The Hunger Games- Suzanne Collins (Discussion)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
zumanajim
Currently Reading: Allies of the Night
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zumanajim.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: The Hunger Games- Suzanne Collins (Discussion)

Post by zumanajim »

Did you guys watch the new movie mocking jay part two? it just came out

-- 25 Nov 2015, 18:26 --

I was surprised it was aimed at an audience of young adults. It seems extremely intense for anyone younger than 16 or 17. For example, there is a scene where one young tribute is slowly eaten alive by wolf-like creatures all night long, and Katniss has to finally throw a weapon at him to end his misery. I found this a little too disturbing when I considered the age of the character.

The intensity of the action was something one would find in a more mature book, but the age of the characters and the simplicity of the prose were aimed at a much younger audience. In addition, this book was written in present tense, which I found annoying, but that’s more of a personal preference than a stylistic fault. It was also edited somewhat poorly, but that rarely distracted from the plot. For example, the author often spoke in sentence fragments to describe how Katniss felt, which might have been an attempt to reflect on her thought process, but I found it disorienting to read a lot of really short sentences all together. It would have been better to vary the sentence length on occasion, but the story was still coherently.
Celtic_Princess
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celtic-princess.html

Post by Celtic_Princess »

My favorite book was defiantly the first one. It was the beginning of the series that launched it all off of the ground. The next two just kept getting more gory, and more sad.
greeneyedlady
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greeneyedlady.html

Post by greeneyedlady »

I couldn't put The Hunger Games series, by Suzanne Collins, down. In fact, I read all four books in the course of a week.

greeneyedlady
booklvr62
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by booklvr62 »

Books about children killing each other! To read those for entertainment! In today's violent society that just sounds sick and disgusting IMO. The Divergent series sounds much more moral and suitable for young adults. :(
Nothingbutdez

Post by Nothingbutdez »

I'm very sorry for everyone who greatly enjoys this book, and it seems to be almost everyone who replied on this post, but I am really not a big fan of The Hunger Games. It's truly a great concept, the idea is (or was) fairly new and brought about a different way of thinking and an era of post-apocalyptic obsession (not including zombies for once) to a big audience, but man....the book was written horribly.
I'm just trying to be as honest as possible here. I'm no published author or anything, but Suzanne Collin's writing hurt me. How it was released out into the world? I don't know... I'm not saying it should've never been published, but it should've been highly critiqued and edited beforehand. The character's were flat, the writing resembled that of a sixth grader's, the main character herself was unrelatable, and there was no depth or reasoning behind...well..anything.

But I'm gonna stop myself right here because I actually haven't finished all three books, so I shouldn't critique too hard, right?
If you're curious, I made it up until around the ending of the second book. I just couldn't pull myself to finish... the writing style really irked me :/
doyle5
Currently Reading: Steelheart
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doyle5.html

Post by doyle5 »

I really enjoyed this series. Particularly, the second book, mostly because of the character interaction. I love how the older hunger game survivors tease Katniss about shy nature towards physical interaction.
dani_yarbrough
Currently Reading:

Post by dani_yarbrough »

Out of the three books. I found the first one the best. It kept me on my toes the whole time. It's by far my favorite. But compared to the movie like always I find the books a lot better.
Malea 92
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malea-92.html

Post by Malea 92 »

I enjoyed the Hunger Games, the 1st or 2nd probably being my favorite, but I enjoyed the 3rd as well. They were intriguing and suspenseful, I got an almost sadistic satisfaction from reading them, however I'll be the first to admit there were parts in all three of them that made me sick (either physically, emotionally, or more often both!)
zoelaurynn
Currently Reading: My Life on the Road
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoelaurynn.html

Post by zoelaurynn »

The Hunger Games is one of my all time favorite series. It tremendously broadened my reading horizons. I never would have branched from the realistic fiction genre if I hadn't been convinced to read THG!

My favorite book of the series is probably Catching Fire– but The Hunger Games is a close second. Catching Fire was full of so many plot-twists and so much emotion and action. After Mockingly I just remember myself wanting more and hoping that the rumors of a fourth book were true. I'm always a bit torn up after a series, but I can't tear myself away from them. :wink:
pennyroyal

Post by pennyroyal »

I am part of a very small minority that thinks the last book is the best one.
I loved them all, don't get me wrong, but the last one was just so powerful for me.
aparsons
Bookshelf Size: 498
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aparsons.html
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri

Post by aparsons »

My sister read these books first and told me, (in between sobs) that they were horrible and I should never read them. I immediately checked them out of the library. I enjoyed the dystopian society and the idea behind the tribute and the factions. Katniss seemed fairly flighty to me in regards to her relationships with Peeta and the other boy. I have never read Battle Royale, but I have seen Lord of the Flies. The Hunger Games can be seen as very watered down, which lessens the impact of all the blood and children murdering that is going on. It simply boils down to a coming of age story, where the main protagonist only survives because other people like her.
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri
Lorirainbowbright
Favorite Book: An Ember in the Ashes
Currently Reading: Burning Midnight
Bookshelf Size: 249
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorirainbowbright.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Lorirainbowbright »

I watched the first two movies but haven't read any of the book's yet. My 14 yr old daughter read the first and started the second, she loved the first one, and wanted the other two. So I bought them for her. I do want to read the book's but I have so many other books to read, that it's not even funny.
Lena Ducane
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lena-ducane.html

Post by Lena Ducane »

OMG!! When I first heard of the Hunger games movie I thought it would something like star wars and I don't like movies like star wars. Basically I never really felt inclined towards sci fiction!
So I never really watched the movie until 2013, and when I watched the movie I was mesmerized I quickly ordered the trilogy and well the next month I was hooked onto the books.
I just loved everything about that book EVERYTHING! For the first time I felt like yes sci fiction novels arent bad they are wonderful! I can't even pick my favorite! But Mockingjay Man I have never cried like a baby over a novel yes a few trickles here and there but actually wailing for character actually feeling depressed because of an ending, Nope has never happened but Mockingjay touched my heart and its a must read!!! A MUST!!!!!
aparsons
Bookshelf Size: 498
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aparsons.html

Post by aparsons »

Lena Ducane wrote:OMG!! When I first heard of the Hunger games movie I thought it would something like star wars and I don't like movies like star wars. Basically I never really felt inclined towards sci fiction!
So I never really watched the movie until 2013, and when I watched the movie I was mesmerized I quickly ordered the trilogy and well the next month I was hooked onto the books.
I just loved everything about that book EVERYTHING! For the first time I felt like yes sci fiction novels arent bad they are wonderful! I can't even pick my favorite! But Mockingjay Man I have never cried like a baby over a novel yes a few trickles here and there but actually wailing for character actually feeling depressed because of an ending, Nope has never happened but Mockingjay touched my heart and its a must read!!! A MUST!!!!!
It's really nice to see when a book affects someone this strongly. That is the type of emotion I look for in the books I read. But for me, the characters were just a little too shallow. I usually don't cry over people's problems, I cried over the cat in the story though.
“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Readaholic24
Currently Reading: Infinite Jest
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readaholic24.html

Post by Readaholic24 »

Lena Ducane wrote:OMG!! When I first heard of the Hunger games movie I thought it would something like star wars and I don't like movies like star wars. Basically I never really felt inclined towards sci fiction!
If you loved this series that much you should definitely check out the other series by Suzanne Collins. It's called "Gregor the Overlander". An easy read for sure, but I remember really loving it when I read it years ago. Lots of great characters that tug at your heartstrings just like in the Hunger Games

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”