Official Review: The Tears of San Ferath

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DawneDominique
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: The Tears of San Ferath

Post by DawneDominique »

I've always made up stories for as long as I can remember. I wrote them down as soon as I could hold a pencil. It wasn't until late 1999, early 2000 that I took my writing further. I'm a paralegal in one-half of my "other" life. I'm an artist and writer in the other half (well, more than half).
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

That's pretty neat! The book cover design of "The Tears of San Ferath" is definitely eye- catching. I'm kind of a sucker for elaborate art of any kind. However, my greatest artistic passions are music and writing. More than anything I would like to write music for a living, but I know that I'm better at writing, and even at that I'm still only a novice.

I took a look at your designs website. I was captivated by your cover of "Claiming the Highlander." There's something elegiac about it, and it works perfectly! Between the two, would you say you love writing or art more? You're apparently quite accomplished at both!
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
DawneDominique

Post by DawneDominique »

Thank you so much. I love both equally. Cover art is a passion. Writing is a necessity. I need to expel the creativity in one type of forum or another. As you can guess, I don't sleep a lot. *chuckles*
Nathrad Sheare

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

Ha, ha, ha! I don't think I've met a creative soul who DOES sleep a lot! :lol: But being a freak among sleepers is beneficial sometimes to one's art... The best ideas appear in the middle of the night. :wink: Do you write poetry? Just a question. I started with poetry, and I still love to write it, but it really doesn't pay, does it? :roll: Maybe I should send mine overseas. The Britons and French still love that stuff, right? :wink:

I notice most writers have other hobbies that can be called their true passions. I think it's great to have more than one interest. Entertaining a few insures 0% boredom in a day. :D

So, how would you describe the writing process? I often find myself agreeing with George Orwell: "Writing a book is a horrible, exhausting struggle, like a long bout of some painful illness. One would never undertake such a thing if one were not driven on by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand.” :lol: :lol: :lol:
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
DawneDominique

Post by DawneDominique »

I totally agree!
Nathrad Sheare

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

Here's a question: What's YOUR favorite thing you've written? And what's your favorite thing someone ELSE has written? :D

-Edgar Allan Poe
DawneDominique

Post by DawneDominique »

Well, it would be the first epic fantasy I wrote, and actually finished. One day, I'll dust it off and publish it. As for what someone else has written, on a literary level, Edgar Allan Poe's The Raven. He definitely has dark writing, but that one, by far, screams to me. On a fictional level, J.R. Tolkein's The Lord of the Rings. I have read those books from start to finish about a dozen times (maybe more).
Nathrad Sheare

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

Those are some of my FAVORITES! I have all of Poe's fiction and poetry. I also have his essay, "Eureka." It's brilliant. My favorite poem of his is "Ulalume." The many colors in the language, the etude- like quality of the verse... I'm addicted to Poe! :lol:

And as for J.R.R. Tolkien......... He's got to be the best writer of fantasy fiction out there... Well... He, Lewis Carroll, E.T.A. Hoffmann, C.S. Lewis, and Shakespeare... :wink:

Now, do you have a favorite visual artist?

-Edgar Allan Poe
DawneDominique

Post by DawneDominique »

I just rec'd a warning for one of my posts and had it deleted because I gave you my cover art website. That's the 2nd warning and deletion I've rec'd, so at this point, I must say goodbye. It's been a pleasure talking to you, Nathrad, but this site... I don't understand it and I keep breaking rules, so it's best I leave. Take care and thank you again for the review.
Nathrad Sheare

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

A bummer, but I do understand. :wink: :D I wish you the very best in your writing endeavors, my friend. I've enjoyed our conversation very much. :D I apparently just broke a rule, myself. Whoops... Thanks for your time. It's been great. :D
CandaceS

Post by CandaceS »

I thoroughly enjoyed your ever eloquent review. You were gracious with your praise and delivered your criticisms with grace. The respect you feel for this author's talent as well as her potential shown thru luminously and made even your less agreeable observations taste sweeter and more palatable. Well done, mon Corbeau.
Nathrad Sheare

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

Thanks, CandaceS. I try not to be rude or mean about my opinion... Some Professionals who've been at this for awhile may believe it's somehow their right to be harsh, but I find their approach to be unsociable... Have you given thought to trying thereview thing out? You don't know how great at it you might be until you give it a shot. :wink:

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”