Percy Jackson: The Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
syedalimudassar
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-syedalimudassar.html

Percy Jackson: The Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan

Post by syedalimudassar »

Imagine finding out that myths are actually history, your father is really a Greek god, and there's a host of mythical monsters out to kill you. Well for Percy Jackson that's reality, and on top of that, he's right in the center of a dangerous controversy between the gods. If he doesn't do something quick, countless innocent lives could be lost.

Engaging characters, surprises at every turn, and a melding of mythology with our everyday reality combine to make The Lightning Thief a thoroughly enjoyable read. It does contains some very mildly disturbing images of torment in the underworld, cursing in ancient Greek, and various combat related wounds/death, but the content is otherwise clean and the tone light.
Jamil Thornton
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamil-thornton.html

Post by Jamil Thornton »

The Lightening thief is a great book. It's funny, page turning and is great for all ages to read. The movie didn't do the book justice. The characters all played a great role it was like a newer version of Narnia.
Piyush98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-piyush98.html

Post by Piyush98 »

One of the best book ever.
rockin_robyn

Post by rockin_robyn »

I had fun reading the whole series. It was very well written. Light easy reading but still a page turner.
Lucy
Favorite Author: Louis de Berniers
Favorite Book: The War of Don Emmanuels Nether Parts
Currently Reading: Hunted COMMA by Kevin Herne.
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy.html
Latest Review: "PUWULO" by BD Gray

Post by Lucy »

Some have said this book (and the following series) is a Wannabe Harry Potter, but I think this is unkind. Riordan skilfully takes the classical myths of antiquity, updates them, and makes them relevant to young, reluctant readers. A lovely touch is that Percy, whose "brain is hardwired for ancient Greek" is dyslexic and as ADHD, comes from a single parent family, and gets to whoop supernatural butt. This series will get your reluctant kid reading, and, if you a reading aloud at bedtime, you will love it too.
Latest Review: "PUWULO" by BD Gray
S_Cote1975

Post by S_Cote1975 »

I started reading about Percy Jackson because my son wanted to read "The Lost Hero". I read it with him and couldn't put it down. I then read the whole Percy Jackson series back to back. I do agree that the movies definitely do NOT do it justice! (though they are still enjoyable in their own right.)
rhea7553

Post by rhea7553 »

I love this series. It really brings the Greek God myths to live. I can't get enough of them.
kjmertsock
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjmertsock.html

Post by kjmertsock »

Absolutely love Rick Riordan's series. I cannot wait to start reading more books by him!
KimMarie89

Post by KimMarie89 »

This book is the first book in the Percy Jackson series and the basis of the spin-off series, "The Heroes of Olympus," and ii is a fantastic read. The main characters who are teenage demigods and a protector, Percy, Annabeth and Grover, come together to go on an adventure that leads them to the underworld and back in the pursuit of a stolen lightening bolt that belongs to the Greek God Zeus. In their quest to bring the lightening bolt back to Olympus in order to stop a war of the Greek Gods the demigods encounter various creatures from Greek mythology leading to sword fighting, witty remarks to angry Gods and nail biting encounters with Hades himself. I love that this story laid the building blocks for the rest of the stories in the series and established characters that you could grow to love and respect. The movie covered the basic parts of the books but did not firmly establish the characters motivations and strength of relationships between each character.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have read the series and loved it. The new book that just came out is in my reading list.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
julianfroment

Post by julianfroment »

I really enjoyed this book, and the whole series. It was really good to read something popular that dealt with Greek mythology in a modern setting.
Ikiri81
Currently Reading: The Aeronaut's Windlass
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikiri81.html

Post by Ikiri81 »

I saw the first two movies, and i liked them. I am planning on reading the books. Most movies now a days are based on books, so my book list is growing faster now.
MysticalForce

Post by MysticalForce »

I loved it ,funny allot of action
Ashah Taylor
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashah-taylor.html

Post by Ashah Taylor »

I love the Percy Jackson and Heroes of Olympus books. I started reading them because I love Greek Mythology and ended up absolutely adoring the series. I have to agree that the movie didn't do the book justice.
Njkinny
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Empowered
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njkinny.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Njkinny »

I loved the series..
Njkinny :techie-reference:

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”