The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bailers77
Favorite Author: Terry Goodkind
Currently Reading: The Scorch Trials
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bailers77.html
fav_author_id: 5284

The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind

Post by Bailers77 »

I personally love all of Goodkind's books but it seems as though not many people have heard of or read the books. If you have, what are your opinions. (PS There was also a television series based off the books that ran for two seasons if you have any thoughts on that also)
nurse38
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nurse38 »

I really enjoyed these books and have actually read them more than once. My favorite in the series was definitely the first book. I loved how different it was from other books. I felt Terry Goodkind was truly unique in his stories and characters. The Mord Siths were great. I do think the series really started to drag after book four. I kept buying the additional books hoping they would be as good as the first several, but I never liked them as much. I never saw the tv series so no opinion on that.
Bailers77

Post by Bailers77 »

Yeah I have read the first one like four times. The middle got a little slow but I think it picked up in Chainfire.
Dennismenis321

Post by Dennismenis321 »

I just started the second book in the series. I Loved the first book. I am a big fan of fantasy type books, and while this one started out similar(so I thought) it was actually a truly original piece of work. I was expecting a group of misfits thrown into an impossible situation and the little guys win out. THIS book was nothing like that if you read long enough to learn who the characters actually are... Terry Goodkind weaves a wonderful tale which left me feeling an emotional attachment to the characters who are shown to have much more depth than a lot of books I have read. I could imagine their physical pain and almost Feel their emotional pain as I was reading. I found this book to be unpredictable as I couldn't imagine where it was leading or whether good would actually win or lose. The second book "Stone of Tears" resumes the day after the first book ends...no years gone by, or a next generation scenario. When I saw how many pages the first book was(hardcover over 600 pages) I thought...this better be good. After getting the second book in paperback at about 900 pages...I am thinking about the "four-course meal" I am about to devour. :D
Bailers77

Post by Bailers77 »

Just make sure you keep reading them because I didn't really like Pillars of Creation but the Chainfire Trilogy is great.
Dennismenis321

Post by Dennismenis321 »

Bailers77, was the TV series you are referring to entitled "The Seeker:The Dark is Rising"? I watched a couple episodes of that years ago, but I don't really remember it except that it was about a young boy...unlike the start of this series of books. If that is what you are referring to, where does it fit in the series of books...no spoilers please. It was on Netflix.

My mistake, just found "Legend of the Seeker" on Netflix... Is "The Seeker:The Dark is Rising" about the later books, or a prequel or unrelated?
Bailers77

Post by Bailers77 »

No, "the Seeker: The Dark is Rising" is something completely different and has nothing to do with this series.
Dennismenis321

Post by Dennismenis321 »

Thanks for the info. I will finish the books, but want to check out the TV version too...but books first.
arnoldmommy2

Post by arnoldmommy2 »

I really loved them for awhile but then felt like they got long-winded and predictable.
ewyna34

Post by ewyna34 »

What is the newest book in that series? And I'm not sure that I read all of them...would anyone be kind enough to list them in proper order so I can figure out what I'm missing? I was out of touch with the internet for several years and so may have missed a few is why I ask.
AmandaR
Favorite Author: Way too many to list
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandar.html
Latest Review: "Cinque Terre, Florence, Umbria" by Enrico Massetti

Post by AmandaR »

Hey,

I just wanted to thank-you all for the comments on this book. I have heard so much about Terry Goodkind, but no real details or reasons for liking him. This discussion helped me in deciding whether to read the books or not. I think I will… :-)
"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain." - Emily Dickenson
Latest Review: "Cinque Terre, Florence, Umbria" by Enrico Massetti
danagirl1976

Post by danagirl1976 »

I first read Wizards First Rule in 95. I love this series, and always recommend it to my friends. Kahlan, Richard, Cara and Zed are some of my all time favorite characters. While there were a couple of books in the series I didn't care for, it didn't take away from the beauty of the whole. I can't describe how disgusted I was by the TV series. They took noble brave Richard, and turned him into some bumbling nit-wit. I can live with a show making "creative" changes to the plot, but don't turn the main characters into a joke...
supernerdural

Post by supernerdural »

I watched the TV series "Legend of the Seeker" and have been curious about the books ever since. Are they worth a read? I have heard some good things about them but also that they aren't particularly fast paced so it takes patience to continue.
Ayakashi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayakashi.html

Post by Ayakashi »

I really love these books! I think my favorite is the first, as with most series, but the later ones have there good spots too. I absolutely love Zed. he's always so funny. Unfortunately, I'm finding it hard to get the later Chainfire books at the library, so I'm stuck on the second of those. I also really liked, uh, Naked empire, I think it was. I love when someone is in a bad situation, and not only do they make the best of it, but they also end up helping others make the best of it. ^_^
sarahstark
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahstark.html

Post by sarahstark »

Me, i saw the tv series before i read the books (which i still haven't finished, its a long series! but worth it) and i really liked them.

I really liked the story, and the characters, and i loved the on screen chemistry between richard and kahlan

however, once reading the books, i couldn't help but notice...quite a few differences between the TV series and the books. So i wouldn't get your hopes up for a series that accurately televises the books that you love to read, but on its own and kind of separately, the TV series was pretty good.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”