Favorite Fantasy Book?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
StefanB25
Favorite Author: Elizabeth Kostova
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading: Jane Erye and Kitchen Confidential
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2969

Favorite Fantasy Book?

Post by StefanB25 »

I've recently started rereading "The Hobbit" for a third time, it's one of my favorite books. Since the movie was coming out I just thought that I would read it again. Anyhow, what is your favorite Fantasy book or trilogy, if you have one? Is it Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, The Dark Elf Trilogy or do you have others that you liked and want to know how other felt about them. Also, this helps me to pick future fantasy books. We can also discuss favorite Sci-Fi book or trilogys here too! Thanks!
booklvr62
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by booklvr62 »

I loved The Hobbit and LOTR trilogy! I also loved The Spiderwick Chronicles by Holly Black and The Dreamhouse Kings series by Robert Liparulo.
char32

Post by char32 »

I am also a fan of J.R.R Tolkein's Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. I've read the books, listened to the BBC audios and seen the movies. He has a great technique of description of everything from people, places, and things. He never left anything for want on detail. When you read his books you know what this person was, what he was doing and some background story. In Tolkein's other books like the Silmarillion he gives even more description of the First and Second Ages, the first war with Sauron and even the seven year siege that ended that first war. The knowledge he poured out about Middle-Earth and the stories in from the heroes of the First to the Third age are quite epic and heroic. It is a good read for anyone.
Quincy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quincy.html

Post by Quincy »

One of my all time favorite series is the Inheritance saga, although the Eragon movie didn't do it any justice.
Bass Clef Builder
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bass-clef-builder.html

Post by Bass Clef Builder »

I just finished reading the Old Man's War trilogy by John Scalzi. It's a great story which draws inspiration from classics like Robert A. Heinlein's Starship Troopers as well as contemporary authors like Charles Stross. The trilogy takes place a few hundred years from now and has humanity dealing with competing for planets to be colonized throughout the galaxy.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

I recently recommended Watership Down in another thread and upon reflection I would have to say that this is probably my favorite book of the "fantasy" genre.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

If you want to try something different, why not read "Boneshaker" by Cherie Priest. She's the queen of all things steampunk. Her Clockwork Century series starts with “Boneshaker” and she’s just written book 5 “The Inexplicables”.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Maud Fitch wrote:If you want to try something different, why not read "Boneshaker" by Cherie Priest. She's the queen of all things steampunk. Her Clockwork Century series starts with “Boneshaker” and she’s just written book 5 “The Inexplicables”.
Ah Maudster was it not moi who put you onto "Steampunk". :D :D
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Elteyr

Post by Elteyr »

Personally, I don't care for the game, but the World of Warcraft Books! Seriously, some of the best books that I've ever read. Blizzard got some fantastic writers, many of which wrote the Dragonlance novels. The story-line is fantastic! The writers just suck you into their world and you can even smell the environment that they paint for you!
booklvr62
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by booklvr62 »

The Adept by Deborah Turner Harris,The House Of Dark Shadows[ BK1-Dreamhouse Kings series] by Robert Liparulo, and The Fire Within by Chris D'Lacey
Arran82
Favorite Author: Tolkien
Favorite Book: The Lord of the Rings
Currently Reading: Book 3 of The Dark Tower
fav_author_id: 10389

Post by Arran82 »

LOTR is my favourite book of all time so I have to say that.
Olivi8

Post by Olivi8 »

Karen Hancock's The Guardian King series is my favourite, four books following the life of the fifth son of a king, sold in to slavery and has to become a gladiator. epic is certainly a word for it. Its easy to read and you get drawn into the story.
rachel5
Favorite Author: C.S Lewis
Favorite Book: Narnia and Redwall
Currently Reading: Aesop

Post by rachel5 »

Definetly The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian and the LOTR triology
A book is a movie that plays in your mind while you read the words in it
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

Quite possibly the dark tower series.
d0dridge
Favorite Author: Raymond Feist
Currently Reading: Ethics on the Ark
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-d0dridge.html
Latest Review: "Aeon" by Peter Donovan

Post by d0dridge »

I have a soft spot for Raymond Feist's earlier books, particularly the Empire Trilogy (co-authored with Janny Wurts). His more recent books are disappointing though.
Latest Review: "Aeon" by Peter Donovan

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”