Miss peregrine's home for peculiar children

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
inksomniareads
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inksomniareads.html
Latest Review: "Under A Blood Moon" by Michael Andrews

Re: Miss peregrine's home for peculiar children

Post by inksomniareads »

As has been said, there's a sequel out now. I haven't read it yet, so I can't say anything in regards to that. But I did have a bit of an issue with the usage of photographs in it. Though now that I know it was originally supposed to be nothing /but/ photographs it makes more sense. I felt at times Riggs used the images as kind of a crutch, and relied on them too heavily, instead of letting the story speak for itself. I think it hindered the story he was writing at times. That's not to say the overall outcome wasn't good, because I did enjoy it. I just could have done with less images, as cool and interesting as they were.
Latest Review: "Under A Blood Moon" by Michael Andrews
srkilgour
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srkilgour.html
Latest Review: Blue Collar Cash by Ken Rusk

Post by srkilgour »

I loved this book. I wasn't sure I was going to like it when I started it but it turned out to be so good. I was glad to hear there was going to be a sequel. I'm still waiting for it to come in at the library! I hope it's as good as the first.
Totoro
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-totoro.html
Latest Review: "The Crystal Heart Volume 1" by Anthony Swinsinski

Post by Totoro »

My Girl Scout Book Club is reading this for March. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to Hollow City. Has anyone read the graphic novel? My husband tried the book and did not like it and I am wondering if he is captivated buy the art in the graphic novel, if the story stays true to the book.
Latest Review: "The Crystal Heart Volume 1" by Anthony Swinsinski
AMP76
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: Consilience
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amp76.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by AMP76 »

I bought this book solely for the pictures, it was way too off beat to pass up. I loved it. But, I have to say, I wish there wasn't a sequel, the story and pictures really weren't as good as the original, and of course, now the story isn't going to wrap up until the third book. I know its a marketing thing by the publisher, but in this instance, I really like Riggs original idea of a picture book, I would've been satisfied with just one volume of zany images.
Adventure...one part stupidty plus two parts perseverence....yeah, that's me!
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
nouveau-nerd
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nouveau-nerd »

I really enjoyed the book. Ii think Mr. Riggs did an amazing job creating a story around the freaky pictures. The only thing I didn't like was the BJ trucker insult, I think it was tasteless and unnecessary.
mandylynn

Post by mandylynn »

It was amazing the second one was amazing too... I read it in 2 days
MelisaB13

Post by MelisaB13 »

I loved it too and hoped for a sequel. Happy to know one is on the way. I can't wait to see if it has old pics in it too!
g_b_2015

Post by g_b_2015 »

Upon reading the introduction, i predicted a typical story would follow about a young boy in Florida who went from an uneventful to a less uneventful life. What proceeded completely differed from that mark! The whole story held an ominous aura of varying intensities that kept the reader racing through its content. The story has meaning that a reader of any age could understand while bringing about an intellectual stimulation. i could picture every setting and character with the multitude of figurative language used in the prose, especially personification. If anyone wants to place themselves into a wonderfully peculiar fantasy, read this book.
NerdShopGirl

Post by NerdShopGirl »

I really want to read this title but I've tried several times to start it and always end up putting it down. I'm not sure what the issue is with me because it sounds amazing. I'm hoping maybe watching the movie will regenerate the interest for me, which by the way, horrifies me to say as a book lover but I'm running out of options and I can't seem to force myself into it.
Deee
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 18984">The Two Towers</a>
Currently Reading: Second Foundation
Bookshelf Size: 1417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deee.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Deee »

The first book is on my to read list. It sounds really good.
"But to find out the truth about how dreams die, one should never take the word of the dreamer."

Toni Morrison, The Bluest Eye.
CloudedRune
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloudedrune.html
Latest Review: "Why is the moon following us?" by Mar&iacute;a Escobedo Cubas

Post by CloudedRune »

I've been really curious about this book for a while! I'll definitely have to read it soon.
Latest Review: "Why is the moon following us?" by Mar&iacute;a Escobedo Cubas
Book2Book
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book2book.html

Post by Book2Book »

I'm very interested in reading this book, but I'm a huge scaredy cat when it comes to horror. I get nightmares from the Nightmare before Christmas!

I know this book is paranormal, but how 'horror' is it? TIA!
KateNox
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katenox.html
Latest Review: "Eastern Wisdom Western Soul" by Richard Singer

Post by KateNox »

I am really interested in this book, maybe it is about time to find me a copy and give it a try. So far, I have read so much amazing stuff about it. Not to say how delighted I am for the author's usage of the photographs.
Latest Review: "Eastern Wisdom Western Soul" by Richard Singer
Morgan_Malone
Currently Reading: Queen of Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-malone.html
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine

Post by Morgan_Malone »

I have heard so many good things about this series. I really want to start reading it b
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine
ms-harris
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by ms-harris »

I have read this one, and to be honest, I was conflicted at first. I was really unsure if I would like it or not. I am now about to re-read it because I plan to read the next one in the series. It didn't grab me at first, but over time I found myself counting the minutes until I could sit down and read it again! Can't wait to refresh my memory and move on to Hollow City!

-- 15 Oct 2015, 08:17 --
Book2Book wrote:I'm very interested in reading this book, but I'm a huge scaredy cat when it comes to horror. I get nightmares from the Nightmare before Christmas!

I know this book is paranormal, but how 'horror' is it? TIA!

I would not put this book in the "horror" category. It does have some paranormal in it as you said, but I can say I was never truly scared while reading it.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”