Post Apocalyptic books, any recomendations?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MiaeCook
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miaecook.html

Re: Post Apocalyptic books, any recomendations?

Post by MiaeCook »

I absolutely LOVE this genre. To answer your question: Yes. Yes, I definitely have some recommendations.

The Ashes Trilogy - Ilsa J. Bick - is great. I've only read the first book so far, but I just got the second one, so I'll be reading that very soon. It's amazing.

Partials - Dan Wells - is a must. Seriously. Put this one somewhere on your To Read list, please. One of my favorites. I read it as a ebook first, and when I found a hard copy I snatched up without a second thought just to add it to my shelf to read again.

The Hunger Games Trilogy - Suzanne Collins - is one you may have already read, considering how popular it is, or maybe you've at least seen the movies. It really has earned its popularity, though. I've read the series from start to finish twice so far.

The House of the Scorpion - Nancy Farmer - isn't really a post apocalyptic novel, but it does take place in a messed up, future version of our world. It is my second favorite book at the moment, and has been since I read it the first time a few years ago.

the Mindjack Trilogy - Susan Kaye - is another almost-post apocalyptic series. I've only read the ebook versions of these, and I'm not sure if there are any hard copies available.

There are more, but I think I've thrown enough books at you for one post.
Mune
Currently Reading: Revival
Bookshelf Size: 963
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mune.html
Latest Review: "The Silent Shadow" by Patrick Clarke
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Mune »

Use the term Dystopian when searching, that is how I found the good ones. It all depends on your genre likes.
For Horror: The Stand, The Gunslinger Series, and Cell by Stephen King

Teen: Allegiant series Veronica Roth, Legend series by Marie Lu, Enclave series by Ann Aguirre, Life as we Knew It trilogy by Susan Beth Pfeffer, Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins, Maze Runner Trilogy by James Dashner, The Uglies series by Scott Westerfield, Succession series by Scott Westerfield
Latest Review: "The Silent Shadow" by Patrick Clarke
MiaeCook
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miaecook.html

Post by MiaeCook »

I second Life As We Knew It.
Gunner48

Post by Gunner48 »

Hi, I have just read a great book on Kindle (its not out in hard copy yet) called 'A Consequence of Apathy' by NR Baldwin. It follows the fate of four friends as they try to escape poverty and racial tension in a future collapsed Northern Britain. It was really thought provoking with some good plot lines and conclusions. I can really thoroughly recommend it.
malloryraec
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malloryraec.html

Post by malloryraec »

These are all series you have probably heard of, but I love The Giver by Lois Lowry, Uglies by Scott Westerfeld, The Host by Stephanie Meyer, and of course The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.
colleenmoore
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colleenmoore.html

Post by colleenmoore »

The Left Behind series by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins. A fiction story that follows the Bible’s Book of Genesis. It starts with millions of people disappearing, and those who are left behind trying to figure out what just happened. As story proceeds, we see clear sides of good and evil forming, the rise of the antichrist into power, and the final fight between good and evil. Great characters, great story line, great series. The books in the series include, in order:
Left Behind
Tribulation Force
Nicolae
Soul Harvest
Apollyon
Assassins
The Indwelling
The Mark
Desecration
The Remnant
Armageddon
Glorious Appearing
The Rising
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

The Born trilogy by Tara Brown. Loved it!
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
+Pathwalker+

Post by +Pathwalker+ »

How about

Exodus by Julie Bertagna

it's classified as Young Adult fiction, but some of it's images stayed with me for a long time. Worth a try.
And I loved After the Flood by Attwood.

:)
jenrobot2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenrobot2.html

Post by jenrobot2 »

I was really into these books for a while. THere's 'The forest of hands and teeth' by Carrie Ryan. Really good; i was so clueless- i didn't realise that the people who got the strange disease and started turning loco and wanting to eat people were basically zombies until like a week after reading it. You have your 'Hunger Games' and 'Divergent' though after reading the last book in 'Divergent' i don't even want to think about it for at least a year or something. (By the way these are all YA suggestions except for 'forest of hands and teeth'). Oh, 'Ashes' by IIsa J Bick is really dystopian. 'Under the Never Sky' by Veronica Rossi is less depressing though more romance. Ditto for 'Shatter me' bu Tahereh Mafi except it's even more romance. 'The Maze Runner' by James Dashner (i think) is SO good. REALLY REALLY post-apocalyptic and it will always always keep you guessing. 'Legend' by Marie Lu, but i didn't really like it. 'Delirium' by Lauren Oliver is more about romance- you can tell because their world is based on the idea that love is a disease and it must be surgically removed. Sounds kind of cool? That's what i though too, but the story just seemed to drag on in my opinion. It's OKAY. But not "oh my god that was the best book ever i want more more more more" (said really fast and without pause while jumping up and down or doing a weird dance and holding the book to your chest).
samanthaeh76
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthaeh76.html
Latest Review: "The Colonies" by Paul Benoit

Post by samanthaeh76 »

Love this genre!!

I have to add my vote to The Stand by Stephen King and The Hunger Games Trilogy by Susanne Collins. An oldie but goodie is L. Ron Hubbard's Battlefield Earth, although it is insanely long (much like The Stand). The book is much better than that awful movie with John Travolta (shudder…ugh).

There is a series by Susan Ee called Penryn and the End of Days with two books out that is very good. The first is Angelfall, the second is World After. I also enjoy The Frost Chronicles by Kate Avery Ellison. It has four books in it so far.

I can't recommend the Divergent Trilogy because the second and third books got progressively worse to the point of awful. I also wouldn't recommend Tara Brown's Born books either. They had potential but the more books, the worse it got.
Latest Review: "The Colonies" by Paul Benoit
Charlotte Reese
Currently Reading: A Year in Provence
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlotte-reese.html

Post by Charlotte Reese »

Smitha Nayak wrote:Cormac McCarthy’s The Road introduces a barren world in the aftermath of an unknown cataclysmic event. All that remain are a few survivors who roam the bleak landscape in search of warmth and food.
I second this suggestion and also "Canticle for Leibowitz" by Walter Miller.
Time2Read

Post by Time2Read »

Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien was in interesting read. I feel it was geared more toward the young adult, female reader. If you read the first book, and choose to continue the series, I suggest you also read the bridge stories that are available.
The entire series as a whole was an enjoyable read.
azeason25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azeason25.html

Post by azeason25 »

I really liked these, though most are geared towards young adults.

Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Enclave by Ann Aguirre
Legend by Marie Lu
Divergent by Veronica Roth
The Eden Trilogy by Kerry Taylor
Reboot by Amy Tintera
Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
The Born Trilogy by Tara Brown
emski100
Favorite Author: Veronica Roth
Favorite Book: Divergent
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emski100.html
Latest Review: "The Beer Bellies" by Andrew Mather
fav_author_id: 2445

Post by emski100 »

Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Divergent by Veronica Roth
Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
Legend by Marie Lu
The Foresaken by Lisa M. Stasse
The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau
Article 5 by Kristen Simmons
The Pledge by Kimberly Derting
The Selection by Kiera Cass
Uglies by Scott Westerfield
Delirium by Lauren Oliver
Just a girl with a banjo and some books...minus the banjo
Also a booktuber :)
Latest Review: "The Beer Bellies" by Andrew Mather
bluetree16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluetree16.html

Post by bluetree16 »

I know most have already suggested them, but definitely The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and Enclave by Ann Aguirre. I just finished Enclave, and I can't wait to start on the next book in the series! I've also read the Hunger Games twice, so I know that they are really good.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”