The Hobbit J.R.R. Tolkien (Spoilers)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cherryvale
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: The Hobbit J.R.R. Tolkien (Spoilers)

Post by cherryvale »

I think The Hobbit book is greater than LOTR book. LOTR are just boring. When Hobbit is exciting. With all the dwarves, the mage Gandalf Grey, and Bilbo Baggins adventure to retrieve dwarve country that is belong to a dragon now. I like the part when they go to orcs tunnel and then escape from there, then when they escape again by big birds when they surrounded by enemy. We think the main part is when they try to kill the dragon but no, story not just stop after that. Instead there's a war between the dwarves and some creature I can't remember. And Thoren get killed in that war.
acasto
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 85">King's Warrior</a>
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acasto.html
Latest Review: "I can still hear what Grandma Said "Give me my flowers while I live"" by Sonya JW Lunsford

Post by acasto »

I read The Hobbit before I read LotR, so I didn't have any expectations for it to live up to. After that I read LotR and thought it was just as good, maybe a little bit better. Then I went back and read The Hobbit again. LotR has so much more depth to the story. The same goes for the movies. (I have only seen the extended version which is 6 disks long.)
Latest Review: "I can still hear what Grandma Said "Give me my flowers while I live"" by Sonya JW Lunsford
rowoody

Post by rowoody »

I have to agree with acasto. I found the storyline of LOTR was a better page turner than the Hobbit. I just couldn't put the books down. A lot went on in the Hobbit but I don't think it was enough to make it a 3 part movie. I'm afraid they will have issues keeping the attention of their audience if they stretch it too long.
Eleko14
Favorite Author: Tolkien
Favorite Book: Mary Stewarts Merlin Series
Currently Reading: The Alchemist of Souls
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eleko14.html
fav_author_id: 10389

Post by Eleko14 »

I first read The Hobbit when I was 7 or 8 years old I think, maybe a little younger (?) I am sure I didn't get the entire meaning and story at that time, but I at least developed a great love of this book. I have read it and The Lord of the Rings series probably 30 times since. They are the reason I love reading, I love writing, and I have such an imagination. I was really worried about The Lord of the Rings movies, but they were done well. Of course some things were watered down, the books are so dense it would be impossible to put everything in the movies. The Hobbit being a three part movie series though is a bit much to me. I have seen the first one, and it was well done, but the story arch of it was a bit boring. I think two movies may have been a better choice, for interest sake. But, we shall see. I know the second one will be on DVD soon, and am excited to see it. The three movies just may be a set that has to be viewed in one sitting...one really long sitting.
acasto
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 85">King's Warrior</a>
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acasto.html

Post by acasto »

I did see the first Hobbit movie. It was only okay. I was upset by how much they changed especially with the Radagast part and including a sinister-sounding Saruman. The music was also very boring and repetitive. (I am a band geek so I pay attention to film scores and stuff like that.) :)
tashinam18
Favorite Author: Shannon Hale
Favorite Book: Goose Girl
Currently Reading: The Iron King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tashinam18.html
fav_author_id: 4972

Post by tashinam18 »

I read the hobbit and loved it! I am really disappointing in the movies so far:p Though the hobbit is good personally I like lord of the Rings way better. No character can beet Frodo, Sam, merry, and pippin.:)
Batesblogger
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Titans Curse
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batesblogger.html
Latest Review: "Broken (I Live To Let You Shine)" by Kimmy Downing
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by Batesblogger »

claire mckay wrote:Yes having seen the second film now I checked the book and was shocked to see how few pages were left to provide for a whole film. Then I read them and realised how epic the five armies battle could be and how Jackson has cleverly added in all the background stuff to explain that better and create characters we'll connect with during it. I can just imagine him looking at that and salivating over how cool that could be and how Tolkien skips over it in a few paragraphs. My daughter read and loved that book but totally misses that three of the dwarves actually die ...that will be an hours worth of drama in the next film!

I am curious to see if he will actually kill off (SPOILLER) Fili Kili and Thorin. They are some of the best characters in the movie. I think they chose the actors to play the brothers for their looks as much as skill, but I think they have become favorites, or it could just be women's favorites. :lol:

I was also a little disappointed to realize how much was left out of LOTR and I think the Hobbit in three movies is genious. But then again I am like a little girl who can't wait to go on opening night and see it, so it could just be because I am excited. It is like triple the excitement of a great book and good movie.

As for the book itself, its so beautifully written. Flows and keeps you interested. 212 (my copy) pages is not much when you compare it to other works, but it seems like there is so much hidden within that small number of pages.
Somewhere out there is a world we never knew existed.

Languages never spoken.
Colors that should not be.
Lives never opened.
Eyes that never see.

And then the page is turned, a universe created.

We are gods.
mui-scrimp
Favorite Book: This question is impossible
Currently Reading: The Red Queen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mui-scrimp.html

Post by mui-scrimp »

I loved the hobbit! It was kind of a "warm up" for me, to prepare me for Lord of the Rings. I enjoyed the lighthearted tale, and as a kid reading it, I loved the simple language. LOTR proved to be a slightly more difficult read, but still enjoyable! As for the movies, I think it could have easily been done in one movie. While I agree with people who say that three movies gives an opportunity to do the book justice, the movie producers don't actually seem to be sticking to the original plot. Sigh.
There are weapons you cannot hold in your hands. You can only hold them in your mind.
-Brian Herbert
Batesblogger
Favorite Author: Tamora Pierce
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Titans Curse
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batesblogger.html
fav_author_id: 3492

Post by Batesblogger »

Don't bite my head off but if straying from the book a little means we get to see more of the sexy dwarf I'm okay with it. :lol:
Somewhere out there is a world we never knew existed.

Languages never spoken.
Colors that should not be.
Lives never opened.
Eyes that never see.

And then the page is turned, a universe created.

We are gods.
Alexavier-Taiga
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Struck By Lightning by Chris Colfer
Currently Reading: reading five books and they wont fit
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexavier-taiga.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Alexavier-Taiga »

I love the book so much. I haven't read LotR yet, or seen the films, but I love The Hobbit movies, even though there are aome unnecessary parts. I think it could have easily been made into one film, but they have added a lot of new things into it, which I am not a fan of. I would have preferred it if they ha stuck to the book an not brought in characters from LotR (Legolas, etc.) I feel there is no need for them to be there.

But in saying that, nothing is without flaws, and I do generally enjoy the films despite their flaws.
So many books to read, so little time..
Colorora
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colorora.html

Post by Colorora »

The hobbit, both the book and the movie are marvelous. I just went to see the third part yesterday and it was beautifully done. As for your remark on how many movies they would do, a lot of the things that happened were brought from the appendices, look it up sometimes. It's all written by J R R Tolkein.
LEissler

Post by LEissler »

I think both The Hobbit and LotR were great books, but I'd have to agree with some of the people on here that say LotR was better. There was a character dynamic in LotR that was near comical at times that I felt The Hobbit lacked. This was especially evident in the movies as Orlando Bloom's character Legolas in LotR was a character with a lot of depth but I felt that in The Hobbit the contrast was too different.
TibbyK
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tibbyk.html

Post by TibbyK »

The book was amazing, I could read it again and again. Also, I don't quite agree with you. While the book is rather short, the movie exploited every detailed scene to the fullest, making it enjoyable, to me at least. I thought they could have done more with the Lord of the Rings books too, it doesn't match up with the movies at all.

I guess my opinion is that, the creator of the Hobbit movie did an amazing job, and I can't wait to watch the last one.
tlynn1107

Post by tlynn1107 »

I enjoyed the book, but I have to say the movie is definitely more enticing. The detail and sub stories just go so in-depth and allowed you to connect on a deeper level with the characters.
Roanhu
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roanhu.html

Post by Roanhu »

I just finished this book not too long ago. I enjoyed the read even though I'm still coughing up deus ex machina

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”