What is the best vampire book/series you've read lately?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Selbster
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-selbster.html

Re: What is the best vampire book/series you've read lately?

Post by Selbster »

As luck may have it, I just read Here Be Sexist Vampires by Suzanne Wright. I guess it's more for an adult reader cause there were quite a few moments when it got just a bit too hot-and-heavy, but overall, I thought it was a great book. It talks about this woman who is also a vampire and who also happens to be kicking a lot of butt in this book. She's awesome and I just love seeing her stand up to all the sexist misogynistic vampires and prove 'em all wrong. Check it out, I think y'all would really enjoy.
niahime roberts
Currently Reading: Errant Spark
Bookshelf Size: 493
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niahime-roberts.html

Post by niahime roberts »

Lately, I haven't read any vampires novels, but the one I have read and liked are J.R .Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series and my favorite after the timelss Annie Rice's Lestat, Sherrilyn Kenyon's Darkhunter series
choward150
Currently Reading: Unspeakable Acts
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choward150.html
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by choward150 »

Vampire Academy hands down is one of my favorites. I have every book the series.
DB44
Currently Reading: Breaths in Winter
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-db44.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00REQKWGA

Post by DB44 »

I'm afraid I am old school on vampires. I enjoy the old evil vampire concept as seen in Dracula and Carmilla and Salem's Lot. I think Anne Rice started the rot and Stephanie Meyer's pretty well took things to the extreme. Having said this, I've read the Twilight books and most of Anne Rice's books and enjoyed them for what they are, though as an older reader I recall wanting to throttle Bella in the second book for her selfishness. On a side note, I enjoyed the movie "The Host" which was apparently adapted from a Stephanie Meyer's novel which I must put on my reading list.

I now separate fiction involving Vampires into the new romance type category and the traditional vampire category. I love the latter but now generally seldom read the former.
Jjnessie 33
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnessie-33.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by Jjnessie 33 »

The classic Dracula. Nothing can beat the classic. It will probably always be my favourite vampire book but I am open to reading others. I tried to get into the house of night series but i had problems. Twilight definatily not good, Vampire diaries was okay but not my favourite.

-- 16 Oct 2016, 22:39 --

Vampire academy is the best so far I love Rose and Dimitri totally shipping for them eepp i hope she comes out with a new book I heard there is a possability but I havent heard anything in years now keeping my fingers crossed
Purzum
Currently Reading: The Martian
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Purzum »

The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice will always be my favorite vampire series. Lestat is such a dynamic whinny baby vampire, I just love him. I did, however, have a brief love affair with The Chronicles of Valdimir Tod. That's a really good YA vampire book series, I'd recommend it to anyone.
DB44
Currently Reading: Breaths in Winter
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-db44.html
Reading Device: B00REQKWGA

Post by DB44 »

I'm currently remedying a gap in my vampire education. I only recetly discovered the Historian on this site and am almost finished reading it. I love the traditional vampire stories, the ones where the vampire is in fact both supernaturally based, evil and damned. Dracula, Carmilla, Salem's Lot etc.
WolfGirl1777
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by WolfGirl1777 »

It's been awhile since I've read it, but my favorite Vampire series is Vampire Kisses by Ellen Schreiber. It's about a misfit goth girl in her teens who loves anything vampire. So when a rumor spreads about the new family in town being vampires, she's naturally attracted to the family's son that's about her age. There is 9 books in the series - not super thick. And two spin off series.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

The only vampire series I read was the Twilight Saga series. I haven't been able to get into another vampire book/series since.
bluestreak77
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluestreak77.html

Post by bluestreak77 »

I have several vampires series in my library, but a lot of them are romance. I can't do Twilight. I think the best series I have read lately (there are always more series) is the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton. She is a vampire hunter who is an animator, raises the dead. She is a dangerous in a small package. She deals in death, blood, paranormal beings, romance, and mystery all rolled into one. There are several books in the series, so you get to read for days. You fall in love with the characters. You laugh at her foul-mouth language and attitude. She It's first person, so she is telling you the story, and it's a page turner. It's not scary, but it is much better than Twilight because it's not young adult. Werewolves and vampires are involved, but still a good read.
If you need more suggestions, I have more!

-- 31 Oct 2016, 02:31 --

Hey! I read the Black Dagger Brotherhood by JR Ward, too. Her books are amazing. Its insane about how well she writes. I have some trouble with some of the double character books. An author usually does one story per couple, but she continues the story. I like The King, when she did that with Wrath, but I haven't gotten too much father past that, but they are in my book pile.

Sherriilyn Kenyon is another talented writer. I wouldn't really categorize her as a vampire writer, but supernatural, definitely. Her League novels are just as good as her Dark-Hunter series.

If you want a vampire series that is more comical, you can do Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson.
brandie0773
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandie0773.html

Post by brandie0773 »

I just started reading the bound series by stormy Smith and they are really good so far.. :)
NerdGirl91
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerdgirl91.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by NerdGirl91 »

Lyndsay Sands has a decent series going for the vamp lover in everyone. All stories have a touch of erotica though, so not for everyone.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
raeryn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raeryn.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper

Post by raeryn »

I really enjoyed Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead. The writing style is okay, but the plot is pretty good.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Post by micoleon13 »

DB44 wrote:On a side note, I enjoyed the movie "The Host" which was apparently adapted from a Stephanie Meyer's novel which I must put on my reading list.
I really enjoyed The Host. I haven't seen the movie yet but would like to. I didn't really like the Twilight series so was wary reading The Host. Was completely different!! Would reccomend you give it a go!

-- 15 Apr 2017, 18:00 --
bluestreak77 wrote:Hey! I read the Black Dagger Brotherhood by JR Ward, too. Her books are amazing. Its insane about how well she writes. I have some trouble with some of the double character books. An author usually does one story per couple, but she continues the story. I like The King, when she did that with Wrath, but I haven't gotten too much father past that, but they are in my book pile.
I came across the Black Dagger Brotherhood from a reference off one of these forums. I really enjoyed them, I thought it would just be an easy no thinking read, but it really sucks you into the story
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

Twilight was very "been there, done that" for me. I've experienced it and I don't want to again haha. I recently read Salem's Lot and thoroughly enjoyed it. I am interested in reading some Anne Rice, and I have heard pretty good things about Vampire Academy, so I am excited to read that series!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”