The Hunger Games- Suzanne Collins (Discussion)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
summer101331
Favorite Author: Jk.Rowling
Favorite Book: Alone-Girl in abox
Currently Reading: several series
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer101331.html

The Hunger Games- Suzanne Collins (Discussion)

Post by summer101331 »

The hunger games is probably one of the most exhilarating series i have read and trust me i read a lot. The first book was entrancing but Catching fire was probably the my favorite of the three. it was fast paced through the whole series and it gave Peta a bit of back bone. i know that the author is trying to portray kat as an independent strong women with Peta as the sidekick but i like that she gave him some strength in the second book. however, the third book was my least favorite. it dragged in the first few chapters and i had to force myself to read on, telling myself that it would get better which thankfully it did.I know my favorite book of the series, but what is yours and why? :?:
Katy Isodo
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katy-isodo.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Katy Isodo »

I agree with what you said - The first book got me into it, all of the information and learning about the culture. The second book was incredibly intense and I ended up reading most of it in on sitting because I just couldn't stop and then the third felt like I hit a wall. Perhaps this was because the second book was so fast paced but I agree it dragged quite a lot in several places. That being said I think it may be my favorite of the three simply because it wrapped things up in a sense. I was also glad it wasn't simply a happily ever after type ending, it wouldn't have seemed real.

Only thing I'd like to know is what ends up happening to some of the important characters in the end that they don't really talk about much other than in passing.
Enigma
Favorite Author: S.E.Hinton
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading: Breathless by Scott Prussing
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enigma.html
Latest Review: "Broken, 180 Days in the Wilderness of an Urban Middle School" by Ann C. Averill

Post by Enigma »

The first book really stood out and I think I read it in one sitting, the second was just as good and then it got flat. I finished the series though.
Since then, I'he read an even better series, but I won't mention it as this thread is for HG.
I do prefer the book to the first film.
If I didn't write, I'd never sleep.

Up the Irons!!!
Latest Review: "Broken, 180 Days in the Wilderness of an Urban Middle School" by Ann C. Averill
MollyKFarris
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollykfarris.html

Post by MollyKFarris »

I've heard from almost everyone I've talked to about this series that they didn't like the 3rd book, which kind of baffles me. Of course the first book is my favorite, but there was no point during the third book that I thought "Wow, this is really subpar." And I definitely like the third book better than the second; I liked getting to see more of the "world", and I liked that we got to see more of the big picture of what Katniss was involved in. I also liked that the third book acknowledged more of the shades of gray that are present in the real world as opposed to just having the whole book be "the good guys vs. the bad guys."
Katy Isodo
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katy-isodo.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Katy Isodo »

MollyKFarris wrote:I've heard from almost everyone I've talked to about this series that they didn't like the 3rd book, which kind of baffles me. Of course the first book is my favorite, but there was no point during the third book that I thought "Wow, this is really subpar." And I definitely like the third book better than the second; I liked getting to see more of the "world", and I liked that we got to see more of the big picture of what Katniss was involved in. I also liked that the third book acknowledged more of the shades of gray that are present in the real world as opposed to just having the whole book be "the good guys vs. the bad guys."
I agree - I think it's a style preference really as opposed to actual rating of the book. The third just seems a lot slower than either of the others. I did like seeing how much she played into how all of it was coming together, and even kind of wished we got to see more of that. Perhaps it was in very final sections where I felt like things were just all of a sudden wrapped up too quickly, I wanted more information.

It still may be my favorite though because of how it all ends up working out - I still can't reread that without tearing up.
melakkari
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Biting Bad by Chloe Neill
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melakkari.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by melakkari »

I never really had an interest in Dystopian stories until a friend told me that I HAD to read The Hunger Games. I'm still shocked that I enjoyed it as much as I did. It was so graphic and moving and emotionally disturbing. I usually stay away from those kinds of books. Even some horror stories are more tame. This series gets you hooked to the characters which makes the pain they go through more real for you as a reader. Surprisingly, the movie holds up pretty well with the book. That doesn't seem to be the case ever, but it was really well cast and well directed. I'm looking forward to Catching Fire this fall.
tdkcarpenoctem
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tdkcarpenoctem.html

Post by tdkcarpenoctem »

This book was good and the futuristic feel had me reading more. I got halfway through Catching Fire and got bored, but I'm going to finish it just so I know if the movies did them justice.
jacstar23
Favorite Author: Lauren Dane
Currently Reading: Bitten by Kelley Armstrong
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacstar23.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
fav_author_id: 14988

Post by jacstar23 »

loved the first book
loved the second book
was kinda bored and disappointed with the third book

first movie was great
second movie looks amazing

I can't wait to see how this plays out in theatres - perhaps the third movie will be better than the third book (to me) - who knows...
K08nr01
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k08nr01.html
Latest Review: "Percarus" by Lexmilian de Mello

Post by K08nr01 »

Everything surrounding the Hunger Games series has really baffled me. I read the series pretty early in it's release, well before the hype surrounding it. I loved every second of reading it, but I could not believe how popular it got for young adults. When you get down into the nittty gritty of it, the concept is extremely brutal. I am curious if Suzanne Collins meant this series to be for young children...
jacstar23

Post by jacstar23 »

it's very similar to Battle Royale - except that isn't for kids despite it being about kids
K08nr01
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k08nr01.html

Post by K08nr01 »

jacstar23 wrote:it's very similar to Battle Royale - except that isn't for kids despite it being about kids
Exactly what I thought. I really liked Battle Royale, but I enjoyed the fictional setting of the Humger Games Universe more.
jacstar23

Post by jacstar23 »

K08nr01 wrote:Exactly what I thought. I really liked Battle Royale, but I enjoyed the fictional setting of the Humger Games Universe more.

Except for me, Mocking Jay was a bit too sci-fi and weird. It's setting was so different from the first two that I lost interest
Neleh403
Favorite Author: Diane Chamberlain
Favorite Book: The stand by Stephen King
Currently Reading: Of mice and men
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neleh403.html
Latest Review: "Plymouth Discovery" by Bill Brown
fav_author_id: 2413

Post by Neleh403 »

A fantastic set of books. Really enjoyed them, made you stop and think. Could the situation really happen, or is it already.
Latest Review: "Plymouth Discovery" by Bill Brown
tdkcarpenoctem
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tdkcarpenoctem.html

Post by tdkcarpenoctem »

I think Suzanne Collins wanted us to think about the premise of her books, because I think something like this could happen. We never know what tomorrow will bring.
Patti_M
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patti-m.html

Post by Patti_M »

I would have to say that the second book was my favorite. The arena was unpredictable ;) (almost), but the rescue was awesome! I did also like the third book, but in the sense that it brought it all to an end and gave Peeta and Katniss their resolution. I didn't think she needed some of the casualties, but it's just a book I suppose. lol

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”