Marked by P.C. and Kristin Cast

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vorschau
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Marked by P.C. and Kristin Cast

Post by Vorschau »

I thought " Marked" by P.C And Kristin Cast was great. They bought the world into focus on the " Pagan " Religion. Which is awesome since I am a pagan, and a lot of people seem to think its an " evil " thing. This book brought the Characters and Story to life, making you wish to read more of the series. Great book for everyone.
Kate_Emme
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-emme.html

Post by Kate_Emme »

Thanks for the review, I will have to put this one in my to-read list!
whitewing2611
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Wintersmith - Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading: The Sleeping Beauty - Mercedes Lackey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitewing2611.html
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by whitewing2611 »

I enjoyed Marked but I find this series more and more annoying as it goes along. Zoe is an idiot.
JessiFox
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessifox.html

Post by JessiFox »

I really enjoyed most of this series so far. This might be just a random little quirk of mine, but I was SO pleased to see a mother/daughter writing duo that works so well. I also love the accompanying books, "Dragon's Oath" in particular as I really connected with his story and wanted to know more. Some of it is getting a bit redundant, though, and the writing seems to be going down in quality. I'm still looking forward to seeing how they finish the series.
mimi4ever33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimi4ever33.html

Post by mimi4ever33 »

Oh my lord. At first read with knowledge of anything else in the series aside from the fact i had the first book in my hand, I loved the book. Then I read Betrayed which was the second book. Then the third. I wondered how many books it had because for what i had read already, I felt like it was just trying to lengthen and like the author just wrote it for the length. Then i found there is like 14-16 book in the series and that was when I said I am done. It was just horrible. 3 books should have been enough for the series honest to speak but it just kept dragging on and on and I couldn't take it anyone after the 4th book. I was done.
lavinia_mesia
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavinia-mesia.html

Post by lavinia_mesia »

Semi Spoiler--
It's an amazing series, but after the first few, it just started to drag on. For example, the main character just jumps guy to guy- love triangles start to get cliche.
Dezire06
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dezire06.html

Post by Dezire06 »

Marked was a Great book I loved the entire series
MelB
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melb.html

Post by MelB »

This book was really easy to get into and quick to finish I loved how they made it a little different then all the other vampire books we have become so use to. Each book gets better and better.
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

I bought this book during a sale since it was only $3. I never really got around to reading it for a while until I noticed a friend in school reading it. I asked her about it and she gave me a pretty detailed rundown and I realised that it's a pretty interesting concept. The vampyre, as per the title, gets marked with a beautiful marking instead of the usual having to be bitten and such. Ended up collecting the whole set, or at least up to the most current book.
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Britney DeCamp
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Britney DeCamp »

This book is part of a series called The House of Night series. In the first book you meet Zoey Redbird who feels like her mom doesn't care about her anymore. Her mom has gotten remarried to a man who is extremely religious. And in a flash Zoey's life changes when she is chosen to attend The House of Night, a school for vampires. Not knowing what to do she goes to her grandmother for help. What will Zoey do? You'll have to find out yourself. It's a great book. I recommend it to people who love vampires. But mainly young adults. Enjoy! ?
Utpal K Khot
Currently Reading: Green Lady
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by Utpal K Khot »

A Definite recommend.. :)
brandie0773
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandie0773.html

Post by brandie0773 »

I have read this series and really enjoyed it very much... :)
Brienne Bellemare
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brienne-bellemare.html

Post by Brienne Bellemare »

The house of night series is one of my favorite series for supernatural books. Very well written
Kel808
Currently Reading: Nightlord: Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kel808.html

Post by Kel808 »

This book series was by far one of my favorite. How Zoe (and other characters) grows throughout the series is watching a girl turn into a woman. Through all her trials, she is able to really understand the power she has and that is something that few people get to do throughout their real lives. Many of the people on here suggesting the last few books didn't bring that "WOW" factor are correct. The last couple books were difficult to read because there was little to draw you in; it took awhile for me to finish some of them because I got a little bored. There was a point, at the end of one of the books, that you could feel the story had the potential of ending. But more books came out. Sometimes a story can be drawn out pass the point of where it is enjoyable, then it becomes slightly annoying. But overall, all the books were fun to read, even the ones that seemed like they were forced.

The story line is a great twist on vampirism, like you said. And with how many books there are, it allows you to stay in the setting. If you're like me, reading takes you on amazing journeys and when you have a good story, you want to stay in that world. The Marked series does exactly that; it keeps you in their world. Overall, I definitely suggest finishing the series.
Annaruthus
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annaruthus.html

Post by Annaruthus »

I really enjoyed these novels at first. I picked up Marked because I enjoyed P.C. Cast's adult fantasy romance novels. Initially, I was completely drawn into The House of Night series. I had some serious disconnects with Zoe as the protagonist however. In some parts her personality felt forced, and she had some really weak moments. By weak moments, I don't mean that she made bad choices; all humans do that. I meant that the story progresses and she makes super smart choices, and then boom out of nowhere an unexpected bad choice. I think in a novel when choices by the characters are based in certain aspects in their personalities, it seems more natural. If a character is portrayed as a "bleeding heart" for example, and makes a choice to help an antagonistic character to their detriment, it is understandable. Zoe made decisions that just didn't seem to jive with her personality, and I just couldn't continue reading after awhile (I got about 7 books in, FYI).

The twist on Vampirism was a good one. It helped carry me past my disconnect with Zoe. I had never really anything too close to this idea of vampires, and how they blend with our world. It got a little fantastical in some of the later books (I won't ruin it). There were also a lot of parallels between the spiritual/magic system in P.C. Cast's Goddess series and the House of Night. I would have preferred some differences in that vein of the book.

Writing this review kind of makes me want to read them again, but I am worried I'll stop in the same spot as last time :-)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”