Official Review: Blue Star

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lovebooks10
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovebooks10.html
Latest Review: "Shades" by Rose Jones

Official Review: Blue Star

Post by lovebooks10 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blue Star" by John W. Holt.]

This review is of the book Blue Star by John W. Holt. It is sci/fi.

The books journey begins by learning of the characteristics of five aliens and how they are planning on entering Earth. You are told the similarities and differences of the aliens to the humans. You learn how the aliens will assimilate to life on Earth. The book really goes into details about how the aliens will transform themselves before arriving at Earth. Such as how one of the aliens was a surgeon and how she was to make the other aliens look more human like. The alien Arnon comes out as a main character in the story.

The story then fast forwards three years. You are introduced to the character Henry Lucas. You learn a little about Henry's life history and how awful it has been for him that he lost his father. Also, how Henry works at a grocery store and has not gone on to college. He is stuck in a stand still because his family lost their father and he hasn't been able to move on. He also feels a responsibility to his mom siblings and grandma. He seems like a shy person who does not have much of a social life at the moment. he seems like he regrets that he was never able to go off to college and get a job like he and his father had talked about.

Next, Shadix is brought into the story. He is an FBI agent. He is looking into cyber attacks. The aliens company has attracted Shadix's interest in his investigation.

Henry is driving home from work and he sees someone broke down on the side of the highway. He sees it is a woman and her name is Agnes Brody. She proceeds to tell Henry her story. She told him that he would never believe her, however she told him anyways. How she worked for a man and came to find out he was an alien. She tells him she is on her way to try and stop him from getting a signal out to his planet. She is very convincing to Henry.

All the characters end up in the same place for the end of the story.

I thought this was a fast easy read. I enjoyed it and thought it was an interesting read. I thought it was cool that the character Henry finds himself getting on with his life after having been involved in something so huge.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Buy "Blue Star" on Amazon
Latest Review: "Shades" by Rose Jones
DJK Media
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DJK Media »

I found this review frustrating because all it did was tell some very basic (surface level) facts about what happens in the story. It did not get to grips with the moral complexities or otherwise and whether or not they worked.

It did not provide any detail on whether the book was well-written and what made it so or not. In fact, I felt the review was written by a child who only saw a very basic level of storytelling and did not understand the complexities of character or story, or the choices the author had and if they were used effectively.

These are the essentials of a proper review. A reviewer must understand the technicalities of writing, characterization and story telling in order to write a decent review. It's not sufficient to say, "This happened and that happened and I thought it was pretty good" which is essentially what this review does.

After reading this review, I still don't know whether this book is worth purchasing.

I would ask the person who vets these reviews to please ensure the reviewer is capable of a genuine review rather than simply rehashing what happens in the story on a most basic level...which ultimately, is useless.
spablo_94
Currently Reading: Redeployment
Bookshelf Size: 317
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spablo-94.html

Post by spablo_94 »

DJK Media wrote: These are the essentials of a proper review. A reviewer must understand the technicalities of writing, characterization and story telling in order to write a decent review. It's not sufficient to say, "This happened and that happened and I thought it was pretty good" which is essentially what this review does.
Thank you for an honest comment to this review. I will definitely follow what you said. I am currently reading a free book from onlinebookclub.org, and afterwards I have to review it. Your comment will really help me to do my best to give a good review about this book I'm reading.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

The story sounds good; but what you wrote here is more of a summary than a review. You've made a lot of grammatical errors as well.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
DJK Media
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DJK Media »

I hope the feedback will help. I understand that not everyone starts out knowing how to do this. But it's always best to read a few reviews by experienced reviewers before penning your own. Then you have a good idea of what to do. Also, Leon's comment about the grammatical errors, yes, you'll have to pick up the ball there, too. But good to see someone having a go...

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”