The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
diggks58
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diggks58.html

Re: The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind

Post by diggks58 »

I am so glad that this book is included here. I agree with a lot of the posts that the depth of the characters is absolutely amazing! The world Goodkind created is huge and deep and the way he writes allows me to picture it in my head in great detail. One of the things that strikes me most about these books is the religious and faith aspects of the book. The themes of religion being used as an element of control are very compelling. Richard’s role regarding free will seems to be a theme throughout the entire series. The clash between fate and free will really made these books deep on another level. It can be related to many of the clashes going on in the world today on some level.

Pillars of the Earth is definitely my least favorite book of the series. In my opinion it took away from the entire series. I think it could have been mingled into another book. On the other hand, I absolutely loved Debt of Bones, which is a bit of a history book of their world. But the first book will always be my favorite.

I am just starting the Omen Machine. I am excited to read more books from this world.
DorianC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorianc.html

Post by DorianC »

I liked the first twelve books of the series, at some points in time, it was painful to keep reading. Mr. Goodkind does get a little long winded. But the newer ones, "the Omen Machine" and "the Law of Nines" had me sighing. To me, they felt a little forced.
MuchoLoco

Post by MuchoLoco »

I loved reading the sword of truth series. His characters are amazing. He lost mea bit starting with omen machine. I was super excited when I heard there was gong to be a tv series, but ended up being disappointed. Only watched a few episodes. It deserved hbo, show time, or another station that could capture the true gore, grittiness, and intensity.
Norma_Rudolph
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4245">The Gift of Lies</a>
Currently Reading: Enchantment
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-norma-rudolph.html
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by Norma_Rudolph »

I know I've read this series, but danged if I can remember what it was about. I sort of remember it being good. Guess I'll have to dig it up again and read it. Thanks for the reminder.
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
carriemidmo

Post by carriemidmo »

I looooved the series! I was actually pretty bummed out that WGN was the station to pick up the series for television. I didn't think that they were going to be able to do a good job of telling the story. I found Terry Goodkind's writing to have a really wonderful flow. The way that he was able to jump from one character to another and still weave all their individual stories into the main story was great, that's not something that too many authors do. Most authors seem to tell the story from one individual's point of view. I would love to check out his other series and hopefully plow through those just as ferociously!
Rogue135
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rogue135.html

Post by Rogue135 »

I agree. The series was awesome. I would, however, have liked to have seen Richard be a bit bigger as to fit more accurately with Terry's description in the books, but overall it was well adapted. Terry Goodkind is a wonderful author!
break out
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-break-out.html

Post by break out »

I haven't read the books yet.Have only seen the t.v. show.I loved the show but I wasn't sure about reading the books.But I think I will now since you all seem to enjoy it so much.I just hope I don't start hating the show after do to disappointment.
Saffhira
Currently Reading: The Complete Works of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saffhira.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Saffhira »

The show did not do justice to the books at all, in my opinion. I was incredibly disappointed in it and was a little scared that it would reflect badly upon the books. Goodkind is a great author and his characters are real and down to earth. He knows how to make you feel fear and love and sadness. But he can also make you laugh, which is important.
Lauralan
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Lauralan »

I'm glad to see there's a topic about The Sword of Truth series because those are one of my favorite book series.

I really liked the first book because it portrayed Richard more as a normal humain being and less overpowerd. He needed to use logic to think about the solution instead of focusing on the problem. I really liked that about the first book.

Although, my favorite book of this series is Faith of the Fallen. In this sequel, we learn more about his ennemies and we realize that everything is not all black and white. Its not all about good guys and bad guys. Nicci is one of my favorite characters as I feel a little bit like her, and I love how Terry Goodking has developped her in this book. This is also a very important part for Khalan as we see another aspect of her, how she can be a merciless leader when its needed.

I'd love to discuss more about it but I dont want to put any spoilers for those who have not read the books yet.

I know Faith of the Fallen is not the most apreciated book of the series but I'd like to know if any of you liked it, or disliked it, and for what reasons?
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

I have to say I did struggle reading through the first book and found it quite a simple straight forward story however I stuck with the series due to friend's remarks and I have to say the more books you read in the series, the more depth the character's get. By the last book I didn't want the series to end
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
JeremyDeJournett
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremydejournett.html

Post by JeremyDeJournett »

I loved the Sword of Truth series and the continuing Richard and Kahlan books that have followed. The characters are well developed and while there is a typical struggle between good and evil Goodkind does a great job relating that in evil's own mind its actually doing nothing wrong, or at least that the wrong is justified. By the time I was done reading the series I was well and truly invested in the characters.

As far as the show... Well there are some things the world would just be better without.
aparsons
Bookshelf Size: 498
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aparsons.html
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri

Post by aparsons »

I read all these books at least twice, but Goodkind can get a little preachy, especially in Faith of the Fallen. I remember reading the Chainfire books in college and RAGING against Richard and Kahlan's situation, like literally pacing, screaming and crying. I got soooo mad! I'm glad it finally worked out though.
“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri
afreddy4
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afreddy4.html

Post by afreddy4 »

This was my first introduction to Fantasy and oh my goodness I'm hooked. I listened to the audio book on my long drives from Iowa to Colorado with Sam Tsoutsouvas as the narrator. Terry Goodkind writes such detailed characters that are dynamic and growing throughout the book. Kahlan is one of my favorite characters of all time and her strength in the book is refreshing in a world where women are usually the ones needing saved. I loved how Goodkind developed the love story between Richard and Kahlan leaving the reader wondering what was going to happen. There were parts of the book that were a little slow and I felt like I was waiting for the next reveal, but Goodkind used that time to continually build the world and the characters so I wasn't bored at any point. I'm currently reading the second book of the series, but so far the first remains my favorite.
verg70
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verg70.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by verg70 »

The TV series was good, but made for young adults, so had less violence than the books. That being said, it is still worth watching.

The books are amazing in my opinion, yes they did get a little slow in the middle, but the main story certainly ended with a bang in the Chainfire trilogy. The next three books seemed to be just an afterthought to try and extend the series, maybe they should not have been written, but either way, any lover of fantasy should read these, especially Wizard's First Rule.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
Mkitty-Reads
Favorite Author: Robert Jackson Bennett
Currently Reading: Gork, the Teenage Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reading Device: B0726372G4
fav_author_id: 7501

Post by Mkitty-Reads »

I didn't like the tv series.. thought it was blah after the first. Has anyone read the newest of Terry's Sword of Truth Books? The Omen Machine, I believe is where I left off. I have the newest about Nikki!! So excited to read more about her!!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”