The Uglies series

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kate_Emme
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-emme.html

Re: The Uglies series

Post by Kate_Emme »

I have only read Uglies so far, but I was impressed with the story. It was certainly unlike any story I have read before. What interested me was my own attitude toward the "pretty" process. To not give anything away, at first I really wanted the main character to get what she thought she wanted. But as the story moves forward, I felt I was having my perception of the goal of being "pretty" changed. I thought it was well written and I already recommended to a friend.
lse322
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lse322.html

Post by lse322 »

I read found these books on my school bookshelf and loved them burned through them. It gave me something to think about as I was trying to figure out who I was.
inksomniareads
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inksomniareads.html
Latest Review: "Under A Blood Moon" by Michael Andrews

Post by inksomniareads »

I definitely enjoyed the series, though I haven't read Extras yet (and might not, as I've heard it's from Shay's POV and she was probably my least favorite character). I do think that the idea behind it is something that could definitely happen in the future. I even wrote an essay about it for a children's lit class I was taking. There's always a story out there about bullying or so and so was photoshopped in a magazine and got controversy for it, etc.
Latest Review: "Under A Blood Moon" by Michael Andrews
Bookworm4ever

Post by Bookworm4ever »

Uglies has been recommended to me by a friend, I really want to read it as it sounds really good! What are the other books in the series?!
bookw0rmtales

Post by bookw0rmtales »

I loved this series so much! I didn't realise it was so popular, I thought it was seriously underrated. Anyways, I bought it cause it sounded fairly interested and I just fell in love. I found myself speaking in the characters voices, saying things were 'bubbly' and so on (you'll know what I'm talking about if you've read it). I still haven't read Extras yet though, but it sounds like something I'll definitely have to get round to!
danniiiilove
Favorite Author: Margaret Atwood
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter Series
Currently Reading: The Truesight Trilogy
fav_author_id: 3668

Post by danniiiilove »

Such a great series! one of the first I read that set me off on my dystopian obsession! If you liked the Uglies, check out my Pinterst page of similar books! I've personally ready every single one and wouldn't have added them if I didn't think they were worth reading. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to post links yet so just add the last half of the URL located below to the ending of the pinterest address and get to reading! :mrgreen:
Last edited by gali on 02 May 2014, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No links or self-promotion is allowed
Bookworm0266
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm0266.html
Latest Review: "Other (This title is supposed to have a checkmark in front of it, but the form disallowed it.)" by Cindy Campopiano

Post by Bookworm0266 »

I liked the first book. I haven't read the rest of the series yet. I heard there might be a movie for it though?
Latest Review: "Other (This title is supposed to have a checkmark in front of it, but the form disallowed it.)" by Cindy Campopiano
kczinn

Post by kczinn »

I really loved this series (need to re-read it...it's been awhile). I've read some of Scott Westerfeld's other books and they were also really well written.
Sarah1
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah1.html
Latest Review: "The Paranormal Gazette" by Anthony Bartholomew

Post by Sarah1 »

I saw the second in this series at the local thrift store and had it in my hands. It sounded really good but I wanted to read the first one before the second. Now I definitely have to find it!!!
"You're never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book and read to a child." Dr. Seuss
Latest Review: "The Paranormal Gazette" by Anthony Bartholomew
thsavage2
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thsavage2.html
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday

Post by thsavage2 »

I really liked this series and I think it's underrated by a lot of people. The worldbuilding is great, and has almost-Orwellian flavors of dystopia. The premise is also an interesting and unique one. Tally is a great character and also a great strong female character role model. She is strong and quick-thinking and courageous. There are plenty of action sequences and the novel moves along very well. I recommend the whole series, which gets more complex and intricate as it progresses. I wish more people had read these books!
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday
sflaherty42
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sflaherty42.html
Latest Review: "Your Career in a Fish Bowl" by Michael L Wilson

Post by sflaherty42 »

I like the message that these books have. It was delivered in a very interesting and exciting way.
Latest Review: "Your Career in a Fish Bowl" by Michael L Wilson
allesha
Favorite Author: Scott Westerfeld
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allesha.html
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
fav_author_id: 3521

Post by allesha »

I read this series a long time ago and it is still one of my favorite series ever. Scott Westerfield is incredible!
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
lolripops
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolripops.html

Post by lolripops »

Uglies, book one of the Uglies series, by Scott Westerfeld.

I've heard many reviews for this book, both good and bad. In the end, I still read the book.

As the first of a series, I understand that it's really pressured in making a big entrance and to do well to promote the following books. The plot line was very different and I have not heard anything remotely similar to it before. The author did a very good job with world building, he was able to give us a clear understanding of the community and the way things were. The writing style was the normal and simple style. It was very straight forward and to the point.

Uglies is another one of those books with major character development. It has Tally, at the start, who wants to a Pretty more than anything in the world and then the middle where she changes her mind and wants to stay an Ugly. This book also has a lot of real life themes in it, which make it all the more interesting and worthwhile. Friendship, betrayal are just a few to name.

-- 26 Nov 2014, 14:35 --

Uglies, book one of the Uglies series, by Scott Westerfeld.

I've heard many reviews for this book, both good and bad. In the end, I still read the book.

As the first of a series, I understand that it's really pressured in making a big entrance and to do well to promote the following books. The plot line was very different and I have not heard anything remotely similar to it before. The author did a very good job with world building, he was able to give us a clear understanding of the community and the way things were. The writing style was the normal and simple style. It was very straight forward and to the point.

Uglies is another one of those books with major character development. It has Tally, at the start, who wants to a Pretty more than anything in the world and then the middle where she changes her mind and wants to stay an Ugly. This book also has a lot of real life themes in it, which make it all the more interesting and worthwhile. Friendship, betrayal are just a few to name.
Janik
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janik.html

Post by Janik »

Read the first book and its was good...more of a 3.5 or 4 stars kinda book if I'm being honest. Loved the action in the last half of the as well as the main character and others a few. Really loved the covers though!
Aspen_Reads
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice+ The Notebook
Currently Reading: too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspen-reads.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Aspen_Reads »

I absolutely LOVE this series, but I didn't like Extras as much as I liked the others. I definitely keep coming back to this series to re-read, as it is just that good!
"I was born with a reading list I will never finish." -Maud Casey

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”