Fantasy Books with a Kingdom Setting?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bibliophile97
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: So so many. . .
Currently Reading: 80 A.D. The Tekhan of Anuket
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile97.html
fav_author_id: 4351

Re: Fantasy Books with a Kingdom Setting?

Post by Bibliophile97 »

Falling Kingdoms by Morgana Rhodes
Bailers77
Favorite Author: Terry Goodkind
Currently Reading: The Scorch Trials
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bailers77.html
fav_author_id: 5284

Post by Bailers77 »

I highly recommend you read the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan. It is a great series and has adventure and a little romance mixed in.
kismoody
Currently Reading: Cat's Cradle
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kismoody.html
Latest Review: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders by Mark Villareal

Post by kismoody »

Since you listed some young adult ones, you might want to try Ranger's Apprentice: Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan. It's a medieval kingdom setup. It's about a boy named Will who becomes apprenticed to a Ranger, a member of an elite corps of spies. When an old threat threatens to destroy Araluen once again, it is up to Will and his mentor, Halt to stop the great evil before it's too late. The characters are entertaining and kept me laughing my head off throughout the entire book despite the darker plot premise. The plot isn't quite as fast-paced as some of the others you mentioned, but it has a high level of intrigue and suspense that pulls the reader in. The later books in the series are even better, but you have to read them in order.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

I LOVED Graceling and am fixing to get the next two. If you liked that series, you should really check out a series by Terah Eden called the Courtlight series. There are three books out right now and the fourth one comes out any day now. This is a REALLY good series to me. You would probably love it! Another great kingdom series is the Light and Shadow series by Moira Katsun. It's a trilogy that is very surprising and very enjoyable.
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
voraciousreader
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-voraciousreader.html

Post by voraciousreader »

I would suggest the Eli Monpress books by Rachael Aaron. The books by Anne Bishop are also quite good, but they have more romance than the others.
krismags
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krismags.html
Latest Review: "Love to Believe" by Lisa Ricard Claro

Post by krismags »

I have recently read The Hedgewitch Queen by Lilith Saintcrow and the Sword of Change series by Patricia Bray. Both are good, although I haven't finished either yet. I'd also second what someone else said about Mercedes Lackey- she has multiple "worlds," and all of her books are excellent
Latest Review: "Love to Believe" by Lisa Ricard Claro
Jasmin Herrmann
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmin-herrmann.html

Post by Jasmin Herrmann »

Try the books of the order by Philippa Ballantine :)
supernerdural

Post by supernerdural »

You should try the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas. The story follows Celaena Sardothien, the best assassin in the kingdom, as she is released from a death camp to fight against other competitors to be the assassin of her greatest enemy - the King - and win her freedom.

They are a brilliant series. So far only 2 books and some novellas have been released but they are stunning.
Ayakashi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayakashi.html

Post by Ayakashi »

uhm, well, if you want a longer book, my all-time favorite books are the Kingkiller chronicals: Name Of The Wind and Wise Mans Fear. the third is coming out eventually. or, for shorter reads more like the ones you mentioned, I would recommend Dragon Jousters, about dragons. The Mist born trilogy is also really great, but again longer.
dragoneyes2005

Post by dragoneyes2005 »

An author I love with a kingdom feel is Jacqueline Carey. She has the Kushiel and Naamah series that I absolutely love. Jim Butcher also b did very well with his Codex of Alera series. I would highly recommend both. Though they are more adult based. Tamora Pierce is excellent of you are looking for more young adult.
Intellijock
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intellijock.html

Post by Intellijock »

Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff is excellent. It is steampunk fantasy set in a kingdom reminiscent of medieval Japan, involving fantasy and mythological creatures as well as steampunk-style technology. There is plenty of action and combat as well.
Ck1219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ck1219.html

Post by Ck1219 »

Tamora Pierces novels are amazing. Also, the redwall series is good too. Yes, redwall is about mice and rabbits and other critters, but very 'kingdom-y' and lots of great action scenes. Very good character development as well.
MyraMoxie

Post by MyraMoxie »

The Magic of Solendrea Series by Martin Hengst is set in a Kingdom. The first book for The Swordmage Trilogy is The Last Swordmage. There is also a stand alone book in the series (set in the same world) called Volinette's Song.
anomalocaris
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anomalocaris.html
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier

Post by anomalocaris »

The Calandra series is a good one.
You can't put a rope around the neck of an idea.
--Vol. Bobby Sands
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier
Norma_Rudolph
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4245">The Gift of Lies</a>
Currently Reading: Enchantment
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-norma-rudolph.html
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by Norma_Rudolph »

Magic Kingdom for Sale by Terry Brooks was a lot of fun.
Also second votes on Brandon Sandersons books, John Flannegans Ranger Aprentice series, and the 100 Kingdoms by Mercedez Lackey. All of those are great!
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”