The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jray321
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jray321.html

Re: The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins

Post by jray321 »

I would have to say that the popularity of the Hunger Games series has grown tremendously since the production of the movie. I wasn't a fan of the movie - I thought it was a dud, however I have been transfixed with these books ever since I started reading them. I'm currently in the middle of the last book, Mockingjay, and am anxious to read the ending.

Before I started reading the Hunger Games, I asked a number of friends who had read the books to summarize them and to be honest I had no interest in reading the series after hearing their summaries. Even so, I thought I would give them a try and I was surprised to find that I was hooked from page one!

After being asked about the books by someone who hasn't read them yet I realize that its really hard to tell someone about the Hunger Games and make it sound interesting and appealing to them. Often I will try my best to summarize them without giving away too much, but often I find myself telling people that they have to read them for themselves because that is the only way that will do the series any justice.
MandiKenendy
Favorite Book: Too many to list
Currently Reading: Dance with Dragons Part 1

Post by MandiKenendy »

I absolutely loved them. I read the first one because a friend lent it to me and then I loved it so much I had to order the second two from amazon and wait desperately for them to arrive. Read them so quickly I had to go back over some bits. The last one I read till 1.30 in the morning, when I got up over breakfast and in the end had to take it to work with me. Then I sat embarrassingly crying in the staffroom as I finished it. For me, whether I love a book is about how much I love a character and I just loved Peta so much!
rachel5
Favorite Author: C.S Lewis
Favorite Book: Narnia and Redwall
Currently Reading: Aesop

Post by rachel5 »

I'm excited for the second Hunger Games movie coming out this Thanksgiving :D
A book is a movie that plays in your mind while you read the words in it
Natasha Gan

Post by Natasha Gan »

yea! I'm so excited! Can't wait... :D
ellybelly7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellybelly7.html

Post by ellybelly7 »

I've read the first book and I enjoyed it!
leverett
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leverett.html
Latest Review: "Home To Oblivion" by Roger Whittlesey

Post by leverett »

I just steamed through all three books of the series. I had heard of the books but not much about them and then saw the movie. I liked the premise, even though I'm not much of an action movie fan, so thought I'd get reading. The Hunger Games was great, an up-to-3am experience and a well written, intelligent story. I was surprised how true to the book the movie was. Catching Fire was also great, a return to the story carrying on with the characters without becoming repetitive. I felt there was a bit of a change in focus in Mockingjay however. Somehow Katniss became a bit less likeable, I lost the connection with her. Was it simple reader overload (3 books in 4 days) or did she just become too self-involved? In the end it felt like the story was running out of steam. Was the author facing a deadline? And I'm sorry, Katniss just ended up with the wrong guy!
Latest Review: "Home To Oblivion" by Roger Whittlesey
fedorasandpianos

Post by fedorasandpianos »

The books are quite fantastic - original plot and awesome story line - but the recent movie is far from adequate. I am certainly not excited for any sequels.
JeannyLeRoux

Post by JeannyLeRoux »

I didn't even know there was a series of books out.... i saw the movie... loved it; I will definitely get my hands on the books......
Uklol2012

Post by Uklol2012 »

I really enjoyed this series, the film i think will put people off, its the reason it took me so long before i read the books, but as you get through them they get so much better as the plot thickens. Would definitely recommend this series.
rachel5
Favorite Author: C.S Lewis
Favorite Book: Narnia and Redwall
Currently Reading: Aesop

Post by rachel5 »

I'm not a fan of most paranormal series, but The Hunger Games is an exception. Instead of the whole vampire romance saga we get an average girl who puts her loved ones above herself and tries to keep them safe in any way that she can. I loved the second book the most.
A book is a movie that plays in your mind while you read the words in it
mama2cj

Post by mama2cj »

I've read all three and really enjoyed them. My husband has only seen the movie and he was so lost on what was going on. The books do such a better job of explaining the culture and the situations they are in.

Overall I thought the message that I got from all three books about the state of our government and our choices of entertainment met right on with what I personally believe.
lapalmer71

Post by lapalmer71 »

Loved all of the books. I thought the movies did a decent portrayal of the books. These books appeal to a wide audience. My children 13 and 15 (boy and girl) loved them as much as I did.
lorenadc_06
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorenadc-06.html

Post by lorenadc_06 »

As I started reading the books, I was very surprised by the fact that it was being embraced by teenagers all over the world. I thought the plot of the book was a bit harsh for teenagers. Aside from that, the books were absoluteley interesting and different to say the least. Although it is set in a different era, I found several elements that are present in our times. I also liked that it was young people trying to make the difference
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

A friend of mine urged me to read "The Hunger games", I guess the first in the series.

I don't knoe - to me seemed very reminiscent of a whole line of books from Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery" through Stephen Kings (as Bachman) "The Long Walk" and King's later (as himself) "The Running Man" as well as others. The general concept (one suffers so others may thrive) was so familiar that my reaction to the book was a cliched 'been there, done that'.
SlaveBear

Post by SlaveBear »

I spent a week at Barnes and Noble after work every day reading these books. If I hadn't of like the first one, I never would have picked up the other two.
I thought they were really good. It was much better than I had expected. I used to see the books in my high school library and I'd always pass them up. Now, I wish that I hadn't.
They were great for young adult books, and I enjoyed the plot and the story line. Of course, there were certain aspects that I didn't agree with, but this happens. The characters were well designed, but one should have been a bit more assertive. But what can you do?

All in all. These books are very, very good.ll

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”