Fantasy books with weird worlds

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tmieofficial
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tmieofficial.html

Re: Fantasy books with weird worlds

Post by tmieofficial »

I'd say (and this is from popular demand that I've noticed) is the Divergent series, it gained my attention after watching the first film which I thought was incredible, so I went back and read the books and they did not disappoint, the world they live in is so unorthodox it really puts you in a position where you envision yourself being in that position.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson had great world building. It really grabbed my interest.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
jackblack360
Favorite Author: Too many

Post by jackblack360 »

The Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley, is set in a very unique world and the plot is good too.
Andre

Post by Andre »

Anne McCaffery series The Dragon Riders of Pern has a really well built world. There were numerous series built from the original series and I feel like they were all good reads, especially for younger readers.
nina53
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina53.html

Post by nina53 »

Neverwhere by Neil Gaimen is an awesome work of fantasy that takes place in the Underworld of London. I've just discovered him and I was hooked.
Lovely_Loreley
Favorite Author: Donita K. Paul
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 776">Light of the Oracle</a>
Currently Reading: The Blue Fairy Book
Bookshelf Size: 370
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovely-loreley.html
Latest Review: "Vanished in Berlin" by Gry Finsnes
Reading Device: B00UB76290
fav_author_id: 13786

Post by Lovely_Loreley »

The Midnighters series by Scott Westerfeld might also be a good try. I don't entirely remember what happens because I read the series years ago but its about a secret world that only exists for an hour a day, at midnight, and can only be accessed by those who are born at exactly midnight.
Latest Review: "Vanished in Berlin" by Gry Finsnes
Raksh
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raksh.html

Post by Raksh »

Every one know about Mortal instruments and yes it good. But my favorite by cassandra clare is Infernal devices. I liked the infernal devices much more than the Mortal instruments. The story line and character development as well as writing in infernal devices is very very nice. Hope you will like it
Beamer92
Currently Reading: Hexed
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beamer92.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Beamer92 »

I like Terry Brook's Shannara world, but there's no many books hes written its SO hard to keep up/catch up and read them all while keeping the timeline straight. My first trilogy of his was "The High Druid of Shannara" and that ones cool because he dumps you into his demon world as well. Its super neat since you get a taste of what he pictures "hell" as for that world.
Noami4686

Post by Noami4686 »

I also read Alice in Underland. It was so cool to see how they took this childhood story and made it into something so dark and adventurous! I would highly recommend the series. It was very entertaining.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

A fantasy book with a weird world (not too weird but slightly strange) is the Folks of the Air series by Holly Black. With great world building I'd recommend the Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”