A Song of Ice and Fire: Game of Thrones by George RR Martin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
srivolco
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Kane and Abel
Currently Reading: A Tale of the Malazan Book of the fallen
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srivolco.html
Latest Review: "The Chosen of Ky'kias" by K.S. Lewis
fav_author_id: 4949

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire: Game of Thrones by George RR Mar

Post by srivolco »

Love the series but am very upset with the amount of time he is taking to write the next installment and instead is focusing on the tv series !!
Cheers ,
Srivolco !!
Latest Review: "The Chosen of Ky'kias" by K.S. Lewis
miki3737
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by miki3737 »

I really like the books but I didn't watch the TV series because reading is a lot more fun and you can make your own portrait of the characters.
Avaleinna07
Currently Reading: Angel of Storms
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avaleinna07.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Avaleinna07 »

Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to read any of the Game of Thrones books yet. I do watch the television show, but I have not read any of them, even though my friends are constantly badgering me to read them. lol :)
shirleyawilson

Post by shirleyawilson »

I read the series A Song of Ice and Fire: Game of Thrones by George RR Martin a few years ago. I couldn't put it down,I cried, laughed, was angry , and more my emotions were everywhere. That's what makes a great book and author.
Jenn+books
Favorite Author: Anne Tyler
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Always a Shakespeare
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenn-books.html
fav_author_id: 6534

Post by Jenn+books »

I've been debating about reading this series because I've heard mixed reviews about it. It seems like people either love it or hate it. From the discussion here, I might give it a shot.
paulmcneer

Post by paulmcneer »

Martin is a master writer, end of story. The Song of Ice and Fire series is one of the most intricate and fully defined fantasy series I have ever read. The story is grounded in realism but then drops the boom with magic and dragons that make sense in the greater context of the story. If you like fantasy you simply must read this series!
SamiJade

Post by SamiJade »

I absolutely love GoT but have not yet read the books. I've wanted to since finishing watching season 3 and realising that there are books (yeah, yeah - I'm a bit slow on the uptake lol). I can only imagine how great the books are going to be as the tv show was so good it's even got my husband wanting to read the books, he has not read a single book out of pleasure in our 7 1/2 years together so that really says something!! Reading these books is definitely on the top of my to do list. Especially after reading your reviews, so thank you for being so open about your feelings about the books!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have bought the series, but didn't start it yet. I am waiting for George R.R. Martin to finish it first.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ikiri81
Currently Reading: The Aeronaut's Windlass
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikiri81.html

Post by Ikiri81 »

I am currently watching the second season of the tv series. I was thinking of reading the books, but some people like the books and some don't. The only way to find out is to actually pick one up and give it a shot. I have added the books to my read list.
dcolby

Post by dcolby »

Thesis hands down the best series I have read so far. It is not necessarily because the writing is amazing, it is simply because the story itself just wonderful! It's so elaborate and the way he produces the subtle tie ins to the different characters stories is just amazing. The story is just so interesting and keeps you guessing. When reading these books I did not put them down. I so loved this story, I cannot wait for the next book!
Winter
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winter.html
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford

Post by Winter »

I read the first book and part of the second one and then got a little tired of it. I think I'll get back to reading it again at some point. I liked the story, and was really hooked at first, but it's dark enough and long enough that it wore me out after a while. Still a very good read though, with lots of interesting characters. I haven't seen the show yet, and would rather finish reading the books first, so I guess it will be a while.
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford
CONSTARA
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-constara.html

Post by CONSTARA »

I started this in the middle of the series, can't move backwards fast enough to get back and start from the beginning.
mandap24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandap24.html
Latest Review: "Usu" by Jayde Ver Elst

Post by mandap24 »

This is one of the best series I have read in awhile. If you really set yourself to it you can breeze through the books.

I really wish he would finish the next book i remember being excited reading the A Dance with Dragons and thinking how many questions would be answered. Instead I ended up with more questions and wanting so much more! It was great but I didn't want it to end.
athene85

Post by athene85 »

What catches my interest in Martin's grand tale is how he meshes reality with fantasy. As you read through the chapters, or watch an episode, you're taken through a world where men and women, ordinary or otherwise, live, play, plot, or war against each other. And then, you're taken next to a world where the characters of the previous chapter could only imagine, their myths and legends unfold as we read on.

The entire story reflects the many facets of human experience - the ordinary, the strange, the obvious, the mysterious.
mandap24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandap24.html

Post by mandap24 »

athene85 wrote:What catches my interest in Martin's grand tale is how he meshes reality with fantasy. As you read through the chapters, or watch an episode, you're taken through a world where men and women, ordinary or otherwise, live, play, plot, or war against each other. And then, you're taken next to a world where the characters of the previous chapter could only imagine, their myths and legends unfold as we read on.

The entire story reflects the many facets of human experience - the ordinary, the strange, the obvious, the mysterious.
I agree with you the George RR Martin is great at bringing reality and fantasy together. Another reason I believe he does this so well is by making the characters relatable and fully developed. He makes his characters that have so much dimensions to them, at first you will dislike them as you see them as bad or evil but then you slowly learn more about them and see that there is more to the story than them being the bad guy and then they're no longer the bad guy anymore.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”