Please tell me your favorite Fantasy Author

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
hartmanr1
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hartmanr1.html

Please tell me your favorite Fantasy Author

Post by hartmanr1 »

I'll kick off this thread by naming two

Neil Gaiman

Dick, the author of Blade Runner

McGuire, the author of Wicked

Have you read them ?

Do you like them?

Who do you recommend ?
sjohnston922
Currently Reading: Seraphina
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sjohnston922.html

Post by sjohnston922 »

I've read Gaiman and McGuire. I like Gaiman; McGuire not so much.

My favorite authors change around a lot, but right now they are Jim Butcher, Patricia McKillip, Robin Hobb, and Robin McKinley.
Lydia
Favorite Author: Christopher Paolini
Favorite Book: Valley of Silence by Nora Roberts
Currently Reading: The Dark Highlander
Bookshelf Size: 157
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lydia.html
Latest Review: "Blood Hunger" by L.E. Wilson
fav_author_id: 5906

Post by Lydia »

Those are all very good fantasy authors. My favorites are a bit too much on the kiddie side, I admit.

Let's see, Tolkien for sure. Then there are two others who follow his patterns - Christopher Paolini (Eragon) and Patricia McKillip (Riddlemaster Trilogy). Raymond E. Feist is also another favorite of mine, though his books are a bit too gory and violent sometimes. Of course, there are also Lewis with his Narnia books, Cornelia Funke (Inkeart), Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson), Philip Pullman (His Dark Materials) and Brandon Mull (Fablehaven). Oh, and Derek Landy - his Skulduggery Pleasant books are simply exquisite!
I read, therefore I am.
Latest Review: "Blood Hunger" by L.E. Wilson
gipps
Favorite Author: Guy Gavriel Kay
Favorite Book: Tigana
Currently Reading: Shadows Over Bakers Street
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gipps.html
fav_author_id: 13379

Post by gipps »

I'm also a big fan of Gaiman, Dick, and McGuire. Gaiman, definitely, is a favorite of mine. Guy Gavriel Kay is another that I enjoy an awful lot, as is Ursula K LeGuin, Stephen R Donaldson, and Lynn Flewelling. For Science Fiction I really like C J Cherryh. I guess I like authors who, like those you mentioned, don't shy away from dealing with things like gender and loss and power. I also feel like most of them are more optimistic writers, who see humanity as capable of great things despite the capacity to do truly terrible things. But yeah, those are some of my favorites.
Richard Falken

Post by Richard Falken »

My favorite fantasy author is myself. Well, what did you expect to hear? (hahaha)

I would be hardly pressed to find a favorite author other than myself. Terry Pratchet is a contender for the first place, as Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis.
Signatures were traditionally used to append contact information at the end of Usenet posts or emails. Now they are only used for bloating the posts with useless code and the moderators will kick you if you use them for their original purpose.
Kalamazoo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalamazoo.html

Post by Kalamazoo »

I read The Graveyard Book recently and enjoyed it. My favorite fantasy authors are J.K. Rowling, C.S. Lewis and Douglas Adams.
plath

Post by plath »

I'm not into fantasy books that much, but I really loved George R.R. Martin's A game of Thrones series. That counts right?
Tonya
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: honest illusions by Nora Roberts
Currently Reading: elegy
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by Tonya »

Mine are L.J. Smith,Cassandra Clare,Kim Harrison,and Jeanine Frost.
Ikiri81
Currently Reading: The Aeronaut's Windlass
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikiri81.html

Post by Ikiri81 »

Mine would be Terry Goodkind. Another one is Gail z. Martin. I also like Karen Miller and J. K. Rowling. The next author I will read is Laurell K Hamilton. I heard she is really good.
buddyroo
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buddyroo.html
Latest Review: "Planetary Assault" by David VanDyke, Vaughn Heppner, BV Larson

Post by buddyroo »

I like David Eddings, although I only like the Belgariad, and the Mallorean series. His other books seem to just mirror these.
Latest Review: "Planetary Assault" by David VanDyke, Vaughn Heppner, BV Larson
VoraciousReader13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-voraciousreader13.html

Post by VoraciousReader13 »

I can't narrow down my favorite author, not even for a particular genre. However, some of my favorite fantasy authors are George RR Martin, Neil Gaiman, Mary Stewart, JK Rowling, and Jennifer Estep.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

It has to be the one, the only, the inimitable Jasper Fforde.

Try his Thursday Next series for 'another' world experience!
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

My top spot belongs to Richard Adams for one single book, Watership Down. I know there are many more famous fantasy novels and series out there but for me there was something very special about this book. It had been given to me as a gift by my niece so I felt obligated to read it, and though I wasn't expecting much it proved to be one of the best reading experiences of my life. The last page or two of this book ranks very highly among the most beautifully and brilliantly constructed endings I've ever read.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
georgiAAAHHH

Post by georgiAAAHHH »

fantasy is my life!!
i would say my top authors are tolkien, c.s. lewis, philip pullman, robin hobb. :)
Lishytoast
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lishytoast.html

Post by Lishytoast »

The best part of fantasy is, in my opinion, that there is such a beautiful diversity of sub-genres and niches explored by the author. I love so many different fantasy authors that it is difficult to restrict this to only a few. The ones that come to mind however are:
JRR Tolkein
Isobelle Carmody
Tamora Pierce
Roger Zelazny
Brandon Sanderson
Terry Pratchett
Terry Brooks
Derek Landy
and so on...

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”