The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare. Any thughts?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shelinbarger
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare. Any thughts?

Post by shelinbarger »

Overall I loved this series! I have yet to purchase the last book not because of lack of interest but lack of funds to purchase it at this time... lol. The books were very interesting along with some of the themes if you have read them then you know what I mean!! I liked the suspense, romance and rivalry that came up in some of the books it added a nice element tat kept the book interesting.
mkostecki11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mkostecki11.html

Post by mkostecki11 »

I thoroughly enjoyed the Mortal Instruments Series and re-read the entire series every time a new book came out. I do feel as if Clare should've compressed the series into a smaller number of books. At times the storyline dragged on and nothing amounted to much or was accomplished by the end of a novel. It seemed like it was just a prequel for the next book in the series. Other than that it was original and Cassandra Clare is an accomplished story-teller in that she can make up a whole new world apart from ours and still make it seem natural. However, my favorite series by her is the Infernal Devices by far. I found the trilogy captivating, but then again I'm a huge fan of heart-wrenching love triangles and a lot of action.
cyndiha11
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndiha11.html
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Post by cyndiha11 »

Cassandra Clare is a superb storyteller; I found the Mortal Instruments series riveting. I just loved how she built the relationship between Clary and Jace, Isabelle and Simon...it was all very well done in my opinion.
“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne
Heidi76
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Currently Reading: Dead Until Dark
Bookshelf Size: 196

Post by Heidi76 »

I´m halfway through City of Bones, and I enjoy it a lot, but one thing bothers me a little: it´s a different version of Twilight, or Twilight is a copy of this, i haven´t looked into wich one came first. you know, clumsy "normal" girl/rich, handsome "supernatural" boy, Isabelle is a copy of Alice, Jace playes the piano like Edward, and a lot of other small stuff I can´t remember now, I just :roll: whenever I come across the twilight-y stuff. But overall I like it a lot :D
Home is behind, the world ahead. And there are many paths to tread. Through shadow, to the edge of night. Until the stars are all alight. Mist and shadow, cloud and shade. All shall fade. All shall fade. /JRR Tolkien, Peregrin Took
Jenn H

Post by Jenn H »

Love Love Love this series! And the way she worked out the love triangle in The Infernal Devices trilogy was amazing.

I've lost count of how many times I've read these books :D
hpsecrets99
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Jurassic Park
Currently Reading: The Spectacular Now
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hpsecrets99.html
Latest Review: "Suppliant" by Laura Tree
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by hpsecrets99 »

I LOVE THESE BOOKS! Definitely one of my favorites! I liked The Infernal Devices a bit more than The Mortal Instruments, just because I liked Tessa more than Clary. But they are both fantastic series, and I can't wait to read the next series!
Latest Review: "Suppliant" by Laura Tree
hephaestion
Favorite Author: Virginia Woolf
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: Giovannis Room
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hephaestion.html
fav_author_id: 2470

Post by hephaestion »

I tried reading City of Bones about two years ago and couldn't get into it. I found the story to be very predictable and the writing to be lazy. I never got to finish it. I think it's unfortunate, because there is so much potential and the range of creatures is really fascinating.
clovers1

Post by clovers1 »

This is one of those books I really wanted to get into, but it took too long for me to get interested in the characters and plot. I will probably pick it up again after seeing everybody here saying how good it was. I honestly only read the first chapter of the first book and that was it...
S dot Lennon
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: My current book theme is banned books
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-dot-lennon.html
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by S dot Lennon »

I saw the same thing as Corax and it stopped me from wanting to even read her books. I have never tried reading fan fiction but once the plaigarism and controversy came to light I knew I would never be able to read them.
All I need is a new book and a place to read it...
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
FAHenfrey
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fahenfrey.html
Latest Review: "False Vacuum" by John Macgregor

Post by FAHenfrey »

I loved the first book of the Mortal Instruments and enjoyed the next two but I was much happier when the series ended there. I feel that her more recent books in the series became a bit repetitive. Overall I preferred the Infernal Devices series because it was very refreshing to see Clare use her talents for a new and freshly thrilling group of characters and scenarios. At this stage I'm not sure if I will even both reading the new one when it comes out
Latest Review: "False Vacuum" by John Macgregor
Beaumont Todd
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beaumont-todd.html

Post by Beaumont Todd »

I have not had the opportunity to read the Infernal Devices but I truly enjoyed reading the Mortal Instruments. Certain aspects can be repetitive as the books progress but with each new book you learn a little more about the history of the Characters and how they came to be. I truly love Jace as a character with his moodiness but definitive courage. The books give me an opportunity as a reader to go back to the excitement of young love while still mixing in what I love most about fantasy books. Fairies, angels, demons and a host of other species of fantasy characters.
scquarantillo
Favorite Author: rachel vincent
Favorite Book: Forever by Judy Blume
Currently Reading: Undead to the World
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scquarantillo.html
fav_author_id: 4455

Post by scquarantillo »

I really enjoyed the first few books, but with such a long wait for the last book, I feel like I've lost interest! Maybe I should reread them to get back into them! I honestly really loved these books! I don't know what happened.

-- 02 Mar 2015, 13:31 --

I was really into the first few books and then I got a little bored. I didn't t even read the finale book! I feel like I need to start over from book 1 and try to get back into the books! I really did like the stories!
Gemma Nicholls
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemma-nicholls.html

Post by Gemma Nicholls »

CIty of Bones is undoubtedly one of the best books I've read. Its supernatural galore with shadowhunters, werewolves etc. The love story isnt so overpowering that you lose sigh in the book, but its a great edition to such a well written story.

Also, each book ends with a cliffhanger, so you feel compelled to keep reading! 10/10 series, I would recommend to any supernatural fanatic.
gyaniwasp
Currently Reading: City of Heavenly Fire
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by gyaniwasp »

I haven't finished the entire series, I am still reading Çity of Heavenly Fire'but I was captivated by the first book, which led me on to the next book and so forth. What i really liked was that every chapter there would be a surprise, and unexpected turn of events. For instance, when it was discovered that Clary and Jace were siblings. I was outraged at this because i ship Clace. I feel that the movie was weak though. There was no concentration on the relationship between Simon and Isabelle. It feel more like love triangle in the movie. I thouroughly enjoyed 'The Infernal Devices' it is unlike any other books that i have read. The problem isn't very clear and the characters keep on doing random things though. There is no clear objective. That was the only downisde of both these series written by Cassie. Now I just cannot wait for the next series: 'The Dark Artifices'!
TheSnowBlues
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thesnowblues.html

Post by TheSnowBlues »

I own all the books and I LOVE THIS SERIES AND NOTHING CAN EVER MAKE ME HATE IT. Although when things between Clary and Jace got weird, I felt weird because I still shipped it. :oops: But it's all right now :) Love it love it love it!!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”