Good Omens

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ericao
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericao.html

Good Omens

Post by ericao »

One of my favorite Neil Gaiman books is Good Omens, co-written by Terry Pratchett.

Good Omens is a comedic look at the Apocalypse as seen by an angel named Aziraphale and his unlikely friend, a demon named Crowley, whom neither want the end to come just yet. During the years leading up to the end, the Antichrist is misplaced, a witch in possession of The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter (the only accurate prophecy book in existence) is cross-referencing her notes in preparation, the Four Horsemen are assembling, and Aziraphale and Crowley fight to keep the world going.

While the plot description seems heavy, this book will keep anyone laughing hysterically (I'm surprised I didn't embarrass myself by doing so during a Chemistry review). It takes everything we fear about the end of the world as we know it and makes us laugh in its face. Good Omens is the perfect literary marriage between two sarcastic British authors that binds together their unique styles into a finely-tuned comedy. If that doesn't follow a Divine Plan, then nothing does.
CONSTARA
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-constara.html

Post by CONSTARA »

I agree, love the change in references to things we've always heard, like the Four Bikers of the Apocalypse. The humor takes one of the heaviest subjects of our world and gives you the comic slant! A bit of tongue in cheek and away we go!
ladyvzhang
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyvzhang.html

Post by ladyvzhang »

I just finished this book, but I really felt like I either wasn't British enough or I wasn't biblically-versed enough to get the full experience. For example, when the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse appeared for the first time, I didn't immediately make the connection. Only after some Google searching did I get it. I loved what I did understand, and thought it was incredibly clever and funny. I just wasn't holding my sides laughing like some of my friends were doing.
Blackbeez
Favorite Author: V.C. Andrews
Favorite Book: Candles Burning by Tabitha King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackbeez.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
fav_author_id: 2869

Post by Blackbeez »

Sorry.. I didn't realize there was an open topic on this book, so I'll re post my review here.. I am happy to see others on the site have read it!
This book is a great humorous interpretation of Armageddon. Who would think that the end of the world could be funny? Apparently these great authors.
Keeping in tune with traditional stories of the Apocalypse, the Anti-Christ, earth-bound angels and demons; Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett weave a delightful tale about the end of the world, everyone's opinion on it, and the very level headed little boy that is supposed to be the Anti-Christ.
When the Powers that Be decide it is time and begin to unleash the great old plan, it is up to one strange partnership between an Angel and a Demon to save the world. Not because they care you see... but because one has a book store to maintain and the other can't live without the music of Queen.
With the help of some Witch Hunters and one descendant who carries the craziest but true prophecies about their situation, the Angel and the Demon do their best to prevent the downfall of mankind.. and it's not easy. It's a true surprise to find out who actually does save the day in the end.
Great book. I totally agree that it will keep you laughing.. I was asked many times what I was reading lol!
"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree" - Martin Luther
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
missjavert
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missjavert.html

Post by missjavert »

One of the things I'll always remember about this book is an interview with Neil and Terry that was included in my copy. They said that out of all of the books either of them had written, this was the one that fans always said they dropped in the bath while reading. I think that could be a testament to several things--how readable it is, maybe, or how hard it makes one laugh (hard enough to drop it?), or how it makes a reader feel all bubbly and warm inside, rather like a bubbly, warm bath. I don't know. I just love this book to bits but hope personally that I'll never drop it in the bath...

(It's 1:40 a.m. and apparently all I can contribute to a conversation is drivel about bath time. Lovely.)
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

CONSTARA wrote:I agree, love the change in references to things we've always heard, like the Four Bikers of the Apocalypse. The humor takes one of the heaviest subjects of our world and gives you the comic slant! A bit of tongue in cheek and away we go!
Great book, and one of the funniest I have ever read. There are too many funny incidents in this book to mention in one post but one that comes to mind is the biker who kept changing his name. I swear to God I was laughing so hard I was crying and gasping for breath.

Highly recommend this book to anyone who needs a good laugh.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

A novel where even footnotes are a source of fun. Sometimes I lost track of the plot because of all the funny bits but in this case that's not a problem. I know that people can have very subjective reactions to humor, still I recommend reading Good Omens.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Jade1692
Currently Reading: Healing Anger
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jade1692.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jade1692 »

Even though this book has been out for a while, I just read it at the end of last year. Oh my stars I couldn't stop laughing! So many good witticisms, so many irreverent scenes to modern day religious thought, so many blurred lines that we (rightly) should be thinking about...

As a nod to those who didn't like it or didn't get the book, I understand. I am an American myself, but I grew up reading British novels and watching British shows. It's a different kind of humor than the American brand. And while reading it, because I laughed so much, my (also American) friend asked to borrow it after me. She couldn't get through the first 50 pages, thought it was boring, and definitely didn't get any of the humor.

Have any of you see the Amazon Prime show of this though? Casting is SPOT ON, and I think it's a bit more accessible to everyone, though the humor is somehow just the same XD
mblmn_mortician
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mblmn-mortician.html
Latest Review: High Hopes by Sue Lilley

Post by mblmn_mortician »

It took me a while to get into the book, but it truly is hilarious. The characters are snarky and witty, and the way Gaiman and Pratchett share their funny and upside down perspective on the concept of Armageddon is well thought out and clever. I probably enjoyed the show on Amazon Prime more than reading the book, to be honest, but I'm a huge David Tennant fan.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

In the show at least part of the book's humor can be adapted and works thanks to Michael Sheen and David Tennant offering terrific performances playing the two unlikely friends. That humor might be more accessible in the TV show than in the book, at least for someone.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

It seems like there is so much going on in this book...
AdamRedWolf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamredwolf.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by AdamRedWolf »

I couldn't read past about halfway through the first book. The narrative style was just not doing for me. I don't know why I keep trying to like Gaiman... American Gods was the only book of his I didn't hate, but people keep recommending his books, and I keep trying them. I think this book put an end to my Gaiman reading for good.
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
- Bokonon (Kurt Vonnegut), Cat's Cradle

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”