Dune by Frank Herbert

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RJohnReves
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjohnreves.html

Re: Dune by Frank Herbert

Post by RJohnReves »

Personally I never cared for the Dune books. I could not get 'emotional' about ANY of the characters.
Brannigan

Post by Brannigan »

I'm in the process of reading Dune for the first time. I've always wanted to read it but never got around to it. I generally read more fantasy than sci-fi, and I have to say Dune is a great gateway book for me. Dune shares a lot of similarities with epic fantasy. The first 20 pages where a lot to absorb and get through, but now the story is really grabbing me and I'm enjoying it a lot.

I have been wondering about the chapters, in my edition the chapters aren't numbered and it really bothers me. I was trying to figure out why and I realized subconsciously I like seeing the numbers get bigger I feel like I'm progressing in the book but with no numbers I don't get that subconscious satisfaction. Is it just me or do you feel the same?
RJohnReves
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjohnreves.html

Post by RJohnReves »

Brannigan wrote:I'm in the process of reading Dune for the first time. I've always wanted to read it but never got around to it. I generally read more fantasy than sci-fi, and I have to say Dune is a great gateway book for me. Dune shares a lot of similarities with epic fantasy. The first 20 pages where a lot to absorb and get through, but now the story is really grabbing me and I'm enjoying it a lot.

I have been wondering about the chapters, in my edition the chapters aren't numbered and it really bothers me. I was trying to figure out why and I realized subconsciously I like seeing the numbers get bigger I feel like I'm progressing in the book but with no numbers I don't get that subconscious satisfaction. Is it just me or do you feel the same?

I never thought about it so I guess the numbering of chapters is not important to me. I do prefer for chapters to be titled though.
ashewilcox

Post by ashewilcox »

I have a love hate relationship with this book. I love it so much I reread it every few years or so to refresh the story in my mind. That being said it is a complicated book. There are a lot of details that you can just flat out miss especially if you speed read. Every time I read it I find something new I missed or some details that get a little sharper in my mind. I wouldn't call this a leasure read though. I think you definitely have to spend some time thinking about this book.
ShawHamp
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Favorite Book: Memory of Light
Currently Reading: Orphan Train
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by ShawHamp »

I just finished Dune for the first time. Did anyone else feel like Dune was very much modeled after a Shakespearian play? These are broad examples, but that's all that's really needed:
  • The main characters, particularly the females, are smarter than everyone else in the room but still remain subservient to men
  • There are mistaken identities (Moad'Dib/Paul Atreides/Usul) that bring about a "happy" ending (at least an ending that works out for the best)
  • There were multiple characters involved and misunderstandings contributed to the end of the story, be it tragic or happy
  • There is a complicated betrayal with some kind of effort to make it right (Yueh)
  • The monarchy is portrayed in a very interesting light (the Baron likes boys, the houses are bitterly pitted against each other, there's war, the Emperor makes a grand appearance at the end)
  • Then the big reveal at the end with everyone present where everything works out and there's a marriage that solves all the problems

I feel like it's the most modern story that takes elements of Shakespeare and originally applies it without rewriting an exact modern replica of one particular play. Did anyone else get that? I feel like it's actually an impressive feat.

I suppose I didn't get so sucked into the story that I was able to stand back and watch it from this angle, which is why I can't stop seeing these parallels.

While the story was good, I don't think it's one of my all time favorites. Just personal preference. I'm really glad I read it though; each time I read a modern classic I understand more of our culture, and I feel like Dune really helped fill in a few blank spots. Especially for a very recent post by Cracked.com that showed up on my Facebook feed...because it was directly quoted from Dune.
Er Perrehnne
Currently Reading: Among Others
Bookshelf Size: 33

Post by Er Perrehnne »

Dune is fantastic. The depth of the characters and cultures astounds me.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

It's such an amazing novel with a multi-layered story. If I remember correctly I read it 5 times and every time I find new details to think about. The sequels are not at the same level but in my opinion even Chapterhouse, the most criticized one, is a masterpiece compared to what Brian Herbert and K.J. Anderson wrote as in my opinion they're really superficial so after reading some of their books I gave up.
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”