Official Review: The Final Frontier by H M Irwing

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Official Review: The Final Frontier by H M Irwing

Post by L_Therese »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Final Frontier" by H M Irwing.]
Book Cover for 1878
Share This Review

For all her life, growing up on the planet Johua, Sim was aware that she was different, but she had never dreamed how unique she really was or where it would lead her. The product of a genetic experiment, Sim is swept up into a maelstrom of major political machinations, scientific breakthroughs, and natural disasters that threaten whole planets at a time. Sim must not only confront her creator to learn more about her origins, purpose, and potential, but she is also called upon to assist in countering a series of dangers that threaten the existence of her newfound friends and allies.

H.M. Irwing’s book, The Final Frontier is an adventure of the science fiction/fantasy variety. In the Awakened Universe, many planets and their populations coexist under the governance of a Council and the protection of a warrior collective known as Ovion. A rogue scientist, aware of the failings of the societal structure, creates new life forms by genetic experimentation in hopes that they will be able to help stave off certain destruction. Once Sim and her “siblings” are grown, it becomes time to face both the predicted calamities as well as the unexpected, the which effort leads Sim and company as far away as the yet-un-Awakened Earth.

There is quite a lot going on in this book. A multiplicity of societies, involving different life forms, abilities, technologies, etc., added to an abundance of phenomena driving the plot forward makes for a very complicated novel. The author goes to great effort to explain what is happening and why, but as I was reading, I came to the conclusion that this is a book best read twice. The first time through, I can get to know the characters and, through them, the lifestyles, abilities, and customs of the various races represented. The second time, I can focus on the technology and scientific phenomena and get a better idea of those plot devices. (Note: this was my experience only. Such a second reading is not strictly necessary. The book was amply enjoyable and clear enough to follow the plot the first time through, but I’m reviewing it, and it’s good enough for a repeat, so I went for it.) Probably, more enthused science fiction readers will more thoroughly enjoy the book because they will be delighted by its detail and variety while also being perhaps more accustomed to placing themselves in an optimal mindset for absorbing and understanding everything that’s going on.

No matter what your reading preference though, I can almost guarantee that you will enjoy Sim, the main character. She is awkward, curious, bold, generally hilarious, and intrinsically likable. She’s never entirely comfortable in her own skin, and her discoveries (and mishaps) as she realizes her potential are sure to have readers smiling, laughing, and maybe believing a little more in the unique possibilities for each person in the real world too. Through Sim’s eyes, we get an outsider’s perspective on each world and race she encounters (including Earth), and all the while, her charm, humor, and compassion humanize every character and draw out the best and worst of everyone who encounters her.

I would be remiss if I left out a warning to prospective readers. If you’re a stickler for technical accuracy, this might not be the book for you. The cardinal rule of the genre is to suspend disbelief. Minor errors, like speech pattern discrepancies, scientific impossibilities relating to obscure phenomena, and technical errors in high-level Earth politics, do exist in the novel. For many readers, these will not present a problem, and the book will be enjoyable or not on its merits, but for some, these small problems will niggle and spoil the effect. In the words of Socrates, “Know thyself,” and guide your choices accordingly.

For my part, I enjoyed the book greatly, and I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. It seems well set-up for a sequel (although the ending is complete - not a cliffhanger, I promise), and I would not be sorry to see Sim and friends return to pick up where they left off once again.

Buy "The Final Frontier" on Amazon
Buy "The Final Frontier" on Barnes and Noble
H M Irwing
Bookshelf Size: 0
Signature Addition: <a href="viewtopic.php?f=44&t=78724" class="postlink">View official OnlineBookClub.org review of <em>Ever After</em></a>

Post by H M Irwing »

Thank you so much for your review. I appreciate your honesty and accuracy of your summary. Thanks again!
<a href="viewtopic.php?f=44&t=78724" class="postlink">View official OnlineBookClub.org review of <em>Ever After</em></a>
ryancody

Post by ryancody »

The book is about an alien race called the Johuan and i love such. I will definitely purchase the book...
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Great review! Just purchased the book!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Very well-written review! It's pretty cool that it's the Book of the Day today! I'm not very big into Sci-Fi, but Fantasy I like, so who knows maybe I'll like it!

I especially liked your comment about Sim:
She is awkward, curious, bold, generally hilarious, and intrinsically likable.
Sounds like my type of character! :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Great review! I really like that the main character Sim made you feel like you could believe "a little more in the unique possibilities for each person in the real world too." This book sounds epic and wonderfully creative. It says a lot that you were able to read it twice in a row and still enjoy it.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Kahlin

Post by Kahlin »

Great review. Going to purchase the book now.
MRogue
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrogue.html
Latest Review: "Billionaire Romance: A Hard Bargain (Book 1 of series)" by Jennifer King

Post by MRogue »

Sounds interesting. I'll go check it out.
Adventure is worthwhile in itself.
Latest Review: "Billionaire Romance: A Hard Bargain (Book 1 of series)" by Jennifer King
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

hsimone wrote:Very well-written review! It's pretty cool that it's the Book of the Day today! I'm not very big into Sci-Fi, but Fantasy I like, so who knows maybe I'll like it!

I especially liked your comment about Sim:
She is awkward, curious, bold, generally hilarious, and intrinsically likable.
Sounds like my type of character! :)

I'm glad I can help you feel excited for the Book of the Day. I hope you like it as much as I did!
1_2_5_am
Currently Reading: Once Upon a Time in Korea
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1-2-5-am.html

Post by 1_2_5_am »

This is such a thorough review! & I admire the fact that you read it twice to ensure an accurate review!
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Great review! I like your description of Sim. She certainly seems both likable and relatable!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”