Official Review: Sim The Archives of Ovions by Dion Seth

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Official Review: Sim The Archives of Ovions by Dion Seth

Post by GKCfan »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sim The Archives of Ovions" by Dion Seth.]
Book Cover for 1130
Share This Review

There is much about the book Sim: The Archives of Ovions that is confusing. Perhaps the first point of confusion is the title. Though Sim: The Archives of Ovions is the title provided on the official file, the actual text gives the title as Sim The Ovion Archives.

One aspect of this book that I am reasonably certain of is that it could be much improved by a thorough editing. The novel is filled with typographical errors. Furthermore, the book makes heavy use of made-up words, since it is set in a fictional fantasy universe. After utilizing a search engine, I learned that the Ovions are a species with six limbs in both the Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica fictional universes. The meaning of much of the rest of the fictional terminology is reasonably easy to figure out, such as units of measurement, though a few made-up words are far harder, even impossible to decipher. The book needs more names and pronouns– much too often, it’s too hard to tell who’s being referred to at certain times.

The plotline revolves around the adventures of Sim, a brave young woman being trained as a kind of space soldier. Throughout the book, Sim travels to different planets, escapes near-death experiences and… it’s hard to tell what else. The main problem with the book is that it’s confusing. Sim narrates the opening chapters of the book, but I’m not sure if she continues to narrate the entirety of the book. I am sure that at some point a male character takes over the narration late in the book, since he refers to a part of his anatomy that only a man has.

There are some potential discrepancies that even repeated re-readings cannot make clear. Early in the book, Sim is described as having a “short pudgy body,” setting her apart from the “tall slim Johuans” who are her classmates. Later in the book, the narrator puts on a pair of pants and fastens them around her “tiny waist.” I found no mention that Sim had lost weight, and either a different character narrates this scene (possible, but later passages indicate that this is Sim), or this is a mistake, or I have missed the passages where Sim becomes slim. Another discrepancy (one of many) is that the pants mentioned in the aforementioned scene are initially described as being “skin tight and a tough material that was a difficult to get into [sic].” Immediately after struggling into the pants, the narrator dons a “matching black jacket.” Sim later describes her attire as a “damn leather contraption,” and emphasizes that her outfit is leather later in the book. However, on at least two occasions prior to the scene where she first climbs into this outfit, Sim clearly knows what leather is. Why then, would she not know the name of the material her clothing is made out of? She ought to know that her pants and jacket are made out of black leather. It’s also not clear why she’s dressed in black leather from head to toe anyway, since she doesn’t seem to enjoy wearing it and its functional purpose isn’t clear (especially since the outfit is, according to her, so constricting), although at one point her leather pants and leather jacket protect her from being burned in a fire.

Occasionally, crudeness disrupts the narrative flow. The occasional profanity is sometimes jarring, and a recurring series of remarks about the size of one character’s breasts is in bad taste. A creature that defeats enemies through the use of its own excrement is just disgusting.

Seth has produced a confusing book, but I believe that Seth can take this book and polish it into something compelling if the book receives a full rewrite. The book needs to be clearer to read, the major plot developments need to emphasized more sharply, the goals of the protagonists need to be made more understandable, and the narrator’s voice needs to become clearer and more consistent. At times Seth’s prose seems artistically crafted, even musical. At other times the prose is blocky and chunky.

This book can be improved through some added work and clarification. An introduction explaining the book’s overall plot and a glossary can do a lot to make the book more reader-friendly. Seth may be able to turn this into an enjoyable book, but it needs a lot of work.

I give this book an official rating of one out of four stars; I would give it one and a half if half-ratings were allowed.

View hassle-free sample of "Sim The Archives of Ovions"
kismoody
Currently Reading: Cat's Cradle
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kismoody.html
Latest Review: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders by Mark Villareal

Post by kismoody »

Thanks for the honest review.
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

I understand your frustration. I sometimes feel like shaking authors who don't even seem to take advantage of all the free online critique circles. If you want to sell your book, you need to make sure that it coherent and ridden of most of the typos. This especially frustrates me when I see major potential in a story.
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires
Stevefromtheblock
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevefromtheblock.html
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol

Post by Stevefromtheblock »

Thank you for an honest review. I guess I won't be reading this one haha
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol
GKCfan

Post by GKCfan »

You're welcome. I appreciate your commenting.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Thanks for the review, and for saving me from reading this book! For some reason, I am drawn to books with odd titles such as this one. I guess the curiosity just gets the better of me!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
GKCfan

Post by GKCfan »

You're welcome! I also like interesting titles. Bland, generic ones just leave me cold. I like it when books have titles that no other book could have,

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”