Post Apocalyptic books, any recomendations?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ck1219
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ck1219.html

Re: Post Apocalyptic books, any recomendations?

Post by Ck1219 »

There's a great book called Angelfall by Susan Ee. It addresses issues that you don't think about in regards to post-apocoliptic life. Issues that I never considered anyway. The main character's mother has schizophrenia and her sister is handicapped. At one point the main character reflects on how lucky they were that her sister choose a manual wheelchair instead of an electric one because, of course, the power is out. The world is in chaos. The streets are full of abandoned cars and dangerous gangs. Houses and stores are raided and mostly empty. Her mother runs out of her psych meds so she has to take responsibility of her younger disabled sister. She has to forage for food and keep them safe.
This book is very scary and real. It sucks you in. And of course there are angels, which makes the novel even more intriguing. I definitely recommend this book. It's a good quick read.
lyssy311

Post by lyssy311 »

My all-time favorite post apocalyptic novel is Stephen King's The Stand. The Hunger Games and Divergent series were both great in the beginning, but I was extremely unsatisied with the ending in both trilogies. I'm an absolute zombie dystopian fan and have tons of recommendations that I can give for that genre. I loved the Odium series by Claire Riley. I'm currently on book 3 of the Surviving the Dead series by James Cook, and so far so good. The Forest of Hands and Teeth series by Carrie Ryan was wonderful and different. John O'Brien has a great, albeit lengthy, series, A New World. It's one of my favorites!

I also really enjoyed the Love and Decay young adult series. The storyline was fantastic, but the grammar was atrocious! If you can get past that, then I highly reccommend it!

8)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

After Age by Yvonne Navarro
Post vampire apocolypse
Multi character pov
Stand alone
Very good book
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Sauroke
Favorite Author: R.A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sauroke.html

Post by Sauroke »

The Deathlands series is pretty good from what I have read. Although it is written by numerous authors, it kept my fancy through 16 books when I was a teenager.
masterg

Post by masterg »

Hunger games
I am Legend
Ready Player One
mui-scrimp
Favorite Book: This question is impossible
Currently Reading: The Red Queen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mui-scrimp.html

Post by mui-scrimp »

The Boy at the End of the World by Greg van Eekhout. I can't say I loved the writing style, but the plot was just so interesting!
MMacAllen

Post by MMacAllen »

DUST by Joan Francis Turner, and the Sequel "Frail", tells the story of a post-apocalyptic zombie world from the zombie's perspective. The first book did an excellent job of changing how you see and think about what zombies do and how they communicate with each other. :)
scifinut

Post by scifinut »

Emmi Itaranta's award winning debut novel Memory of Water explores a young girl's coming of age in a drought-ridden country where water is at a premium and the water police control the populace. Beautifully written, it will change the way you see water and the world.
kylaurel
Currently Reading: Bones Never Lie by Kathy Reichs
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kylaurel.html

Post by kylaurel »

Check out the Hunger series by Jason Brant. The three books tell the story of a group of survivors after civilization is wiped out by a disease that turns its victims into mindless monsters. It's not The Walking Dead, because these poor people don't die first. I couldn't put the books down. The characters get in one tight spot after another, yet there's still room for love, friendship, and heroism among them--and even a few laughs.
bookwrm22
Favorite Book: any book that someone took time to write
Currently Reading: Sherlock Holmes + Percy Jackson series
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwrm22.html

Post by bookwrm22 »

Life as we Knew it by Susan Beth Pfeffer. Not the typical "post-apocalyptic" book, more like what would happen if the world scientifically ended. I read it in a day, just couldn't put it down. Very relatable, really feels like it could/will happen
Bwoodby4405

Post by Bwoodby4405 »

I really liked Poison Princess by Kresley Cole! It's the first book in the new series. I read the second book too, and it was also really good! I don't like her Otherworld series that much because the protagonists change with every book, but this series isn't like that.
Greeneyedphotogirl79
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Favorite Book: 1984
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greeneyedphotogirl79.html
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Greeneyedphotogirl79 »

Anything by Robert Kirkman and Jay Bonsinga, aka The Walking Dead. He has about 5 books (actual novels) out and they are fantastic reads. I have one on my shelf that I'm curious about reading called "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen. Also even though it wasn't apocalyptic but it had that theme "Under the Dome" by Stephen King. I couldn't put it down!
geekprincess26

Post by geekprincess26 »

I second the recommendation for The Hunger Games. Young adult books aren't everyone's cup of tea, but lately I have found myself gravitating more and more toward that side of contemporary literature, and Suzanne Collins's trilogy is the best post-apocalyptic entry I have discovered there yet.

Also, if you're a sci-fi fan, check out Portal by Rob Swigart. It was first published as an interactive novel for the now-obsolete Commodore Amiga, but quickly found its way into plain old novel form. Its "apocalypse" isn't a ground-rending, war-tearing series of disasters, but rather the sudden disappearance of every human being on the planet. The protagonist, a lone astronaut who arrives back on the earth after the vanishings, is left to figure it out with the help of some quirky artificial intelligence systems. The book is a unique and at times mind-bending read - not your typical "disaster-movie" novel by any stretch of the imagination.
DiDonovan

Post by DiDonovan »

I'm not sure if this is 'post apocalyptic' as opposed to a work-in-progress, but I loved Karen Thompson's AGE OF MIRACLES - about the planet's slowing and how a teenage girl and her family reacts. It's one of the best apocalyptic books I've read this year; largely because it delves into events as they unfold and how people try to live their lives against all odds.
frastlin

Post by frastlin »

It depends what kind of books you are looking for.
The Delirium Trilogy by Lauren Oliver is really intense. It is a very hard book to describe without ruining it, but it is rather sappy in parts.
Margaret Peterson Haddix is really creepy, but she likes to take taboos and thrust them into the light. The Shadow children is probably the best of these, I loved it. If people could only have 2 children on pain of death, what would happen if they had 3?
I just read Black Feathers and The Book of the Crowman by Joseph D' Lacey and that was very unique in that you really didn't know where it was going till the last chapter. But the descriptions are really good.
Wild Cards by the kicker teem of sci-phi writers, including George R. R. Martin is super good, although there are tons of books and a lot of characters!
Alan Dean Foster has a glorious group of books called The Tipping Point trilogy about Mexico in a few years. It is not really a typical Hunger Games book, but still, is what you asked for...
The Maze Runner of coarse is also really good, if that is your thing.
The Selection by Kiera Cass is like Delirium, but has a little more of a hunger games feel with people being chosen as the princess through a set of challenges.
Of coarse you also have the Giver, that is a pretty emotional book that just had a movie come out.
Nancy Farmer has several series like The Ear, the Eye and the Arm but more importantly, The House of the Scorpion. It is about a drug cartel who makes a clone of himself and it is about that clone's life.

These are the ones that just popped into my head, I will see if any more strike me later on.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”