Jim Butcher's Codex of Alera

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cjdyer
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjdyer.html

Jim Butcher's Codex of Alera

Post by cjdyer »

Now this series is great. Don't ask me why I think it's great, it is. Granted, it does have that typical main character who is very different from everyone else in the world (in this case he has no magic). But that doesn't stop him from trying. He isn't trying to hide from anyone. He continues his work and even proves to everyone that you don't need magic to be powerful.

The forms of magic is simple: Earth, Air, Fire, Water. All the elements, but sometimes people can use more than one. It is just stunning what the people can do with their magic. Water users can change their appearance, Air can fly (of course), and so on. I just think it's great how they use magic for everything they do, including the easy things.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but this series is interesting and I can never put it down.
WolfhoundExpress
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by WolfhoundExpress »

I absolutely loved this series. It was one of those series where I discovered it as a box set and was so thankful I caught it after all books were written. I could not put these pages down and would literally stay up all night reading. The creation and depth of the characters is astounding. The morality is refreshing and enlightening without reaching the point of over kill. It reinforces that an underdog can survive and set the example for others and gives an all around warm fuzzy feeling when the hero of the book reaches a new level in humanity (or wizardry, depending upon your point of view). Now to find another series that is similar and wil hold my attention like this one.
Hollow[Slayer]101
Favorite Author: Jim Butcher
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">Academ's Fury</a>
Currently Reading: Cursor's Fury
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollow-slayer-101.html
Reading Device: B008HTJLF6
fav_author_id: 2907

Post by Hollow[Slayer]101 »

The Codex Alera Series is one of those that you just can't put down. It's a series that has you laughing one minute and the next wondering how the characters are going to survive through the chapter. Jim Butcher is an amazing author that is always original and I can't wait to read the rest of the series.
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

When I began reading the first book, I was feeling like the universe was kind of cliché. The furies are reminiscent of the daemons from Golden Compass. As I kept going the books drew me in more and more and it did not take very long. I would definitely recommend this series. Although Jim Butcher has published the sixth book as the last in the series, there is still room to continue the story and plenty of adversity to overcome.
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”