Throne of Glass - Sarah J Maas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Meagan Ashley
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 227
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meagan-ashley.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Throne of Glass - Sarah J Maas

Post by Meagan Ashley »

Not only did I immediately fall in love with this series but the author as well. Her main female leads were built off of Sailor Moon, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Gilmore Girls. She wanted strong and growing female leads. Not some wishy washy girls that all of a sudden are powerful. She is one of the only authors I know of that doesn't start a romance and then they walk off into the sunset. She's realistic. There's always more than one love, pain that separates them, etc. I would suggest her Court of Thorns and Roses series.
GLUELINE
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glueline.html

Post by GLUELINE »

Yes! This is the first time I've ever been able to talk to people about this book or the rest of the series! I love the series so much! My favorite part of this book was Celaena taking down the monsters in the book.
lacos2693
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lacos2693.html
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni

Post by lacos2693 »

A great series but was slightly disappointed by the last book. I hope it it improves and goes back to its roots in the next book.
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

I just recently began reading this series, and I do agree that the books get better as you go. There has been more action and excitement in the books following the first that I can't stop reading them. The author did an incredible job with her work.
Madison Degraffenreid
Mstroud88
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mstroud88 »

I love this series and can't wait for the final book. I think Celeana has really grown through the series. I also just finished ACOMAF, the latest book in Maas' other series. The characters are so complex. I love them.
Brienne Bellemare
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brienne-bellemare.html

Post by Brienne Bellemare »

I couldnt stop reading this book! The author did an amazing job writing this!
elliotbrooks
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliotbrooks.html

Post by elliotbrooks »

I haven't read this series yet, but I plan to soon! I've heard a lot of great things about it, and, of course, I've seen TONS of people talking about it.

I did have one friend mention that the main protagonist is a "flawless" to the point of annoyance. Did any of you find that to be the case? I likely won't have too much of an issue with it, but I'm curious if others thought that as well.

Anyway, happy reading all! I'm thrilled to be starting this series soon! :D
Adela1209
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Adela1209 »

Am I the only one who gave up reading this series? At first I've totally loved it, but then I had a hard time reading the 3rd book "Heir of Fire". The first 100 pages felt so boring and hard to reach and I kind of gave up there. I've started reading Assassin's Blade (the 0.5) and I love it, but I don't know if I'll continue reading the series...Does it get better? :?
needmoresleep
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-needmoresleep.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by needmoresleep »

Adela1209 wrote:Am I the only one who gave up reading this series? At first I've totally loved it, but then I had a hard time reading the 3rd book "Heir of Fire". The first 100 pages felt so boring and hard to reach and I kind of gave up there. I've started reading Assassin's Blade (the 0.5) and I love it, but I don't know if I'll continue reading the series...Does it get better? :?
IM SO THERE! But I actually managed to get to Empire of Storms which I think is the latest book (haven't started it yet but i did buy it). I was really in love with this series at first but as it went along I just kept noticing more and more things I disliked.

I guess it depends on what you didn't like about it
I'm not a big fan of the romance stuff happening which is why it's taking me forever to even open the latest book (even with the clue that it might be the best book thus far), but it does get pretty interesting but that's like 3 books after Heir of Fire and I'm not a huge fan of having to read all that to get to the interesting parts. Will say Heir of Fire was the book I liked the LEAST in the series (it's also where a lot of things start to shift)

-- 07 Jan 2017, 18:40 --
elliotbrooks wrote:I haven't read this series yet, but I plan to soon! I've heard a lot of great things about it, and, of course, I've seen TONS of people talking about it.

I did have one friend mention that the main protagonist is a "flawless" to the point of annoyance. Did any of you find that to be the case? I likely won't have too much of an issue with it, but I'm curious if others thought that as well.

Anyway, happy reading all! I'm thrilled to be starting this series soon! :D

I never thought of her like that but now that I think about it I think I agree. I mean, she does have a lot of baggage but aside from that she is pretty much "flawless"

-- 07 Jan 2017, 19:05 --

I started reading this probably 2 years ago and was completely in love with the first book and Assassin's Blade, two of the best books in the series as Celeana actually felt like a badass assassin to me. The second book was still a good read, but we did get to see more of her girlie side. Once I hit Heir of Fire I was just GONE. I really disliked what happened with some of the characters at that point and now I'm just continuing this series because I've invested so much time!! xD

I actually want to reread the first book and prequel but other than that not so sure
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Adela1209 wrote:Am I the only one who gave up reading this series? At first I've totally loved it, but then I had a hard time reading the 3rd book "Heir of Fire". The first 100 pages felt so boring and hard to reach and I kind of gave up there. I've started reading Assassin's Blade (the 0.5) and I love it, but I don't know if I'll continue reading the series...Does it get better? :?
I am so glad to know I am not the only one that had to give up with this series. I thought there might be something wrong with me! This series gets so much hype, but there are better fantasy books out there.

Saying this, the series was so promising, the first book seems great, I liked the main character as she wasn't the typical "damsel in distress" and she had something gutsy about her, but she also had a quiet, sensitive side, and liked reading and chocolate so she was a hit with me.
The second book was gripping and moved the plot along nicely but the end kind of turned it on it's head and the third did not improve. I did not like any of the new characters in the third book and they felt forced upon the reader, we did not see much of the previous characters we'd been following, yet the new character's points of view were messy and not very engaging. I'd like to know what happens in the end but I'm not in a huge rush to read them anytime soon. I'd read something by Sarah J Maas again, just not a fantasy.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

Wow this sounds great! I'll have to check it out.
HarleyQuinn2016
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harleyquinn2016.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by HarleyQuinn2016 »

The first was a great read and I was looking forward to the rest of the series. However, I quit reading after the third book. I bought the book, added it to my reading list, but not into big of a hurry to finish the series. I had high hopes for this series.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
nabila nawar93
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by nabila nawar93 »

I spoiled myself after the second book and now I can't pick it up because I am so heartbroken.I shipped Chaolaena so hard.I loved the first two books and I don't know how to get through the remaining books.I am really looking forward to Tower of Dawn but I hate the cover!
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

The Throne of Glass series is one of the best fantasy series featuring a female lead recently. Its a superb piece of fantasy literature and the author really knows how to make a compelling story. :D
Nyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15126">The Gunslinger</a>
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reading Device: B00746W3HG

Post by Nyuu »

Good book, great storyline, but sometimes the character of Celaena was irritating. Kickass chick, badass skills, went through all these hardship and overcomes them and then acts like a child when it concern matters of the heart. Maybe it was meant to make her more normal or more human but still, meh.. Still a good series though.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”