Book Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NovaJay2415
Favorite Author: Suzanne Collins
Favorite Book: Cinder
Currently Reading: Sylo Icecore
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novajay2415.html
fav_author_id: 2536

Book Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Post by NovaJay2415 »

Hello!

Here is my first book review:

Cinder by Marissa Meyer was a debut, incredibly written novel, which takes place in a futuristic world. Cinder works as a mechanic in New Beijing, providing for her vial step mother and somewhat kind step sisters. This world is anywhere but safe, for there is a looming plaque the haunts the land of New Beijing, threatening to destroy all of the people living. When one her sisters catches the plaque, her step mother convicts the blame on Cinder and raging hatred spurs between the two. Cinder's step mother, out of complete disgust, tells her she may not tend the annual ball. But, once Cinder's life gets intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai, already pronounced to be married with the princess from the moon, everything goes wrong. Cinder is now caught up in a galactic struggle against the future queen. A twist on the original book, Cinderella, Cinder must face her own hardening complications, even more so than Cinderella. For no one knows that the fate of the Earth is in one cyborg's hands.

Aubrey Gonzalez (Please comment and tell me how I did, it would be greatly appreciated!)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

It sounds like a good book. I saw on the net it is part of a series.

Thank you. You wrote well for a first review. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
NovaJay2415

Post by NovaJay2415 »

Thank you so much!! It means a lot! :D I see I put the wrong word in one of the sentences... I meant *that :(
mbeasley
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbeasley.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by mbeasley »

So would you recommend reading this book? I've seen it and haven't picked it up yet, but found it very intriguing.
NovaJay2415

Post by NovaJay2415 »

I would highly recommend for you to read this book! It is defiantly one of my favorites!
yalonde
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yalonde.html
Latest Review: "The Road To Comfort" by Becky Lower

Post by yalonde »

As I was scrolling down the discussion topics I saw this topic and I thought, "O my gosh, I simply must really to that. I love Cinder!" By my reflection to a simple discussion topic you wouldn't think I actually had this book on my To Read shelf before actually reading it. I did though, but the only reason I'm happy i left it on my shelf for so long is because I was able to read Scarlet right away. Unfortunately I had to wait a few months to read Cress. I love allbthree. It took me 1/4 of the book, Cinder, to get into it, but when i did it was good. I actually had dreams about it. Lol. Signs of a good book, if i have to say.
Latest Review: "The Road To Comfort" by Becky Lower
krismags
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krismags.html
Latest Review: "Love to Believe" by Lisa Ricard Claro

Post by krismags »

Someone mentioned this is the beginning of a series- is the series complete? If not, does the author write the books quickly? I hate starting a good series like that and having to wait two years to find out how it ends
sarahstark
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahstark.html

Post by sarahstark »

The series is not yet complete. The first 3 books (the writer intends it to be a 4 book series) have all come out already, with Cress (the third) having come out earlier this year, and Winter (the fourth, and final) book set to come out either in this year or the next

This book series is one i stumbled onto and am profoundly glad that i did. Meyer takes the classic realm of fairy-tales (cinder being cinderella, Scarlet being Little red riding hood, Cress being rapunzel, and Winter being Snow White) and makes them completely her own. This is a PHENOMENAL book series that i would recommend to anyone who likes a sci-fi take on a classic fairy tale
Little House
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game or maybe Enders Shadow
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-house.html
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
fav_author_id: 2667

Post by Little House »

I also really enjoyed this series. The author did a great job with both character development and world building. It really drew me in.
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
krismags
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krismags.html

Post by krismags »

I read Cinder based on this review, and I'm so glad I did! It was exactly the kind of book I was looking for- I love retold fairy tales, but I hate how predictable they can be. There were definitely some twists I didn't see coming! Thanks so much for the suggestion, and I can't wait to read the others as soon as I can find them!
NovaJay2415

Post by NovaJay2415 »

I am so glad that you found my review helpful and also glad you found the book as enjoyable as I did. :D
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

This is a great book. I haven't had a chance to read the other two yet, but it was definitely intriguing enough to read all three.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
GeonnaMarie
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geonnamarie.html
Latest Review: "Breathing Life Into a Faded Heart" by A. Reece

Post by GeonnaMarie »

I remember seeing this book all over, but I just didn't bother to check it out. After seeing that you guys liked it so much, I'll definitely have to put it on my "to read" list.
"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." - Robert Frost.
Latest Review: "Breathing Life Into a Faded Heart" by A. Reece
katherine_sims

Post by katherine_sims »

Cinder was a random pick at the local used book store for me. I have found a recent interest in everything fairy-tale like.I picked it up off the shelf and read the description. I will admit that I almost put it back, but at such a steal of a price, I decided to buy it any way. It follows the story of Cinder, a character loosely based on Cinderella, a cyborg in the future. There are also Lunar people, and futuristic technology. It sounded like a jumble of random story lines that could in no way make a decent book. I was proven wrong. It turned out to be an amazing story with an excellent character base, between robots, aliens, cyborgs, and royalty, there was a character for all kinds of readers to enjoy. It was a mixture of romance, sci-fi, technology and machinery talk,adventure, and suspense. It could have gone wrong in so many ways but Meyer did an excellent job with this story. I had to run out and buy the second book in the saga!
kfagan-14
Currently Reading: Darkness Falling
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfagan-14.html
Latest Review: "When Dragons Die" by Mark Franzosa

Post by kfagan-14 »

This book/series sounds great, I can't wait to go pick up a copy!
Latest Review: "When Dragons Die" by Mark Franzosa

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”