Official Review: The Firedragon by Mary Fan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
thankyou
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankyou.html
Latest Review: "Colin Frake, On Fire Mountain" by Nick Phoenix and Two Steps From Hell

Official Review: The Firedragon by Mary Fan

Post by thankyou »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Firedragon" by Mary Fan.]
Book Cover for 1829
Share This Review

‘The Firedragon’ by Mary Fan is an action fantasy book. It is a young adult novella and a prelude to the novel ‘Flynn Nightsider and the Edge of Evil’, which will be released in spring 2015.

It all starts around a century ago. The Lord of the Underworld is determined to destroy the human race with the help of his many vicious and deadly monsters. So they wage a war, one of the most gruesome wars the planet has ever seen, with the humans. The Enchanters, an elite class of humans who have magical powers, finally succeed in defeating the Lord of the Underworld, but many monsters still remain. Now, there is a never ending war between the monsters and the Enchanters, which the Enchanters must win in order to protect the human race.

But the population of Enchanters is very less and not enough to destroy all the monsters, so they need some Norms to support them. Norms are the people belonging to the other class of humans who do not possess magical powers. They are also the people who are considered to be inferior to the Enchanters.

Fourteen year old Aurelia is one of the Norms. She has been training ever since she learned to walk, to become one of the Defenders, a group of people who fight the monsters to defend their nation. So she is selected to enter the world’s first monster-fighting competition, and if she wins it, she would be chosen as a Defender. But more importantly, she would be able to prove to the world that Norms are just as good as the Enchanters, and should not be discriminated against.

But as she goes deeper into the competition, things start to get more and more dangerous. Also, nothing is what it looks like, and something very suspicious is going on what she didn’t know about. Her entire outlook on the Enchanters changes, and she suddenly realizes that this competition could even mean death for her.

This book is very captivating right from the beginning. There is enough action to keep you flipping the pages, and jaw-dropping stunts to get you hooked. The plot is fresh and excellent, and keeps you wanting more. The writing style is clear and to the point. The story flows logically, and the characters, especially the main characters, are totally relatable. Yes, the main character Aurelia is not perfect and has her flaws, but that’s what makes her likable. There are no significant punctuation or grammatical mistakes which in any way affect the reading experience. All this makes me wait eagerly for the Flynn Nightsider novel.

Overall, this book has all that you can expect from an action fantasy book. So, I would rate it 4 out of 4 stars and specially recommend it to teenagers who like these types of books.

Buy "The Firedragon" on Amazon
Buy "The Firedragon" on Barnes and Noble
Latest Review: "Colin Frake, On Fire Mountain" by Nick Phoenix and Two Steps From Hell
astralcolt
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by astralcolt »

Just wanted to say thanks for reading :-D
thankyou

Post by thankyou »

Yes, I totally enjoyed reading it. Can't wait to get my hands on you next book!!! :D
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

Sound really good. I can't wait to read it. :)
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
thankyou

Post by thankyou »

Yes, I'm sure you will enjoy reading it!!
shiningstar99

Post by shiningstar99 »

Same here kio! Can't wait to get my hands on it!!
thankyou

Post by thankyou »

True, shiningstar99. You will definitely like it.
shiningstar99

Post by shiningstar99 »

Thanks for the review.
thankyou

Post by thankyou »

You're welcome.
shiningstar99

Post by shiningstar99 »

I wanted to ask, do you know any other good books you've read of this genre and are good?
thankyou

Post by thankyou »

shiningstar99 wrote:I wanted to ask, do you know any other good books you've read of this genre and are good?
Check out my reviewer page, which can be found below my user id.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”