Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials--Any Fans?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bibliophile97
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: So so many. . .
Currently Reading: 80 A.D. The Tekhan of Anuket
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile97.html
fav_author_id: 4351

Re: Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials--Any Fans?

Post by Bibliophile97 »

YES! I loved how imaginative and well written his series was. Its sad that so many people either don't like him or don't know about him.
Tsalagi_Phoenix
Favorite Author: I have more than one
Favorite Book: Also have more than one favorite book.
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsalagi-phoenix.html

Post by Tsalagi_Phoenix »

I love the His Dark Materials trilogy, they are some of my all time favorite books. I love the story and the characters, especially Lyra. I think it is a well-written trilogy that leaves a person with a lot to think about. I know when I finished the books I thought about them for days afterwards.
Gupta
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: The Ocean at the End of the Lane
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Gupta »

The series was very thought-provoking, and I very much enjoyed the ride, but the end was...I felt like it just stopped. The ending ruined the whole series for me.
pagenumber394
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pagenumber394.html

Post by pagenumber394 »

I only mentioned this to people so many times!!!!!!

These books were given to me from a friend who DEMAND I read them. I am so glad she did. I marathon the entire series.

I love HIs Dark Materials. It is too bad that the movie did not work out. I do not even want to get started on that.

These books are deep and complex. However, they are written for children I believe. It definitely does not read like a childrens book.

I think certain people get the wrong impression from this book because of the controversy is stirred. Do not read into the negative reviews. They were written by people that never read the book.
AslansCompass
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aslanscompass.html

Post by AslansCompass »

I've read the first two books and wasn't able to make it further. I disagree with the author's worldview, but his writing style didn't appeal to me either. That said, I see why a lot of people like it.
storywriter84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storywriter84.html

Post by storywriter84 »

It has been a few years since I've read this series. I remember devouring it quickly. Definitely deserves a reread. Might pull them out soon and read them again.
Charlotteniblett7
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlotteniblett7 »

As previously mentioned the film was a disappointment, but the book series had a profound effect on me and was undoubtedly the reason I took to reading so much!! The relationship between Lyra and will is so well written that I became so emotional invested in it that i balled my eyes out at the end of the third book, and up until this point I have never cried over a book!!
Syntheticaudio
Favorite Author: Scarlett Thomas
Favorite Book: The Holy Machine - The End Of Mr Y
Currently Reading: Apocalypse Z
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-syntheticaudio.html
fav_author_id: 26639

Post by Syntheticaudio »

Huge fan here! Read then many years ago now but will never ever forget how they made me feel as a teenager. I was truly sad to finish the trilogy. It is definitely one of the series that really got me into fantasy. What an amazing story it is. I had read the Sally Lockhart books first as a child and have read other books of his since as well. Enjoyed them all.
I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over.
Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

|Kurt Vonnegut|
JRosedale10
Currently Reading: TUCK

Post by JRosedale10 »

Yes i am a huge fan! there is a lot of kerfuffle about him writing the series in retaliation against C.S. Lewis but i adore the books for their merit and creativity, not their religious associations.
He writes so beautifully, and his setting is utterly bewitching. Lyra is possibly one of the best young girl character ever written- she has all the spunk and bravery i wish i had, and adventure seems to just fall into her lap. What wouldn't i give to have a mysterious uncle to spy on, and magic floating about like particles in the air??
I suffer from insomnia, so the audiobooks to this series (which are dramatised, so a but different from the norm) have saved my sanity a number of times! Also wonderful if the books are on your list to read but don't feel you have the time (or, if you have the sort of insecurity that doesn't allow you to read kids books on public transport).
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

I loved this series. I think the religious controversy prevented the books from gaining more popularity. The Golden Compass movie was well done, too. I never knew he wrote anything else, will definitely have to check out Pullman's other books.
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”