"Daughter of Smoke and Bone" by Laini Taylor

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mrseaddy16
Bookshelf Size: 0

"Daughter of Smoke and Bone" by Laini Taylor

Post by Mrseaddy16 »

Author Laini Taylor brings the world of hit tv series Supernatural to a Romeo and Juliet style love story.
Daughter of Smoke and Bone, a New York Times best seller, entrances readers with a Sifi/fantasy that keeps them turning the pages to see what happens next.
Karou, a 17-year old art student in Prague, is a blue haired mysterious beauty, not only a mystery to her friends but to herself as well. Keeping secret the true story of her upbringing, and the nature of her father figure Brimstone, while still trying to keep her cherished friendship with the feisty and tiny Zuzana, Karou works hard to keep balance in her complicated life, with not much success.
Enter the handsome and equally mysterious Akiva. Drawn to one another, but unsure why, yet at war and natural enemies. Akiva holds the key to Karou’s past and her future. Romeo and Juliet becomes Akiva and Karou, and the Montagues and the Capulets become the Seraph and the Chimaera.
I give this book 5 stars, not only for its originality but for its ability to keep me reading non stop. If you have trouble with pronouncing complicated words, try the audiobook read by Khristine Hvam. Khristine is excellent at capturing the many personalities in this novel and her smooth voice is a pleasure to listen to.
"Once upon a time an angel and a devil fell in love….It did not end well" Daughter of Smoke and Bone
book whale
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-whale.html

Post by book whale »

I could not put this book down. It was written so beautifully and it was heartbreaking at times I loves Laini Taylor's righting. It made me want to continue on with the series and want to read her other books.
mana1o1
Favorite Author: J.K Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mana1o1.html

Post by mana1o1 »

This book was just soo good and heart touching.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

The series is on my reading list. It sounds great.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
lorriesherbet

Post by lorriesherbet »

Unlike the first book, which I enjoyed immensely, the sequel (Days of Blood and Starlight), was a bit of a disappointment actually. It was really rather radically different from its predecessor and I became unfortunately bored with the main characters and plotline, instead only managing to rouse interest for a minor subplot. Was it just me who felt this?
MJohnson

Post by MJohnson »

I listened to the first two books in this series, and am currently listening to the third. I really like the reader, she does a fantastic job. I love Laini Taylor's characters, there is so much to them, and it's not hard to see/hear/feel the world she has created.

However, I'm having a hard time wanting to continue with the third book at the moment--everything keeps going wrong. And every time I think things are going to turn around, more crap hits the fan. Which is awesome, and yet, not. I guess I might just not be in the right mood for it. I'm wanting some fluff, and this is not fluff. It's beautiful and descriptive and thoughtful. And I really want it to have a happy ending.
CharlotteWolf
Favorite Author: jessica shirvington
Favorite Book: Between the Lives
Currently Reading: Love by Numbers
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlottewolf.html
fav_author_id: 8661

Post by CharlotteWolf »

A must read for any fantasy lovers
littlebook
Favorite Author: J.K Rowling
Favorite Book: Will Grayson Will Grayson
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlebook.html
Latest Review: "River of Fire" by Darrell Case

Post by littlebook »

This book is extraordinary. A must read.
Latest Review: "River of Fire" by Darrell Case
sfloura
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sfloura.html

Post by sfloura »

Looking forward to reading this book. Just picked it up from my library this week.
Amii3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amii3.html

Post by Amii3 »

lorriesherbet wrote:Unlike the first book, which I enjoyed immensely, the sequel (Days of Blood and Starlight), was a bit of a disappointment actually. It was really rather radically different from its predecessor and I became unfortunately bored with the main characters and plotline, instead only managing to rouse interest for a minor subplot. Was it just me who felt this?

I agree. I really love the first book. I mean, I like the second book too but it felt kind of...slow? It just did not seem as exciting. But overall the series is amazing.
Alexander678

Post by Alexander678 »

I really enjoyed all of the books in this series, but I must admit that the second and third books seemed vastly different to the first. As well, I agree that the second book did seem slower than the others. However, despite its faults, this series definitely remains as one of my favourites.
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

In all honesty, I didn't like the book. It was confusing and the ending was disappointing. It was very unexpected though. Sadly, it didn't meet my standards of what a good book should be. I don't think I'll read the other books in the trilogy.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I really enjoyed the first two books of this trilogy. The third, not at all. I felt like it was nothing but hundreds of pages of build up to something that didn't end up to be very exciting. I've heard wonderful things about this trilogy and am so disappointed by the ending. In my opinion, the whole side story with the stelians was just page filler. It could just as easily have not been in there and it would be the same book. I really hate that the last book of this series left such a bad taste in my mouth.
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

This is one of my favorite books of all time. I havent read the second or third books as yet, but I will because if they are anything like the first they will be outstanding
JennMck86

Post by JennMck86 »

The cover really drew me in on this one. Even though I am traditionally more into urban fantasy and more mature paranormal books I have been getting into YA lately. There are some wonderful books out there in this genre that are incredibly well written. This book was excellent and I read it in a day. I cannot wait to read the next one.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”