Favorite Fantasy Book?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
doyle5
Currently Reading: Steelheart
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doyle5.html

Re: Favorite Fantasy Book?

Post by doyle5 »

Quincy wrote:One of my all time favorite series is the Inheritance saga, although the Eragon movie didn't do it any justice.
I really did love this series. I thought it could have been written better. I need to re-read it.
Qittie
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qittie.html

Post by Qittie »

Books which falls under the genre: Fantasy is my 2nd types of books that I love to read after Romance genre. My favorite fantasy book is Grishma which is the first book in the Necoh Saga by Kelly Anne Blount!
Amber OConnor
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Amber OConnor »

I have a hard time deciding between Terry Brooks' Shannara Series and Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality. I have read all of the Incarnations of Immortality at least 3 times and got my husband into them (he is a tried and true Tolkein Scholar) and have read the 1st 7 of the Shannara Series. I want to read everything in this series from beginning to end as I think it will make the whole story complete. They are both great series and worth a read by anyone who has not read them.
ZephyraJ
Currently Reading: Deliver us From Evil
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zephyraj.html
Latest Review: "Bodybuilding for weightloss" by James Eaton

Post by ZephyraJ »

Fantasy is my favorite genre by far! I LOVE LOTR and the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. Those books were so important to my childhood I cannot imagine life without them! But it has been a long time since I have read either. More recently I have really enjoyed Robin Hobbs Dragon series and some really fun books by Charles de Lint. I cannot choose! Don't make me choose!!! LOL
Latest Review: "Bodybuilding for weightloss" by James Eaton
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

Mine would have to be the stormlight archives by Brandon Sanderson :). They're so different compared to his other books. A lot more depth in both story and characters that I often just get entirely lost in them
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
Chrislock
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrislock.html
Latest Review: "Great Lakes" by Lilly Kirckof

Post by Chrislock »

My favourite fantasy series would have to be the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. The level of detail was always fantastic.
Latest Review: "Great Lakes" by Lilly Kirckof
linseaskinner
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linseaskinner.html

Post by linseaskinner »

I really enjoy the Harry Potter series. I love the way that it's written. I also love the Shadowhunter series.
Avid_Reader18

Post by Avid_Reader18 »

This is so hard to choose just one! I have so many series that involve fantasy that are simply wonderful- Enclave trilogy by Ann Aguire, The Den of Shadows Quartet by Ameilia Atwater-Rhodes, Shadowcry trilogy by Jenna Burtenshaw, The Passage trilogy by Justin Cronin, The Immortal Rules trilogy by Julie Kagawa, The Black City trilogy by Elizabeth Richards, The Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth, or The Immortal Beloved trilogy by Cate Tiernan...all so wonderful and filled with distinct and beautiful worlds to get lost in!

--Katie T.
whaley_t

Post by whaley_t »

I would have to say that my favorite is the Tower and The Hive Series (also known as the Rowan Series), this series actually made me an Anne McCaffrey Series. I am about to start the Dark Tower Series.
screece1220

Post by screece1220 »

I love Sheri S. Tepper! The first book I read of hers was Beauty. She packed so many different world problems in that one book alone, and I could not put it down. Then, I found like ten more of her books at a used book store and bought them all! Grass and The Gate to Women's Country are two of my favorites. I can hardly ever predict her twists at the end of her books.
J-Smith-33013
Bookshelf Size: 774
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by J-Smith-33013 »

I have two series that I really love. The Guardians Series by Lola StVil is one. She also has The Noru Series that follows this series but it didn't hook me like this one. I also love The Arelia LaRue Series by Kira Saito. New Orleans and Voodoo never really held my interest much but her books have a way about dragging you in and holding you there. Her books are well thought out and she can explain her world and characters to where you feel like you are there with them and know them personally without the book feeling like they are dragging with too much description. When I found this series I read them all in 2 days. I did not want to put them down. there is currently 6 books in the series.
jstriker
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jstriker.html
Latest Review: "The Circle Now Is Made" by Mac Fletcher

Post by jstriker »

I'm honestly not sure if this book falls into the fantasy category, but it has magic, were-creatures, vampires, and demons, so parts of it definitely qualify. Sunshine, by Robin McKinley is hands down my favorite fantasy book. I loved the unique handling of the concept and appearance of vampires and the integration of magic and demons into a relatively modern setting. And the protagonist works at a bakery and makes cinnamon rolls as big as your head! What could be better?
Latest Review: "The Circle Now Is Made" by Mac Fletcher
kl23
Currently Reading: The Rising
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kl23.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by kl23 »

Brandon Sanderson's first Mistborn trilogy and particularly the Stormlight series. Also anything by Patrick Rothfuss, cannot wait for the sequel to Wise Man's Fear! I love these fantasy books because they have such depth to both the worlds and the characters, the balance between them is just right, yet the ideas behind the creation of magic and power in the worlds are so different. I'd also have to add The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
CLRogers90
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clrogers90.html
Latest Review: "A Bullet for Love" by Mohammad Bakhtiar

Post by CLRogers90 »

While at one point I would have immediately jumped into this discussion confessing my undying love for Tolkein and Lord of the Rings, I have to say that I am drawn more and more every day to Robert Jordan (and Brandon Sanderson) and the Wheel of Time series. Now, before you jump me in a dark alley, I acknowledge that Jordan's books could not even exist without Tolkein's and concede that Tolkein's are, objectively, better. Personally, however, I feel like I got much more from the Lord of the Rings at a younger age and was frustrated that there were so few of them. The Wheel of Time has answered my cries for help and delivered an interesting story in a universe similar to Lord if the Rings with over 14 books to choose from. I guess I'm saying that Lord of the Rings is definitely where it's at, but The Wheel of Time is helping me sate my thirst for more.

CR
Latest Review: "A Bullet for Love" by Mohammad Bakhtiar
mstnglady
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstnglady.html

Post by mstnglady »

Rereading the House of Night Books currently. A series in which Vampyres are a created with genetic anomaly rather then a bite. It follows a young lady into changing from a regular teen into a mature vampyre. Great reads for teens who like the paranormal. And some adults too :)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”