A Song of Ice and Fire: Game of Thrones by George RR Martin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sir Readalot
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sir-readalot.html

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire: Game of Thrones by George RR Mar

Post by Sir Readalot »

After several promises, we may (hopefully) expect the next book this year...
But I seriously doubt.
Carsh_Lohal
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carsh-lohal.html
Latest Review: "Crossing in Time" by D.L. Orton

Post by Carsh_Lohal »

I read them all before watching the show. I generally thought they were ok and quite fun to read, however I found the way the most recent two books were separated to be really irritating. He essentially put all the characters that I disliked in one book, and all the ones I liked in another. Slogging through all those story lines that I cared very little for was a chore. I can see why they're popular and the show even more so, but they're certainly not one of the best fantasy series I've read. I might just stick with the show from now on, I'm not sure I'll bother with the newest book (whenever it eventually makes its appearance).
Latest Review: "Crossing in Time" by D.L. Orton
jacobmc
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jacobmc »

George has not only created a world of such uniqueness, but his ability to keep the reader intrigued in every book is amazing. Unlike so many writers who do the old 'good triumphs over evil' and the good guy always wins, (not bagging it, I do it myself!) George has shown time and time again that he isn't afraid to take main characters away from us. And well loved characters at that! Nobody is entirely safe and that plays a big part in making this series so captivating. You always wonder (and worry about) who will die next or obtain more power.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

A Song of Ice and Fire has been a long time favorite series of mine. George R. R. Martin is not only an amazing world builder, his ability to come up with complex plots and three dimensional characters has always kept me wanting more! Unfortunately, I feel I am becoming less and less concerned with what will happen at the end of the series. We have had to wait so very long for the last two installments that I many times believe we will never get another ASOIF book in print. Sadly , I think Martin has reverted to HBO to finish off his series. The show has already far surpassed the books and due to this, I don't know that I'd ever be willing to go back to the books. I don't know if any author has ever disappointed me as much as Martin! I so looked forward to finishing his series, but now I doubt that will ever happen! :oops2:
ashersb
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashersb.html

Post by ashersb »

The best way i can seperate a show and a book is to read the books before i watch the show. I did so with game of thrones and absolutely loved it. I enjoyed the books more then the show, but thats how most of it seems to go when it comes to book vs. movie.

For me, Game Of Thrones had all the basics of a good sci-fi fantasy book and then some. Its unexpecting to say the least. You never know what will happen from one page to the next and as soon as 1 chapter gets really wild, its one to the next which leaves you hanging. I loved it.
lane_vespertine
Currently Reading: Ilium
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lane-vespertine.html
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith

Post by lane_vespertine »

I read the first three books in the series a year or so back. No doubt they ARE page turners!
My main problem with these stories can be explained with a real life series of events:
My wife likes to ask me what is happening when she sees me reading a book. She isn't looking for a summary, just a quick description of exactly what is happening at the moment she asks me. I have no idea why she likes these summaries, but she does.
First time she asked me in A Song of Ice and Fire, I responded with something like, "Everyone is worried about old dudes raping young girls."
Second time, "Old guy just married a young girl."
Third time, "Old dudes are raping and pillaging."
These incidents were at different times throughout the book, and I know it had a large amount of coincidence involved.
My wife then asked me if that is what the whole book was about, to which I obviously said no.
But it got me thinking...
The Seven Kingdoms is not historically accurate or even realistic (dragons, white walkers, giants... oh my!) I understand that 'back in the day' old dudes frequently married young women (like 14 or younger), commonly against their wishes or at least without their permission. But The Seven Kingdoms is not real! Why do they have to maintain this pretty disgusting tendency in a world that has nothing to do with 'ye olde times' Europe? After that, the frequency of it began to bother me. I kept thinking of it as something Martin, the author, WANTED to put in there, which creeped me out. After a particularly violent depiction of this exact thing in the third book, I put it down and haven't picked it back up since.
In short, I like a book when all of the parts of it are necessary for the story. When I can answer my wife's question honestly and know that whatever the answer, it is meaningful to the book as a whole. I couldn't do it with A Song of Ice and Fire.
Still page turners though.
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith
R+M

Post by R+M »

I've read the first three books of the series, gonna start the fourth one later today.

What I like about Martin's writing in ASOIAF books is that he reveals characters' internal dialogues by using italicized passages. This allows for another layer of conflict, characterization, and thematic expression that gets lost in the transition to the show.

A prominent theme I'm noticing is that of filial duty and succession. The Lannister line's power seems to revolve around Tywin since he is the father, but his children seem to hate obeying him. Everyone wants power, but who really wields it?

Something tells me that ASOIAF is more about the human condition than most people care to admit. In response to the reader above, sure, there's a lot of rape and old dudes marrying young women. But it's not as if women are all victims. Look at Cersei -- she uses her gender to her advantage to get the Kettleblack's to do her biding and to get other knights to work as informers for her in King's Landing.

So are women really the weaker sex? Or are some women worse at playing the game than others? And a similar question can be posed toward contemporary society -- just who holds the "power" in "society?"

I would wager that Varys' riddle from A Clash of Kings may provide some insight to an answer. I suggest you all check out How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World by Harry Browne to decipher the riddle.

Very interested to learn more about the House Targaryen, House Stark, dragons, and the Others. Off to read A Feast of Crows now!
BlackRose
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackrose.html

Post by BlackRose »

I'm ashamed to say that I have not read the books (though the tv show is an absolute favorite).
The books are on my reading list, but I read somewhere about a possible spin-off. That Martin would like to write a "Targaryen" story. All the history of this wonderful world through the eyes of the Targaryens.
Now that is a book I couldn't put down.
Catherine and AJ
Currently Reading: Harry potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reading Device: B002Y27P3M

Post by Catherine and AJ »

I just finished reading the first book and started immediately on the second one. I am usually not a science fiction fan, but in this case, I truly enjoyed the book. I felt like I really got to know the characters. I especially liked Martin's portrayal of the strength of women. The women were often the ones leading armies or making plans while their husbands were away or dead, so there were plenty of strong female characters.
I am looking forward to watching the first season of the TV show. Everyone keeps asking me if I've seen the show, but I like reading the book first, so now that I've read the first one, I'll follow up with the recommendations to watch the show.
Miche Sora
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Silence Fallen</a>
Currently Reading: Volatile Bonds
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miche-sora.html
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs

Post by Miche Sora »

The first four books were great, and then the fifth book came out: A Dance with Dragons. I bought the hardcover, had Mr. Martin sign it, got to page 200 or so, and just couldn't continue. I tried a couple of times, but no luck, and ended up giving the book away.
NerdGirl91
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerdgirl91.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by NerdGirl91 »

Miche Sora wrote:The first four books were great, and then the fifth book came out: A Dance with Dragons. I bought the hardcover, had Mr. Martin sign it, got to page 200 or so, and just couldn't continue. I tried a couple of times, but no luck, and ended up giving the book away.
I did the same thing! I haven't given up completely yet. I'm going to try and read it again this summer.
Miche Sora
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Silence Fallen</a>
Currently Reading: Volatile Bonds
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miche-sora.html

Post by Miche Sora »

I just saw the GoT Live Concert Experience last night. It was amazing!
She reads books
as one would breathe air,
to fill up and live.

--Annie Dillard
KiMB00P
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by KiMB00P »

NerdGirl91 wrote:
Miche Sora wrote:The first four books were great, and then the fifth book came out: A Dance with Dragons. I bought the hardcover, had Mr. Martin sign it, got to page 200 or so, and just couldn't continue. I tried a couple of times, but no luck, and ended up giving the book away.
I did the same thing! I haven't given up completely yet. I'm going to try and read it again this summer.
The books are so lengthy, with A Dance with Dragons I stopped reading halfway through to take a break and read some other books. Then I came back to it a few months later with rejuvenated interest.

I'm just waiting now on the next book. I was a little distraught to find out the next one wasn't out yet, considering A Dance with Dragons was published in 2011. On George R.R. Martin's website he said he was hoping it would've been finished last year, but he's now hoping it will be done this year. :roll:

Then, when it does come out, we'll have to wait another 6-7 years for the last installment, haha.
NerdGirl91
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerdgirl91.html

Post by NerdGirl91 »

tnc08 wrote:I wanted to read this series for a while now, but then I started watching the HBO series. I'm afraid reading the books would make me lose interest in one or the other
I'm currently on book 5 and trying to read the books and watch the show is extremely hard! They don't go in the same direction at times so some characters die in the books but not the show and vice versa. The other down side is the show is close to going farther than the books so it's uncharted territory. Will be interesting to see if the books even get to continue once the show proceeds them.
She read books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live.
-Annie Dillard
Meggie Lou
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meggie-lou.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Meggie Lou »

Is it horrible that I've decided to wait until the series is completed before I read it? I haven't watched the TV show yet either because I want to be able to binge the whole thing. I feel like the experience will be better if I can take a run at it in a continuous pattern rather than waiting months/years for a resolution. I went through ten years of that with Harry Potter. I don't want to go through that again...
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”