Fantasy Books with a Kingdom Setting?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cool Books
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cool-books.html
Latest Review: "Life And Beyond" by Aruen Sood

Re: Fantasy Books with a Kingdom Setting?

Post by Cool Books »

try The 500 Kingdoms series by Mercedes Lackey
Latest Review: "Life And Beyond" by Aruen Sood
benji
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benji.html

Post by benji »

Aside from my favorite, the Inheritance Cycle which is probably already mentioned, I found a new one I like a few months ago. The first book is called The Six Swords. They are by Scott Appleton.
DorianC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorianc.html

Post by DorianC »

It's not exactly kingdomcentric fantasy, but have you read the Indigo series by Louis Cooper? The main character is a princess of a kingdom that guards the tower which holds the evils created with Mother Earth destroyed mankind.
JVa1encia
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jva1encia.html

Post by JVa1encia »

sjohnston922 wrote:Have you tried The 500 Kingdoms series by Mercedes Lackey? Its takes on fairy tale kingdoms. The first book is called The Fairy Godmother and follow Elena as she learns how to be a fairy godmother and why certain stories repeat themselves within the kingdom. They are lighter reads then the ones you've mentioned, and has some romance and a lot of humor.

Tamora Pierce would be a good match. She writes a lot kingdom stories. Alana is her most popular series, which is about a girl who wants to be a knight.
I agree! Both authors do a wonderful job bringing you into their respective worlds. They are well paced, stay on track and make you feel at home with their relatable characters.
SequesteredLeo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SequesteredLeo »

I definitely recommend Brandon Sanderson books. Elantris is a great stand alone novel. If you want more young adult, The Rithmatist and Steelheart books are good, but Steelheart was the better out of the 2.
mariah359
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariah359.html
Reading Device: B00OTWPS52

Post by mariah359 »

A great novel to get your started in the Acacia series would be Acacia by David Anthony Durham. I also really enjoyed Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson or then there is the Night Angel Series by Brent Weeks. All set in kingdoms, but with different views and variations. None of them are historically accurate, but they are definitely worth reading.
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg »

Siddharth Kumar wrote:A Song of Fire and Ice by George R. R. Martins..... This series is the basis for the TV series Game of Thrones in HBO. It has
almost everything: adventure, little romance, a LOT of kingdoms, fantasy,etc.....
So so true. I do hope Martin finishes the series before too long. But can understand him being busier since the show hit the ground running.
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor
Morgan_Malone
Currently Reading: Queen of Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-malone.html
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine

Post by Morgan_Malone »

The Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas is a very good fantasy series with a sort of has a kingdom setting. I would highly recommend you pick these up.
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

Try the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas. She is a new author but it is a GREAT series!
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

NovelIdea wrote:One of my absolute FAVOURITES that can fall into this category is Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (in fact, anything he wrote would be a great novel for you, considering your criteria. Maybe also check out Mistborn... awesome series). The story is set among feuding kingdoms. The greatest currency is souls, which can be given up willingly. A person who collects many souls breaks certain barriers and gets new abilities, like keen sight, better hearing, the ability to see colours outside the spectrum we can normally see, etc.

There are several creatures who are considered Gods. They are people who have died, but have been brought back as these huge, beautiful super-human creatures. Each of them were chosen (by whom, we don`t know) because of something they did in their lifetime. They are reborn with no memories of their past life.

These are just some random facts about the universe... totally interesting. The plot is riveting and I would highly recommend looking it up. Fantastic read, 10 out of 10.
Have to agree with you there. Brandon Sanderson writes really good books (often with a kingdom setting) that can captivate the reader from the start.
He has an amazing imagination but really thinks the power and magic through coming up with limitations that may occur. With string characters and an even stronger storylines, I would definitely recommend Sanderson to Fantasy readers :)
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
katelacecarter
Currently Reading: According to the script
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katelacecarter.html

Post by katelacecarter »

The Girl of Fire and Thorns series by Rae Carson, definitely. And Tamora Pierce's The Song of the Lioness series has always been one of my favorites growing up.
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

The Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas is a great series set in a medieval kingdom setting. Also Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo is a good read. :)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”