Official Review: Twisted - Book One of the Deathwind Tril...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sbanks147
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sbanks147.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Official Review: Twisted - Book One of the Deathwind Tril...

Post by sbanks147 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Twisted - Book One of the Deathwind Trilogy" by Holly Hook.]
Book Cover for 9781493746002
Share This Review

Twisted is about a 16 year old girl who has saved up for years to go on a trip of her lifetime chasing tornados with her uncle. Allie is expecting to have the best summer out of everyone in her high school, but her dream trip turns into a nightmare. The tornado starts out normal, but then seemingly changes course last second and comes straight for them, destroying their vehicle and tearing everyone out of it. Allie wakes up to being kidnapped and put on an alter, where a small tornado is forced into her. She wakes up awhile later back out in the field thinking her kidnapping was all just a nightmare, until she gets back home and realizes that she has been cursed, and almost destroys her town because of it. After her incident her best friend Tommy helps her get out of town before she hurts anyone, and they go in search of the people who kidnapped her to get answers and hopefully a cure. Once they get back to the little town where she was kidnapped, she meets a boy like her and they have a strange connection. The rest of the book is about figuring out the mystery of why she is turned into a tornado when there’s a storm nearby and how to get rid of being able to do this, but then they find out they have bigger problems to worry about as her kidnappers are trying to turn another few hundred people into the same thing Allie is.

I only gave the book 3 stars because I think it could have been better in some ways, such as the romance in the book. Allie’s best friend Tommy goes on the trip with her and at the end of the trip kisses her, but she doesn’t seem to feel passionate about him and just obligated for how much he has helped her. Dorian, the boy she meets in Nebraska who is like her in a way, has a strange connection with her. Dorian seems to like her, and the author does set the stage for more to happen with him in the next book.

The pace of the book was great, as there was almost always action and not many slow parts at all. It made the book easy to read, but I wish that it was a little bit longer and developed more of the characters more. There were quite a bit of interesting characters but were only touched on even though I think they could have been developed more and had more interaction to make the story better.

The story itself is very unique and I have not read anything like it, but it’s not one of my favorites so far. This book about people becoming twisters is the first I have even ever thought about the idea, let alone read a book about it. The logic the teenagers follow does not seem right, and they seem to be overly dramatic about some things that come up. The ending was good though and I will definitely want to read the second book in the series to see where the story is going, especially with the strange connection Allie has with Dorian.

Overall this book is very interesting with a new idea, and there are several possible directions the series can go after this first book. The ending leaves several different possibilities in the reader’s mind about what is going to happen next, and leaves the reader with anticipation about the next book.

I give Twisted by Holly Hook 3 out of 4 stars.

Buy "Twisted - Book One of the Deathwind Trilogy" on Amazon
Buy "Twisted - Book One of the Deathwind Trilogy" on Barnes and Noble

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”