Any Steampunk recommendations?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
authorkcfinn
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-authorkcfinn.html

Any Steampunk recommendations?

Post by authorkcfinn »

I am really into this genre at the moment and I'd like to know of any more good steampunk books out there!
I have read The Steampunk Omnibus by Michael Coorlim, Steel Lily by Megan Curd and am currently reading The Steampunk Chronicles by Kady Cross.
What else is there?
FNAWrite
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by FNAWrite »

A guy named Mark Hodder has written at least a couple of books set in a steampunkish 19th century England, featuring historical figures Sir Richard Burton and Algernon Swinburne as his protagonists. One is called "The Strange Affair of Spring-heeled Jack", the other I know of is a follow-up to that volume.

Worth reading for the interesting milieu and alternate history.
authorkcfinn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-authorkcfinn.html

Post by authorkcfinn »

Even from the title I think I'd like that one. Thank you I'll put them on my wish list now and investigate!
terrametoo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terrametoo.html

Post by terrametoo »

I have to read one of these too. I keep hearing about this genre but I don't see what's so special about sci-fi with steam powered machines as opposed to modern technology. Not to be rude or anything but can anyone tell me what the allure is? Are the plots and characters that different from sci-fi using other technology and how?
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

"Are the plots and characters that different from sci-fi using other technology and how?"

I don't think there is particularly a great difference in plots or characters - no more than one would find in the larger over-arching genre of science-fiction.

Steam punk has its features. I like to think of the difference between a mechanical watch and a digital. Pull the back away from both and which one will give the more interesting and complex view?
jenrobot2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenrobot2.html

Post by jenrobot2 »

There's a new one that just came out, "The Falconer" by Elizabeth May. It's pretty good; it's about the human world being invaded by the fey and people who specially train to kick fairy butt alongside a mysterious fairy who for some reason wants to kills his own kind. It's set in old Scotland yet their world has modern technology like helicopters and mechanical drink dispensers. The female protagonist is really big on revenge as well so don't expect any wimpy female lead.
MaureenT

Post by MaureenT »

An un-recommendation - DON'T read Etiquette and Espionage. It looks like it should be awesome and proceeds to have no plot and mediocre writing.
The only steampunk-like book I've read that I'd actually recommend is The Rithmatist, which is set in a kind of clockpunk/steampunk world.
rachelseamount
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelseamount.html

Post by rachelseamount »

I just finished Fiddlehead by Cherie Priest. It's part of her Clockwork Century series and the first of her books that I have read. I would say that it was a decent read and definitely had some great steampunk elements. Some parts did stretch out a bit, but it was quick and entertaining.
voraciousreader
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-voraciousreader.html

Post by voraciousreader »

Check out Gail Carringer's series The Parasol Protectorate. Then there always the father of steampunk, Terry Pratchett.
inksomniareads
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inksomniareads.html
Latest Review: "Under A Blood Moon" by Michael Andrews

Post by inksomniareads »

I really enjoyed Boneshaker by Cherie Priest. It's a part of the Clockwork Century series (book 1, I believe, unless there's a prequel). It's steampunk with zombie-like elements. Each book in the series focuses on a different character and a different location, but I believe it all ties in with Boneshaker, at least to a point.
Latest Review: "Under A Blood Moon" by Michael Andrews
Charlotteniblett7
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlotteniblett7 »

I think both of Gail Carrigers' series are interesting reads, but I am enjoying the finishing school series as it introduces you to the steampunk/espionage world from a young females pov which I find easy to read and very entertaining.
ThosHowellBookReview
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: Black Hills
Currently Reading: Man and his Symbols by Carl Jung
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thoshowellbookreview.html
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by ThosHowellBookReview »

I started reading Boneshaker but didn't finish it. Reading a review of it on this forum has caused me to take it down from my steampunk shelf and start to read it again.

-- 22 Nov 2014, 16:58 --

I started reading Boneshaker but didn't finish it. Reading a review of it on this forum has caused me to take it down from my steampunk shelf and start to read it again.
andthemusicfades
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkein
Favorite Book: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Currently Reading: Subject Seven
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andthemusicfades.html
fav_author_id: 12163

Post by andthemusicfades »

The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare was awesome, and I really like The Constantine Affliction by T. Aaron Payne. Payne's novel is definitely for more mature readers, but its a shorter read and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
JVa1encia
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jva1encia.html

Post by JVa1encia »

voraciousreader wrote:Check out Gail Carringer's series The Parasol Protectorate. Then there always the father of steampunk, Terry Pratchett.
I second this reading selection. My younger sister is in to Steampunk and I thought I'd try the genre for three reasons: something new, werewolves and vampires, and adventure/mystery. I was not disappointed but then again I don't have other books to compare it to as of now.
Batesblogger
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Titans Curse
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batesblogger.html
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by Batesblogger »

Viridris.
Somewhere out there is a world we never knew existed.

Languages never spoken.
Colors that should not be.
Lives never opened.
Eyes that never see.

And then the page is turned, a universe created.

We are gods.
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”