Miss peregrine's home for peculiar children

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ginya
Currently Reading: It Ended Badly
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginya.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Re: Miss peregrine's home for peculiar children

Post by Ginya »

I thought this was better than a number of YA books I've come across, not counting The Hunger Games and Divergent trilogies which I really liked, for many of the same reasons above. What drew me to this of course was the cover first and the pictures within (it makes me think I should go back to my favorite thrift store on first and look at their old photo collection to see if I find anything to derive stories from) including the picture on the back cover of that handsome rogue, Ransom Riggs. The story didn't disappoint either, as it was creative and well thought out and full of characters that felt decently 3 dimensional. I loved the variety of personalities that were as diverse as the pictures they were based on and I felt that the pictures were not a crutch for a weak story at all and instead added an element of sideshow-esque horror. I'm so looking forward to reading the next two books and catching the movie.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
MerryLove
Currently Reading: A Court of Wings and Ruin
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merrylove.html
Latest Review: "Coppers Journey" by Julius Green
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MerryLove »

This book was published in 2011 and is the first in a series.

There was one thing I learned about this book after reading it that I wish I'd known before I read the book. Within the story there are 50 vintage, unaltered photographs. The author found these photographs and wanted to tell their story. This gives the book a very interesting premise, and a different approach to a fictional world. It's a very unique take on a book, and I was glad to have found out about it.

In the story, Jacob grows up hearing the crazy stories about the peculiar children his grandfather grew up with, but doesn't believe him. When his grandfather dies, Jacob has a hard time coping with his grandfather's last words. His therapist suggests that he make a trip out to the island where his grandfather grew up, in hopes it will give him some sense of closure. On the island, everything starts to change.

I really wanted to like this book.I saw the preview for the upcoming movie and was very excited. This book, however, was very hard to get through. It crawled along at a dull snail's pace for the first hundred pages or so. If I hadn't have seen the preview and knew that there had to eventually be some interesting characters, I don't think I would have finished the book.

The book is well written. The author uses good description and sentence structure. The addition of the photographs was a new take and added a unique element to the story.

The story starts in a realistic universe and then eventually and the author's fantasy universe. From the film preview and the title, I was expecting more than I felt the author delivered. I wasn't even sure if I could classify it as a "fantasy world".

Jacob wasn't a memorable character, or someone to admire. He was a wealthy kid with no friends, who didn't appreciate his job at the family company and tried to get himself fired. He didn't have respect for his parents. His only redeemable quality was that he cared for his senile grandfather and checked in on him once and awhile. Once his grandfather dies, this already unconfident character who doesn't try to do anything to better his life goes in to even more of a depression. I felt sorry for him, but I didn't really like him as a person.

There also wasn't a strong pull toward any of the characters introduced later in the story either. I liked stories where I'm invested in the book and deeply care about the characters and their growth. When there's not a whole lot to them and their growth is minimal or not very well laid out, it's easy to get bored with them.

While there were a couple of events that were exciting or surprising, they were not big enough to merit the read it took to get there. The ending was also unsatisfactory. It didn't end on a complete cliffhanger, but it felt that there should be more. It didn't feel like a satisfying end.

Rating

I would give this book a 2 out of 4. While it wasn't a complete waste of my time to read, I know I won't ever have the desire to read it again. I certainly won't bother reading the sequel. The photography does give it a unique element. If you are entirely set on reading this book, I wouldn't argue against it. Like I said, it wasn't a COMPLETE waste of my time. I would not, however, recommend this book to anymore. There are so many better books you could be reading instead.
Latest Review: "Coppers Journey" by Julius Green
martha87
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martha87.html
Latest Review: "What the Thunder Said" by R. R. Washburn

Post by martha87 »

I picked this book up one day after finding it on a "Must-Read" list. I wasn't terribly sure about it when I started not really the type that likes curio books. After a few pages I was hooked. I enjoyed that the author used a voice that seemed appropriate to the time period. It immersed the reader in the story and gave the book a feeling of authenticity which went perfectly with the photographs. I agree that the ending was a bit abrupt, but when I was reading it, I knew there was a sequel coming so it didn't surprise me much.
Latest Review: "What the Thunder Said" by R. R. Washburn
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

I like the book but I can't wrap my head around the fact that he's dating his grandfather's love. It's creepy. I think his power is pretty useless and I wished Riggs would have made him cooler but I love the photographs and all the characters and their peculiarities.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?
MagicToDo930
Currently Reading: The Witchfinder's Sister
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magictodo930.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MagicToDo930 »

I am on Library of Souls now and I'm finding it not as interesting or fast grabbing as the first two. I read those two so fast, but this one I'm struggling to really get into it. I'm almost on page 300 and it's moving along a little faster now, but still the plot isn't as great as the other two. Don't know if I'm the only one who feels that way.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Blue-siren
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blue-siren.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Blue-siren »

I thought that it was a very unique book and it was an okay reading,I especially like the parts when rules about peculiars were explained since it build onto the idea of peculiars. However, I feel that the book was over-hyped as a scary book and when I think of scary I think of ghost, monsters, and things that keep you up at night. I was sort of disappointed because I was expecting a scary book but instead got a action/adventure story.

Also I sort of lose interest in the characters since they were only know for their powers not their personalities but Millard was the only character I like and I wished there was more of him in the story. The other characters I really didn't care about and Emma was sort of annoying and needy. She seemed like a reasonable character but then she met Jacob. The ending was good and opened doors for many possibles, though i didn't like how Jacob just left his life. I know it was for a decent cause but it was just quick.

I love Riggs writing, it's interesting and has a nice flow to it. Everything he wrote was understandable and really painted a picture with my mind when I was reading it.

I would recommend the book to kids who are in middle school, since it's a simple read and could really get someone into reading.
iano9
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by iano9 »

This book was amazing, I recommended it to about 5 friends and they all gave 5 star reviews. BEST BOOK EVER
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

I watched the movie recently and I enjoyed it although not as much as the books. I finished the series months back and I particularly love the first one. The picture incorporation was a great idea.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Dcal22
Currently Reading: jab jab jab right hook
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dcal22.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Dcal22 »

I loved this book personally. I always love when you read a story you imagine what a character would look like and this book gave you some help. I feel though the pictures do this book justice. They are kind of creepy but the stories created around them make it a very fun read!
DanielleRBelland1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DanielleRBelland1 »

I was thinking about reading this book fairly soon. I went to see the movie and that was fantastic in my opinion but I definitely left that theater with questions. I believe the book will help me solve all these questions.
Ioana2104criss
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ioana2104criss »

I have read the first two books and I am currently reading the third one.The trilogy is one of my favourites.The author combines love with fantasy making this book very interesting and I definitely recommend it for every one who wants to have magic in their lives.
lm1024
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lm1024.html

Post by lm1024 »

I just finished listening to this on audio. I wanted to read it before watching the movie. My husband said the movie got terrible reviews. I thought the books started out good and kept me interested; however, I, too, agree the book ended very abrupt. Almost like the ending was rushed. I was complete disappointed by the ending. I felt it had so much potential. I feel the author could have left it open for a sequel, but still actually end the first book.
anchor62
Currently Reading: The Hedgehog of Oz
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anchor62.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by anchor62 »

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs is absolutely one of my favorite books (and series) hands down. I was so excited about the series, I was able to get my much younger sister interested in it as well, who then read all of them too. A magical world, time loops, bird guardians, war, love. This has it all. I went through book depression when I'd read it all.

PS-I'd totally be a Miss Penguin or Miss Puffin.
xuanmaii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xuanmaii.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by xuanmaii »

I have finished the first 3 books. Has anyone read Map of the Days? Can you tell me how it is?
ms_vinkel
Currently Reading: The Stranger
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-vinkel.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by ms_vinkel »

I like the first book. It was slow to my liking, but it's also intriguing. But I couldn't finish the second book. I don't think the concept is bad, it just got boring for me.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”