The Lux Series By Jennifer L Armentrout

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Becky-boo
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Lux Series By Jennifer L Armentrout

Post by Becky-boo »

This will contain some small spoilers, but I promise to try not to ruin it.

This series is a YA paranormal series, but it's a surprisingly different twist than anything else I've read so far in this genre.

There are so far four books in the series, Obsidian, Onyx, Opal and Origin.

Girl moves to new town, super hot boy lives next door, said super hot boy also acts like a idiot, girl tries to keep away from him, girl eventually gives in to his charms, or lack of. Except said boy is also a alien. Yes, a full blown, E.T call home, Alien. And that's not all. He's also in hiding from not only the government, but also another alien species who is out to kill all of his kind.

After four books you'd think the concept would get stale, but Miss Armentrout keeps the story twisting and turning. And at the end of every book I've been left standing going, "What the hell!"
The characters, although playing to certain stereotypes, were refreshingly down to earth, and I found myself totally drawn in to the little world Armentrout had created. And she loves to keep you on your toes.

Prepare to become totally addicted to Aliens. Wow, never thought I'd utter those words.

Here's a link to my goodreads review of the newest book, Origin. But if you haven't read the others, I'd hold off. Trust me, it's worth it! http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/617983682
tracy19
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracy19.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh

Post by tracy19 »

The Lux series is a great read, I definitely recommend it to all.
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh
Mune
Currently Reading: Revival
Bookshelf Size: 963
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mune.html
Latest Review: "The Silent Shadow" by Patrick Clarke
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Mune »

I really enjoyed reading this. I actually laughed out loud several times. I liked the banter between the characters, the different set-up for a YA novel in the personalities, and mostly I enjoyed having an alien twist to a story. The main character, Katy, is very spunky and blunt. The love interest, Daemon, is this sexy jerk that lives next door with his twin Dee. Both are aliens that are part of a species that inhabit our Earth, unbeknownst to most except the DOD. Anyways, I was so happy to finally read a YA book that did not have the typical "new girl falls for mysterious boy, it is immoral for them to love, and he finally gives in and everything is super sappy". There is cussing and some beyond first base play in this book. I found the dialogues wonderful in that they sounded real. For once we are not bombarded with cheesy cuss-word substitutes. I mean come on, these are seventeen year olds, not ten year old altar boys. I read this book in a day by barely setting it down. I am a really fast reader, though, so when my interest is peaked, I can usually knock out a book in a day.

When I read Onyx, my first concern was that the possibility of a love triangle popping up and screwing up a good thing. YA is all about horribly unrealistic love triangles. Thankfully, Jennifer held strong to her guns and the story kept flowing. This book gets much steamier than the first and still has the cussing. Again, I like the cussing and the heavy petting, they are TEENS, that happens. Once again the dialogue, character personalities, and wondrous bantering among the characters thrilled me.

::Spoilers::

I have now read Opal and Origin and still stuck with the stories to the end. I am intrigued, though about the whole Arum not always being the bad guys and this whole new hybrid baby thingy. From what I understand, there are some other books that are either out or coming out from the perspective of an Arum. There is also a short story out from Bethany and Dawson's perspective of their meeting up to them being taken by the DOD.
Latest Review: "The Silent Shadow" by Patrick Clarke
Mias Point Of View
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mias-point-of-view.html

Post by Mias Point Of View »

I love Jennifer's work!I've read most of her books..She is incredible..And the Lux Series is a great fantasy series..You definitely have to read it,if you're into this genre..
bookmate96

Post by bookmate96 »

I have read the first 3 books of the series, and loved the 1st and 2nd installments, but I have to say the 3rd one let me down a little bit. I feel as if the focus was taken off the characters and they all got swept away in the action/adventure of the plot. Daemon is by far one of my favorite guys from a book series, not only because he is an overly attractive alien, but also because he has to earn the right to be with Katy. Since insta-love is one of the banes of my existence, this was a big plus, but when the third book came around, Katy lost her spunk and while plot had surprising twists and turns, the whole concept of the government facility seemed too much like deja vu from the Maximum Rider series I read in Middle School.
Honestly my question is whether or not the fouth book and on are worth reading, and why?
Ashley2005
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley2005.html
Latest Review: "The Paradigm Success Codes For Life" by Carla Wynn

Post by Ashley2005 »

I read this series and was very interested in it. It is a great series. I decided to read it because I needed a change from the normal vampire and werewolf books I was reading. This series was definitely goo change. I do still need to read the last couple of books that have come out for this series but I will get to them.

-- 05 Oct 2013, 11:42 --

I read this series and was very interested in it. It is a great series. I decided to read it because I needed a change from the normal vampire and werewolf books I was reading. This series was definitely goo change. I do still need to read the last couple of books that have come out for this series but I will get to them.
Latest Review: "The Paradigm Success Codes For Life" by Carla Wynn
Ashleigh Maree
Favorite Author: Too Many
Currently Reading: Boundless - Cynthia Hand

Post by Ashleigh Maree »

Jennifer has to be one of my favourite authors. The Lux series was the first series I read of hers and I was hooked after the first few chapeters. It's unlike anything I've read before - the twists, the characters, the hotness! It takes your mind on this fabulous journey. I love seeing into the mind of Daemon in Origin, totally makes the series. Definitely one of the best series to read if you want a break from the usual angels, weres and vampires!
ruthhojy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthhojy.html

Post by ruthhojy »

ABSOLUTELY A PAGE TURNER. Romance, mystery, alienation, danger all in all. If you haven't read it, go read it. You're missing out!
Lorainmaria

Post by Lorainmaria »

I was going through a website when i came across this title. I immediately looked up the reviews and to be honest, some where really good and some where super bad. So i thought why not challenge myself and see if i will like it. I started off with the first book, finished it super fast and i liked what i read. I went on to the second one, even that was equally good. But by the time i got to the third one, it just felt like it started dragging a lot. I have been on the third book for the last atleast one month and couldnt finish it..... I couldnt find any factor in it that tempted me to keep reading it i guess...
Typhoon310
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-typhoon310.html

Post by Typhoon310 »

I have yet to read Origin, but the first three books were amazing. At first, I was a little unsure about reading the story, since it's about aliens. Now I am glad I did! I will definitely be looking forward to reading more of Jennifer's work. :D
jenrobot2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenrobot2.html

Post by jenrobot2 »

When i started to read the first book in the series it was more of an "eh, i have nothing else to do, this will just pass the time." And i wasn't really impressed with the writing. I thought she dithered on too much about how good looking Daemon was, to be honest. But i suppose that's typical YA. However, the story got so addictive and I think the author did a great job with the whole alien notion. I mean, it would be pretty hard to make ET sexy, you know? Before reading this series, has anyone, EVER, found aliens sexy? I suppose it was a matter of time. God knows vampires and werewolves have been featured endlessly- now it's the aliens' turn. Next, unicorns. Strange and questionably mythical sexy creatures aside, i will categorise this series under the addictive kind you'd read when you don't want to think and just want to enjoy. Oh, and i loved the fact that the main character loved to read and do reviews. I think that makes up for any flaws.
samanthaeh76
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthaeh76.html
Latest Review: "The Colonies" by Paul Benoit

Post by samanthaeh76 »

I have been following this series for a while now and have totally enjoyed it. As some others have said, it is definitely on the fluffy side. However, it makes for a quick and entertaining read.

The interactions between the characters has all the hallmarks of goofy YA fiction, but Armentrout redeems herself with her dialogue and her refusal to devolve into the the current Twilight-inspired trend towards unnecessary angst.

I didn't enjoy the main male lead at first, because he is such a jerk, but Daemon has since grown on me as the character has developed. I have really enjoyed Katy. She kicks butt all on her own and has an awesome attitude.

I look forward to more installations in this series!
Latest Review: "The Colonies" by Paul Benoit
yalonde
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yalonde.html
Latest Review: "The Road To Comfort" by Becky Lower

Post by yalonde »

I for one really enjoy this series. Probably because i liked the personality of Damon. I have read all the books in this series. Including Obsession, the sort of spin off from an Army's pov. Obsession is a little more, how do you say, erotic (i guess) than the Lux books. Probably because it he to be be since the Arum are supposed to be bad. I like when the two men characters meet. I can't wait for the next book.
Latest Review: "The Road To Comfort" by Becky Lower
akhreader
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akhreader.html

Post by akhreader »

I read the first book in this series a while back. I loved it. I loved the style of her writing, her characters and of course the story. I bought the other books in the series late last year because I wanted to find out what happened with Daemon and Katy. Overall, I think my favorite books in this series are 1 and 2.
ncreads
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ncreads.html

Post by ncreads »

I never thought that I'd enjoy a book about aliens but I loved this series. I thought that it was well written and very captivating. Plus, the main character, Katy is a book blogger just like all of us!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”