A Song of Ice and Fire: Game of Thrones by George RR Martin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
operationpalmtree
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire: Game of Thrones by George RR Mar

Post by operationpalmtree »

tnc08 wrote:I wanted to read this series for a while now, but then I started watching the HBO series. I'm afraid reading the books would make me lose interest in one or the other
I just finished the first book and I have been watching the series nonstop for about a week. I have to say that even though I know what is going to happen in the book that I still couldn't put it down. R.R Martin will make you stay up until the wee hours of the morning just to 'finish this next chapter'. It is a well written amazing adventure. I recommend reading it even though you have started to watch the series!
MatisseVH
Currently Reading: Black Death at the Golden Gate
Bookshelf Size: 1515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matissevh.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MatisseVH »

When I first heard about this series, all I heard was the TV series having excessive gore, sex, violence, and a little bit of fun story line. I wanted to read before watching the series, because I wanted to be able to compare the two, and see if they were better to me than I kept hearing. I love both! This book is fantastic and the TV series just brings it to life in a way that is addicting. Both are highly recommended, although, I warn you that it is extremely graphic, so be wary who you watch with and if it gets uncomfortable, I am sorry.
Rizbi
Currently Reading: The Girl in the Spider's Web
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizbi.html
Latest Review: "Patrick's Journey" by Roy T Humphreys
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Rizbi »

I read ‘Game of Thrones’ (first book in the Song of Ice and Fire series) back in 1997. I had no expectations at all, just thought it was amusing how his name pays homage to J.R.R.Tolkien. But, first few pages, I was already hooked. Loved the way he writes about his setting, his characters and their background – and how he had no qualms in killing any of them. To top it all, the plot and all its sub-plots are so intricately woven, typical with fantasy books, but he manages to make everything fresh and new. Fortunately, back then Martin still releases the next book in the series every two years – unlike now :(

As with the HBO series, I am also a fan. However, not so much of the changes that they’ve made, especially in the latest season. I would still continue watching though :)
Latest Review: "Patrick's Journey" by Roy T Humphreys
Lust_for_Literature
Currently Reading: A Feast For Crows
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by Lust_for_Literature »

bethany_vanwaes wrote:In another realm, there is a land referred to as the Seven Kingdoms. Some years ago, there was a battle with the Mad King, resulting in an end to his reign and the beginning of the reign of the common folk, led by Robert Baratheon, who used his war hammer to take power. After his right hand man dies, he goes in search of his best friend and his close friend in war, Eddard Stark, to make him be the "Hand of the King," a position of great power and great responsibility. Eddard's arrival to the city of King's Landing leads to questions that may cause more trouble than he is aware of.

Simultaneously, Varys Targaryen and his young sister, Daenerys, children of the defeated Mad King, live on the other side of the Narrow Sea, hoping to gather the power to take back the throne that is rightfully theirs. Varys hatches a plan to acquire troops by marrying off his sister to the fierce Khal Drogo, a man who has thousands of men at his fingertips, but is a rough human being who is often seen, like most of his people, as nothing more than a savage.

This series is often compared with The Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien, but I can see almost no reason for why people state that the two are similar. To me, they are entirely different. Both stories are excellent, but George RR Martin's tale of the Seven Kingdoms is much more straightforward than Tolkien's. By no means am I saying that JRR Tolkien was not a master at his craft, but rather that there is something about Martin's writing that keeps my nose glued in the book until I have finished.

This book is worth the read. There is often a complaint about how the show has a lot of nudity and sex, but do not let that stop you from reading the novels. The novels, although they do have some inappropriate content, are much more than erotica written by someone who was bored and sexually aroused. This novel is a masterpiece and, as all books, should be given a chance rather than being judged based on its cover.

Okay, so George R.R. Martin is an engaging and descriptive writer who plunges the reader into a vivid and involved political intrigue -and there are dragons. But can you really compare him to Tolkien? I just don't think that they're on the same level as far as symbolism, character development and emotional depth. Martin is a talented wordsmith but he's got too much going on plot-wise to create the same type of continuity and epic narrative evolution. Plus Gollum.
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

tnc08 wrote:I wanted to read this series for a while now, but then I started watching the HBO series. I'm afraid reading the books would make me lose interest in one or the other
The first season of Game of Thrones is very similar to the book, therefore there is a risk you might lose interest, however the second book onwards things are slightly different in the book due to the addition of new characters which dont appear in the tv series to maintain plot simplicity.

The more you progress through the book series, the more changes occur, so that by the time you read the most recent book, you wonder how the tv show can get by with such detrimental characters missing from the book series.
comebackmandy
Currently Reading: Percy Jackson and the Olympians
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-comebackmandy.html

Post by comebackmandy »

I actually watched season 1 and 2 before reading the books. It was actually extremely helpful to get the ideas of the characters and all their houses and what parts of the world they live in. It made the books easy to start reading because you have an idea of where everyone fits in. I finished reading all the books that are out and am patiently waiting for the rest of the series to be finished. The books way more intriguing than the T.V. show.
Kehvex
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kehvex.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by Kehvex »

Hey everyone,

i am currently reading this book and i am astounded, how did this book get so popular?

it might be the depravity that is frequent with most of the fantasy books that i have read. it just is horrid i think.

i mean it is definitely readable and i enjoy the wonderfully crafted tale that is bound to unfold from the rest of the series
(i got the set box of the whole series and i plan on reading them later on throughout the year.)

but do you think that it was because of the show that the books made as big of a splash as they did, or do you think that it was the community that followed the books before that show got made?

comments and opinions welcome.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

ptrish26 wrote:In order to fully enjoy a book series and the tv show/movie, you really need to learn to separate the two. They will never be exact and all of it is meant to tease your imagination. That being said, Game of Thrones did a great job following the books even though they use some of their own ideas or mix books together. Still a fantastic show.

I agree says Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
LADelgado
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladelgado.html
Latest Review: "Wake Up" by Claire Colley

Post by LADelgado »

I admit I read them before the series began, but the series really did galvanize my interest. I hate that I love this series, books and show! But I'll focus on the books. As i'm reading it I am equal parts appalled and addicted, some of it is so sick, and I think to myself who is this guy that can come up with this? But then again I can't help it, I need to keep reading, I need to know! Too bad he's keeping us in epic suspense. The story is so intricate and complicated I have no idea how he's going to wrap it up in 2 books.

I don't think GRR Martin is like Tolkien at all. First of all, Tolkien likes nice and fuzzy happy endings where the good guys beat the bad guys. GRRM doesn't like pure good or bad characters, which is part of the appeal for me, I love the grey characters where you hate and love them.
Latest Review: "Wake Up" by Claire Colley
chris_chesne
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by chris_chesne »

I agree with those above who have said that you have to separate the TV series and the books. I love both, but it has to be understood that no matter how hard HBO tried, they never would have been able to perfectly follow the books with the TV adaptation. I love that HBO has made it their own, while still holding true to the major themes of the books. I am a bigger fan the books, but as stated earlier, the town must be taken separately, especially after the first season.
Great_Novel_Review
Currently Reading: Stranger In A Strange Land
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-great-novel-review.html

Post by Great_Novel_Review »

I just finished A Game of Thrones. I couldn't put the book down it seemed. I just liked the characters so much. There are some chapters that drag but that is how reading and writing goes sometimes. I liked the first season of the show a lot but the book is more enjoyable to me. I will be starting A Clash of Kings soon! I have watched the other seasons of the show but I look forward to enjoying some of the characters POVs in the book.
Seraphia Bunny Sparks
Currently Reading: Lying Lainey
Bookshelf Size: 653
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seraphia-bunny-sparks.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah
Reading Device: B01J94T4R2

Post by Seraphia Bunny Sparks »

I have really enjoyed reading this book especially since I had nothing to really judge it against since I had yet to start watching the show but I love how well George writes his characters and the various scenes. His books have their dull moments but they always come back and become more engaging when they need to. I just sometimes wish I could just jump to the chapter or scene of where my favorite character is so that I can know what is going on with them next.
Rachel1019
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel1019.html
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather

Post by Rachel1019 »

This series of novels has become a very well-known and well-loved series on TV. Since the TV series is readily available and does not require reading incredibly large novels that would take a lot of time to read, most people will never read them. That is truly a shame. I started reading these books out of pure curiosity to see how they compare to the show. I was pleasantly surprised that the world I had begun to know, was very dissimilar from the one that I read about. The action in the show is the focus. But the books focus on much more than simply the exciting moments. It tells the tale of each character in excruciating detail. All of the thoughts and emotions that the characters have about even the smallest of happenings is recorded. And that lends a lot of knowledge about who these people are, and forges a great bond between reader and the characters. This is a fantastic series and I think it should be read by anyone who is willing to spend the time to do so. Out of personal experience, I can say that it is definitely worth the time and effort.
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather
Bill
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bill.html
Latest Review: "Magpie" by Paul Jameson

Post by Bill »

I don't think I've ever met anyone that doesn't like this book and the HBO series as well. I remembering staying up all night in 2007 I think it was, to read Game of Thrones on the couch while my wife was in bed. Great times.
Latest Review: "Magpie" by Paul Jameson
Mika83
Currently Reading: The Golem and The Jinni
Bookshelf Size: 52

Post by Mika83 »

I think they've been giving too much away in the adverts for the next series. Jon's real parentage has been one of the more fun mysteries of the series.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”