YA Paranormal Romance, or not.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Re: YA Paranormal Romance, or not.

Post by RussetDivinity »

I'm going to agree with three people above and say that Tithe is incredible. It's one of my favorite books to do with the Fae, and the later two books in the series are excellent. I've heard good things about Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr, but I didn't think it was quite as good as Tithe.
Brittany-Anne
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Brittany-Anne »

Written In Red-A Novel of the Others

Honestly not sure if that falls under YA though.
bardgirl
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bardgirl.html

Post by bardgirl »

I love Rachel Caine's Morganville Vampires series. It's also going to be a web series which I'm really excited about.
littlebook
Favorite Author: J.K Rowling
Favorite Book: Will Grayson Will Grayson
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlebook.html
Latest Review: "River of Fire" by Darrell Case

Post by littlebook »

bardgirl wrote:I love Rachel Caine's Morganville Vampires series. It's also going to be a web series which I'm really excited about.
I LOVE that series!!! :D
Latest Review: "River of Fire" by Darrell Case
Deee
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 18984">The Two Towers</a>
Currently Reading: Second Foundation
Bookshelf Size: 1417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deee.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Deee »

Try the overworld chronicles by John Corwin and judgment of the six by Melissa Haag. The prices are fair and the storylines are great.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html

Post by RussetDivinity »

Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins. It's about a junior in high school who gets supernatural powers to protect her least favorite person in the school. It's sweet and funny, and there's definitely romance that feels just right. It's the first in a trilogy, but the rest of the series aren't out yet. Still, it has a very satisfying ending without too much of a sequel hook.
Linda7228
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Blood Weddings by Federico Garcia Lorca
Currently Reading: Heist Society
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linda7228.html
Latest Review: "The Sham" by Ellen Allen
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Linda7228 »

voraciousreader wrote:Check out the Finishing School Series from Gail Carringer. Her writing is quite funny, in a dry, quiet, way. They feature a strong female heroine who uses her wits to get her out of situations involving various supernatural beings. The author also has another series, The Parasol Protectorate, set in the same world, but with more mature characters and situations.
I agree, I loved the Finishing School series and I'm really looking forward to the third one. I also think that you should check out The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa I really enjoyed them.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.” Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I always wanted to read tithe and never got around to it...maybe I can find it sometime.
I love the Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr and the Wings series byvAprilynne Pike.
Blood of Eden series and Iron Fey series both by Julie Kagawa. I'm also looking forward to her new series.
Both Melissa Marr and Aprilynne Pike have some stand alone books that are noteworthy as well.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Bwoodby4405

Post by Bwoodby4405 »

I really like the Luxe novels too! Obsidian is one of my favorite books! I didn't like the the last two books, but the first two were awesome! You should try the ones with Dank Walker. I think the first in the series is Ceaseless
JennaFay
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Hogfather
Currently Reading: Diplomacy of Wolves
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennafay.html
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by JennaFay »

There's two books by Annette Curtis Klause that I would highly recommend

The Silver Kiss is a vampire romance between a 16 year old girl named Zoe and a 300 year old vampire named Simon. It's been compared to Twilight, but it predates it by at least a decade. It's been a long while since I read that one, I remember enjoying it quite a lot, Annette is really good at writing believable teenagers.

The other one is Blood and Chocolate - this one is about werewolves - this time the protagonist IS the werewolf, and not just the love interest of one. I love Blood and Chocolate. Klause's werewolves are different - they're almost an entirely different species from humans and have their own distinct culture, though they do move through the human world. Vivian is probably one of my favorite YA protagonists - she's not always a hero, or even nice but she's always interesting. Neither of these are series, but for quick, one-off reads, I definitely recommend these.
TrivarnaH
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trivarnah.html

Post by TrivarnaH »

I think its great.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I was a big fan of the "Peachville High Demons" and "Breed of Innocence" series. Also the Book called The Hierophant (author Madeline Claire Franklin) is pretty good.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

JennaFay wrote:The other one is Blood and Chocolate - this one is about werewolves - this time the protagonist IS the werewolf, and not just the love interest of one. I love Blood and Chocolate. Klause's werewolves are different - they're almost an entirely different species from humans and have their own distinct culture, though they do move through the human world. Vivian is probably one of my favorite YA protagonists - she's not always a hero, or even nice but she's always interesting. Neither of these are series, but for quick, one-off reads, I definitely recommend these.
Blood and Chocolate is awesome!
The movie sucked to an amount equal to infinity.
I can't believe they took such a beautiful story and made it all about a selfish, oh woe is me, whiny, child.
Read the book people.
This is probably one of the best teen books I've ever read.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Linda7228
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Blood Weddings by Federico Garcia Lorca
Currently Reading: Heist Society
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linda7228.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Linda7228 »

Graverobber wrote:Blood of Eden series and Iron Fey series both by Julie Kagawa. I'm also looking forward to her new series.

I read the blurb for Talon and I'm really looking forward to it. Also speaking of Dragons I read a book recently called Firebolt by Adrienne Woods and I truly fell in love it. The Ignited series by Corrine Jackson is awesome not your traditional YA paranormal romance but I really liked it.
“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.” Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

The Chronicles of Nick series by Sherrilyn Kenyon and The Arcana Chronicles by Kresley Cole!
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”