The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
d0dridge
Favorite Author: Raymond Feist
Currently Reading: Ethics on the Ark
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-d0dridge.html
Latest Review: "Aeon" by Peter Donovan

Re: The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins

Post by d0dridge »

I really enjoyed the first book when I started reading it, I can't put my finger on why really but it seemed to run out of steam a bit towards the end for me. The book started so well I was disappointed that it didn't continue to impress.

Interestingly, I just recently watched the movie with my husband and independently of me mentioning any opinions about the book or the film he commented that it was getting a bit limp. We still enjoyed it though, but I did keep interrupting the movie to try and find comparisons to Battle Royale.
Latest Review: "Aeon" by Peter Donovan
rachel5
Favorite Author: C.S Lewis
Favorite Book: Narnia and Redwall
Currently Reading: Aesop
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by rachel5 »

I have a question. What reading genre would The Hunger Games be classified under? At first I thought paranormal, but I normally associate vampires with paranormal, and there are no vampires in the Hunger Games. Then I thought sci fi, but the books don't really have a space and planets type setting. One of my friends says futuristic. Does anyone know? I'm been so curious about that
A book is a movie that plays in your mind while you read the words in it
SaraKat_Johnson
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarakat-johnson.html

Post by SaraKat_Johnson »

I think it would be interesting if Katniss died in the first book (or even the second really). I'd be just as interested in how the resistance and uprisings progress without her. What would Gale or Peeta do and her sister. I would've loved for Prim to live. Anyone else have anything they would hypothetically like to happen?
maryhadalittlebook

Post by maryhadalittlebook »

i can't wait to see Catching fire.
MandiKenendy
Favorite Book: Too many to list
Currently Reading: Dance with Dragons Part 1

Post by MandiKenendy »

rachel5 wrote:I have a question. What reading genre would The Hunger Games be classified under? At first I thought paranormal, but I normally associate vampires with paranormal, and there are no vampires in the Hunger Games. Then I thought sci fi, but the books don't really have a space and planets type setting. One of my friends says futuristic. Does anyone know? I'm been so curious about that
I think your friend's probably right - futuristic. It's our world but what it might be like in the future rather than anything unrealistic.

-- 08 Apr 2013, 17:12 --
SaraKat_Johnson wrote:I think it would be interesting if Katniss died in the first book (or even the second really). I'd be just as interested in how the resistance and uprisings progress without her. What would Gale or Peeta do and her sister. I would've loved for Prim to live. Anyone else have anything they would hypothetically like to happen?
I don't know if I could have coped without Katniss. I was so invested in her that I don't think I would have been able to keep reading. Also, the whole Peeta/Katniss love story was what kept me reading.

-- 08 Apr 2013, 17:13 --

Has anyone read or see Battle Royale? It was a Japanese story and it's very similar to Hunger Games in a lot of ways. If you enjoyed Hunger games you should give it a go. It's a little more brutal but still interesting.
You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body. - C.S. Lewis
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

I liked this trilogy but I felt that it wasn't well balanced. The first book was my favorite and I really liked the second one, especially because of the arena, but the third one was disappointing. They spent most of their time living underground, Katniss was even more egocentric and some of the stuff that happened to some of the characters seemed unnecessary. I wish I had gotten more out of it and I really hoped for a different endind
Bananacat
Favorite Author: Too many to decide
Favorite Book: Any book on the market
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bananacat.html
Latest Review: "The Gift of Life" by Keily j. adey

Post by Bananacat »

I really enjoyed this series but I felt that even though the ending of the third book worked, I didn't feel that it was the best ending that Collins could have done. For me the first and the second book where better than the third book. However I still feel that it is a series that is worth reading.
:)
Latest Review: "The Gift of Life" by Keily j. adey
bodyofghost

Post by bodyofghost »

rachel5 wrote:I have a question. What reading genre would The Hunger Games be classified under? At first I thought paranormal, but I normally associate vampires with paranormal, and there are no vampires in the Hunger Games. Then I thought sci fi, but the books don't really have a space and planets type setting. One of my friends says futuristic. Does anyone know? I'm been so curious about that
I'd say it's a futuristic dystopia.

----

I really enjoyed the trilogy, and I wouldn't have liked to see Katniss die in the first book because I actually really like her. Yeah the ending seemed a bit off and sudden, but to be honest it was a pretty realistic depiction of what could have possibly happened many years after the revolution and stuff. As a whole I seriously liked this trilogy though, it kept me reading and I really do have a soft spot for Katniss still, hah.
Demonica13

Post by Demonica13 »

I am currently comparing the movies to the books and I gotta say that the books are better. I love the hunger games books and wish that they didn't end the way it did but they were good books.
kaityy12
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaityy12.html

Post by kaityy12 »

I loved the first book. I thought it was an amazing idea that hadn't been recently touched on -- although Battle Royale did something similar. I feel like the romance aspect of it was taking over a little bit, as if it were forced, maybe. But other than that it's a great idea and I'm kind of mad I didn't think of it first.
amarini

Post by amarini »

I've heard about this series from a lot of people but haven't read any yet. I think I will though.
yvetteyoungkim
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvetteyoungkim.html

Post by yvetteyoungkim »

Usually, I'm not all that into action/adventure books with a couple exceptions including The Hunger Games. It's pretty interesting.
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Post by lady_charlie »

I really liked the first book except the idea of children doing those things was just too overwhelming for me.

I found this:
A significant influence would have to be the Greek myth of Theseus and the Minotaur. The
myth tells how in punishment for past deeds, Athens periodically had to send seven youths
and seven maidens to Crete, where they were thrown in the Labyrinth and devoured by the
monstrous Minotaur.
Even as a kid, I could appreciate how ruthless this was. Crete was sending a very clear
message: “Mess with us and we’ll do something worse than kill you. We’ll kill your children.”
And the thing is, it was allowed; the parents sat by powerless to stop it. Theseus, who was the
son of the king, volunteered to go. I guess in her own way, Katniss is a futuristic Theseus.
In keeping with the classical roots, I send my tributes into an updated version of the Roman
gladiator games, which entails a ruthless government forcing people to fight to the death as
popular entertainment. The world of Panem, particularly the Capitol, is loaded with Roman
references. Panem itself comes from the expression “Panem et Circenses” which translates
into “Bread and Circuses.”
The audiences for both the Roman games and reality TV are almost characters in themselves.
They can respond with great enthusiasm or play a role in your elimination.
I was channel surfing between reality TV programming and actual war coverage when
Katniss’s story came to me. One night I’m sitting there flipping around and on one channel
there’s a group of young people competing for, I don’t know, money maybe? And on the next,
there’s a group of young people fighting an actual war. And I was tired, and the lines began to
blur in this very unsettling way, and I thought of this story
http://www.hungergames.com
interview with S. Collins
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien
sarah17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah17.html

Post by sarah17 »

I tried to read The Hunger Games and couldn't really get into it, but my second attempt was a success. I found the first book was a bit slow, but I have to say Catching Fire (the second book) was amazing!
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

Enjoyed all three and have seen the first film. Looking forward to the next two :)
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”