A Song of Ice and Fire: Game of Thrones by George RR Martin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire: Game of Thrones by George RR Mar

Post by SidnayC »

Yes I agree this book and in fact all the books in the series are masterpiece. The level of creativity, intricacy and detail that went into this book far exceeds most of the books I come across today. It's one of the books which inspire me to write.
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp
ashewilcox
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ashewilcox »

The first book in this series started out slow and was hard to get through. I must have read the prologue and put the book down again a half dozen times before I just skipped it altogether and that is when my love affair began. It is impossible to put any of them down. The action parts are pretty vivid and there is enough story on each character to keep you interested in the individual story lines. The only things I didn't like were the political explanations in between. I didn't really care as much about the politics of the seven kingdoms as I did about the characters. I acknowledge the necessity of the backgrounds but in some places the narritives seem a little drawn out and hard to follow. The end of every book definitely leaves off with a bang and you really want to just jump right into the next novel. I spent many a sleepless night in Westeros.
whero
Currently Reading: The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whero.html
Latest Review: "The Maestro, The Magistrate & The Mathematician" by Tendai Huchu
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by whero »

I love both the books and the tv series. I have to say I think it was a brilliant idea to make a tv series rather than a movie out of each book, they get to put so much more nuance in, that would have been lost completely in making a movie a reasonable length.
Latest Review: "The Maestro, The Magistrate & The Mathematician" by Tendai Huchu
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

It's funny it wasn't just the books that started slow for me. I watched the first episode about five times before I got far enough in that I made it to Winterfell. By then this story, book or show grabs you are doesn't let go. Waiting impatiently for the next book, would just be weird if the show leapfrogged the books. I did read an article that the author met with the shows producers, so it looks like the show may beat the author to publication of the next book. This really irritates me when I think about it though.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
gabriellogue

Post by gabriellogue »

I'll be putting the book series on my long list of books to read. I found the HBO series to be enthralling even though I suspected they toned it well down. The mythology that is not touched upon but hinted at is fascinating. Another nice touch I enjoyed was the transitory nature of the characters reflecting and mirroring our own mortal existence.
chongjasmine

Post by chongjasmine »

I really enjoy the song of ice and fire.
But I find that it has too much sex and violence in it, sometimes.
Dzahneen88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzahneen88.html

Post by Dzahneen88 »

Sorry. I didn't know this forum already existed. I tried searching for this but could not find.

-- October 24th, 2014, 7:52 pm --
chongjasmine wrote:I really enjoy the song of ice and fire.
But I find that it has too much sex and violence in it, sometimes.
I think the novel don't have that much sex (only in the TV series).
crystalc84

Post by crystalc84 »

I really got into these books. I love the writing and characters.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

I think the story is very well written, with unsuspecting plot twists hidden in its pages. There is no comparison between the Song of Ice and Fire and the LOTR series because the latter is primarily written for children while the former is for young adults, and is thus, more realistic or less subtle, whichever one likes.
Quint

Post by Quint »

My one hang up with this series(which I realize is the consensus with most fans) I would bifurcate into two connected issues: GRRM's writing habits of juggling various projects on top of writing his magnum opus(ie his cash cow) which subsequently hinders his writing pace, and the scope and scale of his fantasy world that has clearly become too big for him to tie together in a concise and refined way, devoid of superfluous exposition. It's a headache keeping track of all the various plots, subplots, allusions, subtle foreshadowing, cryptic prose, character dynamics and various motivations.

Don't get me wrong, that is precisely what I fell in love with...until he went bonkers trying to write the fourth book and had to split it in two. And now we wait(on average) 5 years for each new installment that has about as much meaningful plot movement as "Fifty shades of grey.
I really like the series, and I will finish it when(or, and pardon my morbidity) "If" it ever concludes...but the resolution should be apparent by now. We all know storm was its climax, but he's shooting himself in the foot dithering like this compromising a richly conceived storyline, into circumlocutory oblivion.
jnav0316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jnav0316.html

Post by jnav0316 »

I LOVED these books. It took me a few months to get through all five and I am anxiously awaiting Book 6! I did watch the HBO series, but not until after I had read the books so now I am much further ahead of the series so I have to be mindful when speaking to friends about the series who have not read the books so as not to give anything away. It does help to explain parts of the story the series cannot cover or talk about the differences from the book to the HBO series.
bookslover
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by bookslover »

I just loved these books for their reality, I mean it doesn't follow the traditional storyline where good always win over the bad, its kind of believable in a strange way and other thing that I love about this book is its minimal use of the magic and supernatural. I read all the 5 books this year back to back and even though each book is gigantic in size, I couldn't put the book down, I read these like my life depended on them. And thats why its so hard for me to wait for the next installment.
The characters are multidimensional nothing is only black and white, and sometimes it does shake your mind if you are like me who thinks nothing bad is going to happen to the good guy(because he's the good guy) like ned stark's execution and the red wedding.
And after all this I still believe that nothing bad's going to happen to john snow, I am rooting for john, but with George R R martin you never know and surely you can never guess.
jnav0316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jnav0316.html

Post by jnav0316 »

I did the same thing you did! I read them all back to back and couldn't put them down. I want to reread at least book 5 before 6 arrives to refresh.
inyourfavor
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inyourfavor.html

Post by inyourfavor »

I have only read the first book. I do love the series! The way he writes the books is so good to me. Its more real than some i read. Good doesnt always win. Sometimes the good guys have to die or just lose everything. I like how there isnt much magic in the book too. I like magic in a book just as much as the next person but with this series its just right. He found the perfect balance between real and magic. I would for sure recommend this boom to my friends.
Jcarey13
Currently Reading: Demon Child
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcarey13.html

Post by Jcarey13 »

I can honestly say that I love this series. I am itching for the next book to come out. Disappointed in the series compared to the books but I have always had a hard time with books becoming shows or movies and they don't follow the books. I must admit I like the show series but absolutely love the books. I've read these books twice now and I always find something new in each book that I didn't catch the first time. Always draws me in.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”