by far. The Tree of Lore is the first thing we see in the The Orb of Truth and it entrances the reader with the tinkle of its crystal leaves and its power to fulfill wishes.

In a place where a human kingdom has control over the realm and dominates the other races, a shift is approaching. The dark forces which feed this kingdom are finally being challenged. A group of friends set forth to find themselves between the lines of an ancient prophecy and bring back the Light where Darkness is. Spilf and Dulgin, an Ordakian and a Dwarf, decide to go on a mysterious adventure, following their Ordakian friend, Bridazak. He has experienced some very realistic dreams but nothing has ever been as real as a wooden box that seemed to have materialized out of his dreams. The three of them venture on a journey to unlock the secrets stored in the box, which has a strong hold over his owner, Bridazak. They will be assisted by an invisible protector, whose voice will light their way.

Bridazak bears the burden of the main character and that of the chosen one; he must fulfill an ancient prophecy and bring back the Light to the world. He is the one with whom a reader can identify most easily. This Ordakian is a (very skilled) thief who learns to put his talents to good use. He is joined by the loyal and calculated Spilf and the more reckless, wild-tempered Dulgin, who (too) often refers to others as “blundering fools”.

In the end, I give Brae Wyckoff’s The Orb of Truth 3 out of 4 stars because the mesmerizing scent of the Tree from the beginning of the book faded away with the pages. There was rarely time for the reader to catch his breath, as waves of action kept washing the shores of the pages. The characters were all painted in different colors, but there is still room to brighten and intensify these. Also, the dialogue was at times unrealistic, even in a fantasy world. It felt like the book was meant for a younger audience but I believe that anyone who enjoys works of magical fiction should take a look at The Orb of Truth.

Buy "The Orb of Truth" on Amazon
Buy "The Orb of Truth" on Barnes and Noble
ttuso22
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ttuso22.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by ttuso22 »

I really enjoyed your review! I am reviewing the second book of the series right now, but first I had read this one to get an idea of what the story is about. So far, I am enjoying the second moreso than the first and I am not even halfway. What you said about the adventure being constant and not giving enough time to catch your breath was accurate and I feel like he definitely improves on that in the second book. When I finish it, I'll have to let you know how it is!
If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it. ~Toni Morrison
Timea
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =1580">The Dimension Scales and Other Stories</a>

Post by Timea »

Thank you :) I am really glad to hear that it rose to its potential, all the elements were there, they just needed a bit of polishing. Please do let me know how it was, I am pretty curious (and looking forward to your review) ;)

P.S. Abawken is a really intriguing character, I can only hope there is more of him in the second book.
Apogea
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apogea.html

Post by Apogea »

Sounds good, I am going to have to put this on my list of books to get!
Good review!
Timea

Post by Timea »

Thank you :)
Brae
Favorite Author: Brae Wyckoff
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brae.html
fav_author_id: 2007

Post by Brae »

Great review! As an author I truly appreciate honest reviews and take all feedback to help craft my skill of weaving a story.
FYI, during July (this month) 2014, The Orb of Truth is on sale on Amazon ebook for only $0.99.
Timea

Post by Timea »

Thank you, it means a lot to me to hear that...
Best of luck to you with this series! :)
sahmoun2778
Favorite Author: Dana Stabenow
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahmoun2778.html
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Reading Device: 1400698987
fav_author_id: 10781

Post by sahmoun2778 »

I really enjoyed your review Barabas. Keep up the good work.
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Timea

Post by Timea »

ttuso22
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ttuso22.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by ttuso22 »

I just finished the second book and my review! I highly recommend the Dragon God if you read this one! :)
If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it. ~Toni Morrison
Timea

Post by Timea »

I will check it out ;)
Erich_gray
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erich-gray.html

Post by Erich_gray »

Thanks for this. I just downloaded the Kindle version and looking forward to reading it. Looks fun!!

Erich
Timea

Post by Timea »

Thank you and I hope you enjoy it :)
Erich_gray
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erich-gray.html

Post by Erich_gray »

I am. I am more than half way though. I am beginning to look forward to the second book. I have seen this book on amazon many times but overlooked it. Now that I am reading it, I am trying to decide to read or work on my studies and cook for the family. Nah,I think I will go out to my reading tree and have a sit. :-)

Erich
Timea

Post by Timea »

I sometimes overlook books too :p well, it looks like it really caught you ;)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”