The Dark Tower by Stephen King

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
claire mckay
Favorite Author: JRR Tolkien
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-mckay.html
Latest Review: "The M-Word" by Josephine Stine

Re: The Dark Tower by Stephen King

Post by claire mckay »

I kind of gave up on this one as think I missed one somewhere and had forgotten too much in between books but you guys are making me want to go dig them all out and blast through them for proper experience !
Latest Review: "The M-Word" by Josephine Stine
Endless-Starry-Mind
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-endless-starry-mind.html

Post by Endless-Starry-Mind »

I will likely revisit this series.
ConnectiveStardust
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-connectivestardust.html

Post by ConnectiveStardust »

I read the first two in this series. I know it is his self-declared magnum opus and feel that I owe it to him to read it. But why does he have to make it so difficult? I mean really! It feels as though he just ripped out his male id and smeared it all over the pages.
angelovich

Post by angelovich »

Stephen King is rightfully named "King" I've read many other titles but not the Dark Tower series. I do believe that's the next series I'm to embark on!
Ash Roarke
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ash-roarke.html

Post by Ash Roarke »

This series by far is the BEST series of all time! I am an avid reader and could not put these books down. It did take me a couple of books in to get truly "hooked", but I can see myself reading this series again later in life.
Galahadrik

Post by Galahadrik »

Out of the countless fantasy books out there "The Gunslinger", by Stephen King, is undoubtedly one of the most riveting tales. It captures audiences from beginning to end, keeping fans guessing all the while. With a certain archaic beauty King portrays a world barren and wasted, with characters nigh unforgetable and a quest that is epic beyond this world or the next.
Roland Deschain, the main protagonist, is perhaps one of the most memorable fantasy heroes. Though his character is slightly limited due to his constant distant demeanor one begins feel a great fondness for the man. The world chewed him up and spit him out yet he keeps trudging forward.

What really makes the book special however is the poetic feeling of the writing itself. It mesmerizes readers drawing deeper and deeper into Roland's world.
"The Gunslinger" is a must read that will take readers from this world into an almost poetic fantasy and leave them wanting more!
donnellbain37

Post by donnellbain37 »

After reading 'IT' by Stephen King years ago, I vowed to NEVER read another book written by him. I was terrified for weeks during and after reading that book. I had to keep looking over my shoulder. His movies are pretty terrifying too, but the books are the worst as you have to use your own imagination. Stephen King, I will pray for your soul!!!!
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I love the fourth book in the series, the Wizard and Glass. It was great to see Roland's past and the events that helped shape who he is as an adult.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
SWilder

Post by SWilder »

I loved this entire series so much that I reread it - the entire series. Truly, the tale of Roland, is one of literature's greatest tales in my view. The metaphysics of this series is comparable to Rowling's, but presented in a more complex way. Rather than becoming integrated culturally, as Rowling's tales have done, King's Dark Tower is a work that is integrated personally, giving new insights into the human psyche and what drives it. It is filled with fascinating characters - Odetta - I mean how can a white man from Maine write a paraplegic black woman with multiple personality disorder? Or a heroine addict? Mr. King seems to have channeled this tale from some dimension that must actually exist somewhere - that's how lucid and gripping it is. And did I say imaginative? Full of symbolism? Highly recommend!
kmsinc28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmsinc28.html

Post by kmsinc28 »

I understand how some readers had trouble getting through this series. I am currently finishing up book IV, the Wizard and the Glass. The first book, the Gunslinger, was fantastic in my opinion. I got through it in a day, immediately drawn in to the detailed wastelands and the bizarre people involved in the book. Even though the main character, Roland, had a complex and stern personality, I felt really attached to him and I was so emotional about the little boy, Jake. The following books were much harder to get through. To me, they really dragged on. I liked a lot of the characters, but I did not really like how they worked together. I did appreciate the depth that went into each character however. Roland was still my favorite. Since the fourth book focuses on his past, it got me interested in the series again and I am excited to continue through it!
derekpowell

Post by derekpowell »

This is one of my favorite series.

"The Waste Lands" was new in the book stores when I discovered them, so I waited a long time to see how it ended.

I actually followed Mr. King's warning and didn't read the very end. I remember it was really late at night. I closed the book, put it on my bedside table, and went to sleep.

I managed to wait until the next day before I couldn't take it any more, and I did finish it.
Theta_sigma

Post by Theta_sigma »

This series is my absolute hands down favorite. SPOILER ALERT (kind of), as with any book I read that I become attached to, I worry that the ending won't do the work justice. I guess I'm afraid that some authors will rush to tie up all the loose ends. Not in this case- King closed the series off with such an original, satisfying ending that it left me in awe and I wanted to go and shake the guy's hand when I closed the cover of the last book. I wrote a paper in college about it, and got the professor into reading the series as well.
jc_smith27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jc-smith27.html

Post by jc_smith27 »

It was an interesting read.

The story line kind of dragged especially when the one book was based upon Roland's lover the whole time. I enjoyed the series as a whole; but, there were some instances where I struggled to get through it.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

My boyfriend has been trying to get me to start reading this series. King has such a reputation, that I am weary to read the series. Is it horror like his other books? I want to try it, but like I said a little weary of the genre it would be.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
LittleQwerty-AZ

Post by LittleQwerty-AZ »

I read them all twice and I am reading the entire series over again... cause you know what? They are going to make a movie and I am just hoping that they do it the same amount of Justice that they did for "The Green Mile". That movie only had 2 differences that varied from the book. The orderly was abusive and the mouse died at the end. I think they changed those in order to make the movie lighter. I can live with that. Now, the real question is... who do you picture playing the characters?

-- 20 Aug 2015, 23:10 --
literarycat wrote:My boyfriend has been trying to get me to start reading this series. King has such a reputation, that I am weary to read the series. Is it horror like his other books? I want to try it, but like I said a little weary of the genre it would be.

I didn't want to start them either. I did and they were AWESOME. Start off with "The Talisman" before you read the series. It will get you intrigued with the territories. It isn't what I would call a horror story though... there are certain creatures that you could consider monsters, but there are other aspects of the series that a woman can love. You are going to want to listen to your boyfriend :!:

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”