The Name of the Wind/ The Wise Man's Fear

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mistborn
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Favorite Book: The Way of Kings
Currently Reading: The Wise Mans Fear
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 4040

The Name of the Wind/ The Wise Man's Fear

Post by Mistborn »

I'd like to start a discussion on the two books mentioned, amazing novels written by Patrick Rothfuss. Since I'm currently stuck living 7,200' up in the Rockies in a town of 15 people, none of who read any of the books I've read, I've been forced to resort to this website, which isn't such a bad thing. ;P

The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear, two books full of secrets. Secrets I'd love to discuss.

-The Stone Door at the University
-The Door at the Lackless mansion/ the Lackless chest
-The Amyr/Chandrian
-Why Kvothe/Kote no longer has his powers
-What's inside of his chest
-Is the story of Taborlin the Great a prophetic tale? A key, a candle, a coin...Both given to Kvothe by Auri. A cloak of no particular color (enshaedn?) A sword that does not break or dull...Caesura?
-Who is Auri and how does she know so much about the Ciridae (The Amyr?)
-Who is Bast?
-Are the master's at the University the Amyr, perhaps?

So many questions!! Let's discuss! Swap ideas and all that jazz ;)
mrrollyj
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrrollyj.html

Post by mrrollyj »

Loved the first two books in this series. My fear is I'll forget too many small details by the time the third reaches us. There also seem to be a lot of loose ends to wrap up in one volume. Just have to wait and see, I guess.
Megthequiet

Post by Megthequiet »

In which I realized I need to re-read the books to truly join in on this conversation. Oh darn. :D
Ayakashi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayakashi.html

Post by Ayakashi »

Oh! these are such wonderful books.

-The Stone Door at the University

I dunno. I haven't really thought about this one too much. I suppose I would have assumed it had books . . . maybe, the true books about the Amyr?

-The Door at the Lackless mansion/ the Lackless chest

eh. didn't think about it.

-The Amyr/Chandrian

ooh. it kinda told us some stuff in wise mans fear, but there is definitely some missing. I'm not sure just what you are asking specifically though.

-Why Kvothe/Kote no longer has his powers

This doesn't interest me nearly as much as why he's working as a bar tender when he promised to go back to the fairy lady.

-What's inside of his chest

probably his rings, cloak, and other important stuff. maybe even the lockless chest.

-Is the story of Taborlin the Great a prophetic tale? A key, a candle, a coin...Both given to Kvothe by Auri. A cloak of no particular color (enshaedn?) A sword that does not break or dull...Caesura?

did you know, I hadn't even noticed the similarities? That would be amazing. I also hadn't noticed that Auri gave him those items. fascinating. And now that you point it out, it's either prophetic, or it's history repeating itself.

-Who is Auri and how does she know so much about the Ciridae (The Amyr?)

there is a 95% probability that Auri is a member of the Amyr. or was a member. that's my opinion. although, we don't really know if she knows ALOT or just knows some, she does act as though she knows lots.

-Who is Bast?

He's a fae prince, we know that much.

-Are the master's at the University the Amyr, perhaps?

nah, or at least not all of them. maybe some of them. some are too dislikable for me to think they could possibly be amyr though.
Ck1219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ck1219.html

Post by Ck1219 »

I love love love Patrick Rothfuss. Love.
Good question about Auri. There's definitely something up there. I think she has to be royalty at least. She's so proper. Hmmmm. Love that character by the way. "Think of all the drunk bees". She's so witty and sharp. "Imagine, asking to see a girls under thing" LOL literally.

I believe Kvothe is a bartender bc he's hiding from the law. Remember one of his names is "king killer". My question is, which king?

What could be behind that darn door!? It has to be something earth-shattering. Has to be.

Why Kvothe lost his power... Well, we know he's dying. I'm gonna guess that it has something to do with that. I mean, he had the strength to kill those spider things, which is supposed to be darn near impossible, yet he got his butt handed to him by those soldiers.
*** did Bast hire those two solders for Kvothe to beat up and feel better about himself or is Bast a bad guy?

Did you know, Pat is coming out with a new book this fall. Before you get all excited, no it isn't the third book. It's a book about Auri. That's the word on the street anyway. And by the street I mean Facebook. I'm kind of Patrick Rothfuss' friend. People know me. I have many leather bound books...

Anyway, let's keep this up. When I have more time I'll go into some of the questions more deeply. I'm going nuts, no one I know has read this book!
mccarty231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mccarty231.html

Post by mccarty231 »

Hi! I love this series, and Patrick Rothfuss is fantastic. I had the chance to meet him a few years ago at a book signing and he was lovely.

Anyway, this isn't an answer to any of your questions, but I have a couple in case anyone wants to chat about these!

1. Who is Denna, and what is her story? When did Bast meet her and why?
2. Do you actually think Kvothe will die at the end of the series? I know, the book says it is "the patient, cut-flower sound of a man waiting to die" (or something along those lines) but I feel like that would somewhat unsatisfying as a finale.

Thanks!
ckimble

Post by ckimble »

Oh man, can't wait to get to the rest. I'm almost finished with the name of the wind!

-- 19 Jun 2014, 08:42 --
thsavage2
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thsavage2.html
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday

Post by thsavage2 »

First, I'd like to recommend the Tor in-depth Rothfuss reread, written and moderated by the lovely Jo Walton. And also Pat's blog, which is hilarious and good for a Rothfuss fix between books (is it Day Three yet?!?). The Tor reread has tons of theories and intelligent speculation. It's basically been confirmed that Meluan is Kvothe's aunt (his mother's sister).

Adding to the list of questions, who is the one who betrayed Kvothe? I think it's Denna, and it is going to be so tragic to read that, I can't wait. Who is the king he kills? I sort of think it's either the Maer (who rises to the throne, he's not that far removed), or Ambrose, because he killed off a bunch of people to become king himself. I would love that, Ambrose is such a terrible, slimy, privileged ass. Will Kvothe find the Amyr? I sort of think so, but we've been told so little about them, I wonder how Rothfuss is going to fit everything into just one more book, even if it's 1000 pages like WMF. Also, what is the significance of the frame and Chronicler? I think he and the events we've learned about in the interludes will have a big role in Day 3. Will we see Kvothe battle or outsmart the Chandrian? I certainly hope so. That would be a truly epic scene, the kind Rothfuss is so good at delivering. I cannot wait!

(I have a mostly-not-serious theory that Bast is a Felurian-Kvothe love child, which is unlikely but it would be funny nonetheless. What does "Reshi" mean?!?)
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday
fitzyfool1
Favorite Author: robin hobb
Favorite Book: Tawny man trilogy
Currently Reading: Fools Assasin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fitzyfool1.html
fav_author_id: 8882

Post by fitzyfool1 »

Patrick Rothfuss is an outstanding author i love his books.
He is in my opinion second only to Robin Hobb in the best Fantasy authors at the moment.
JohnOrtegon23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-johnortegon23.html

Post by JohnOrtegon23 »

I really like Patrick Rothfuss' "Kingkiller Chronicle" series. It is very calm and very fast at the same time. His Writing is similar to that of JRR TOLKIEN and GEORGE RR MARTIN. I strongly recommend this book to all fantasy readers and really think you will enjoy these books and definitely be wanting more after WISE MAN'S FEAR. My favorite installation of the series is WMF by fr and cannot wait for the 3rd and final book in the series, that will be released in october
HannahGibson
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahgibson.html

Post by HannahGibson »

"Are the master's at the University the Amyr, perhaps?"

I have lways wondered this...a likely theory!
TheMckernan

Post by TheMckernan »

I enjoyed The Name of the Wind. For me it was certainly a different read for me compared to most fantasy i have read. It actually took a few chapters for me to really get into the story. Then along came A Wise Mans Fear and I just could not put that book down. It was as if Pat woven a spell within the confines of his writing. I became so engulfed in the story, and felt an intimacy with the book that i do not think i have ever felt with any book. I found so many of it interesting like the underground ruins beneath the university, Auri ( I wouldn't be surprised if she was one of the amyr, or had some sort of contact with them). I am curious about the Cthaeh. It seemed to be made out as a devil of some sort; that it corrupts whomever it speaks to somehow. However, i cannot help but wonder if there is more to it than that. I recommended this book to quite a few people and none were disappointed. I cannot wait for the next book and i certainly hope that its just as good as this one or better.
Jcarey13
Currently Reading: Demon Child
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcarey13.html

Post by Jcarey13 »

Love these book! Absolutely love them!
I think Auri is someone who went to the university and cracked. She knows so much about how to do things and has the equipment. I almost think that she knows the name of many things because if you have read the The Slow Regard of Silent Things, everything has it's place. It could also be that she may be a little OCD but just my opinion.
In the box that he can't open I think will be his sword Cesura and the lockless box. I believe that he put things in there that would identify him and things only precious to him.
As for his loss of powers, maybe he has them,however, until he opens his box he may not be able to wield them. I think when the time comes he will open the box and use the pose when he needs it the most. Maybe Bast is actually holding him back somehow?
Patiently (ok not so patiently) waiting for the next book!
JeremyDeJournett
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremydejournett.html

Post by JeremyDeJournett »

I've probably read these books 5 times swearing with each re-read that I'm going to look for hints and foreshadowing that might answer some of these same questions. Sadly, or not so sadly perhaps, I've met with mixed success. I always get sucked into the story again! While I have noticed things that lead me to believe that Lady Lackless is Kvothe's aunt, and that the masters may indeed at least have some connection to the Amry, every time I read them I end up with new questions as well! What sword is that that Kvothe hung up in the bar tavern? Why can he perform sympathy in one scene(the bottle behind the bar) and not another (the fight scene in the bar)? Suffice to say I can't wait for the third day!
salome_salome1996
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by salome_salome1996 »

I really like this book :)) This is amazing and very interesting book. But this is not complete :| :|

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”