Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
emski100
Favorite Author: Veronica Roth
Favorite Book: Divergent
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emski100.html
Latest Review: "The Beer Bellies" by Andrew Mather
fav_author_id: 2445

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Post by emski100 »

Love reading and talking about books? Well Cath is probably a lot like you.
In the novel Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, Cath is a freshman in college at the same school as her sister Wren. She's always been introverted and has been in love with the Simon Snow novels (*cough* Harry Potter) since forever. But when her sister doesn't want to be roommates Cath has to adjust to her new life in college and find a place for everything: her fan fiction and fandom, schoolwork, family, social life. Its essentially a coming of age novel relating to the book lovers that read it. So of course I have to grant it 5/5 stars. Cath was incredibly relatable and I totally would do some of the things she did. All the other characters were perfectly developed. I could just go on and on. I LOVE THIS BOOK. So if you're in the mood for contemporary or just want to channel your inner Fangirl, this book is so for you.
Just a girl with a banjo and some books...minus the banjo
Also a booktuber :)
ops_143
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ops-143.html

Post by ops_143 »

I read Eleanor and Park by Rainbow and loved it! Can't wait to read Fan Girl
emski100
Favorite Author: Veronica Roth
Favorite Book: Divergent
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emski100.html
fav_author_id: 2445

Post by emski100 »

I'm probably going to read Eleanor and Park next month. I've heard so many good things.
Just a girl with a banjo and some books...minus the banjo
Also a booktuber :)
S dot Lennon
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: My current book theme is banned books
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-dot-lennon.html
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by S dot Lennon »

I just bought Eleanor and Park. I haven't been able to get to it yet. I am hoping to get to it soon. I have heard some amazing things about Rainbow Rowell so I hope I love it and can go on to read Fangirl!
All I need is a new book and a place to read it...
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
Jilayalith
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jilayalith.html

Post by Jilayalith »

I have never read fangirl, but i've read "eleanor and park" by rainbow as well. Very great book, nice diction, and plot line. Im looking forward to reading more of her books.
marta_monteirinho
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-monteirinho.html

Post by marta_monteirinho »

I want to cuddle with this book. I want to hide its characters in my bedroom, wrap them in a blanket, feed them withcookies and hang out with them.

Fangirl follows Cath, a teenager who is about to go to college. She is a Simon Snow fan and being a fan is her life. When they were kids Cath and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series and began writing fanfiction to escape the mess that their lives were at the moment. They have been inseparable all their lives, but now they have grown up and Wren tells Cath she doesn’t want to be her roommate when they go to college. Even though Cath doesn’t want to, they now take different paths, and our main character finds herself on her own completely out of her comfort zone.

This book… oh, this book was probably (not probably, I’m certain that it was) the most relatable novel I’ve ever read. Reading about Cath was like exploring my own mind, since I am also a fangirl. I began reading this book thinking it would be a quirky, fun and light read but, oh, was I mistaken. It is so much more than that. Fangirl opened my eyes and taught me things about myself that I didn’t even know I was capable of. This book spoke to me.

Okay, shall we start with Cath? She writes Simon Snow fanfiction and has always hidden inside the magical world of Simon Snow. She is insecure and an introvert and I loved her character. We’ve all been there. We all have that series of books that helps us getting on with life, that series we use to escape the mundane world and all our problems and I could relate to Cath so much while I was reading this book. She often had conversations with her friends and found herself saying things to them that I say to mine. I loved the way Rainbow Rowell explored fanfiction as a whole.

Now, Levi. Levi is the sweetest and nicest guy in the world. He’s always smiling and is the first person Cath meets when she goes to college. His character is so genuine and honest. His relationship with Cath was so heart-warming and easy-going and it was built with small steps. They had a solid bond and an instant connection.

In the beginning of this book, you may get a little frustrated with Wren, who is the main character’s twin sister. Wren feels as if she and Cath have always shared everything and she wants something different for a change, so they both get kind of distanced from each other in the first half of the book or so, but I loved their relationship. The love they shared for the Simon Snow books and how they used to write fanfiction together and each of them had a pen-name.

All the characters that Rainbow Rowell created were so unique, from the red-headed roommate who is always angry and dating five guys at the same time to the great Fiction Writing professor who thinks fanfiction is plagiarism. They were all quirky and fun and each and every one of them had their flaws.

Fangirl is a mixture of the typical first-love, family issues and being alone for the first time in your life and trying to figure out how you’re going to survive it. If you like reading contemporary YA novels that make you giggle while you’re reading them but at the same time make you reflect on your personality and your actions, then this book should be at the top of your TBR list. I could go on and on about it, but I will tell you something much more important: go read it if you haven’t already.
mana1o1
Favorite Author: J.K Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mana1o1.html

Post by mana1o1 »

I did like this book a lot as well. It was such a nice and calm read. Actually it made me think alot about myself.
NGBookworm97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngbookworm97.html

Post by NGBookworm97 »

I just finished Fangirl and loved it so much! There were time when I came across a quote or passage from this book, and felt like the author must have found a way to get inside my head, because I could relate to it so much. It's one of those books that makes you feel like you're not alone.
wanderingmuses
Favorite Author: Too many.
Favorite Book: Way too many.
Currently Reading: The Darkest Minds.
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanderingmuses.html

Post by wanderingmuses »

I really really enjoyed this book; I finished it in a day! This will always be a favorite of mine because it gave me so many fuzzy feelings. I like Rainbow Rowell's writing style in general so I enjoy all her books but this one is my favorite. The characters were just so real and relatable and the environment was something many can put themselves in. She did a great job with this book and I can't wait for more of her work.
DizBird95

Post by DizBird95 »

I'm about half way through Fangirl at the moment and I see so much of myself in Cath. I don't know how Rainbow Rowell has managed to do it but I can feel myself feeling the same emotions as Cath as I read and it's almost like I am in Cath's mind.

Quick question aswell, Am I the only person torn between wanting Cath to date Nick but also wanting her to date Levi?
Court-27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-court-27.html

Post by Court-27 »

I read Fangirl the same day I finished Eleanor and Park. Cath's character took me back to my freshman year in college along with all the fear and insecurities that go along with it. Like her I went to school with my sister and struggled to find my own identity. I enjoyed watching Cath gain her voice and her confidence apart from Wren.
Gemma Nicholls
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemma-nicholls.html

Post by Gemma Nicholls »

Fangirl is a real down to earth book, with a lot of relatable content (for me anyway) as the main character, Cath, is in love with her hobbies of reading and writing, and is struggling to fit in with her new life at university, and trying to keep up with her party animal twin sister, Wren.
gyaniwasp
Currently Reading: City of Heavenly Fire
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by gyaniwasp »

Most people who read probably know what a Fnagirl is and this book really portrays the connections, people who love to read books can make. It is very relatble, which makes it very interesting. Eevn though i am not very into Realistic fiction, it grabbed my attention.
If you love books, you love thi one!
miadoubleu

Post by miadoubleu »

Fangirl is my favorite book of all time. I have many favorite books, but Fangirl outshines them all.

As someone who suffers from very severe anxiety, it was pretty amazing to read about some one who is just like me. Who can't eat in the cafeteria because which line is the right line? What if there are no empty tables? Rainbow Rowell doesn't sugar coat the social anxieties that plague Cath and so many others and she shows just how hard life can be when you don't have proper coping systems in place. I read this book just as I finished my first year of college, conveniently as Cather Avery begins hers at a university too far away from her family. Cath is a fangirl to the extreme, with an online fan fiction following of thousands. With her twin sister falling into the party life and away from everything she and Cath have in common, Cath must figure out how to navigate this new life with her anxieties, school work, and dedicated readers.
emilyjune2011
Currently Reading: Better Than Before
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyjune2011.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by emilyjune2011 »

On a plane ride home I recently knocked out "Fangirl" by Rainbow Rowell. I had come across her books often, and decided I would give it a try for some easy reading on the plane.

The books follows the story of Cath, a college freshman and twin, who is without her sister Wren close by for the first time in her life. Cath is a famous writer in the world of fanfiction, but has had trouble in the real world. The book follows a year in her life, including the return of her estranged mother, a mental breakdown from her dad, and falling in love with someone unexpected.

This is the first book I've read by Rainbow Rowell, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. At a hefty ~400 pages, it was surprisingly easy to knock out in a few hours. I give it a 4/4 stars, especially considering I don't often read young adult literature any more. I'm looking forward to picking up "Carry On," which is actually the story the character of Cath is writing in this book.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”