The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CheekyAless
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins

Post by CheekyAless »

I adore The Hunger Game Books!
I didn't pick up the book until I heard about it and by then it had become fairly popular and they had released the first film. I had not seen the film and was not at all interested by the book/film. It wasn't until I had finished reading a saga that somebody recommend it to me. At first I was hesitant as I couldn't quite grasp what this person was telling me about it. I decided to dive in and risk it and find out for myself!
It was the best risk I ever took. I completed the first book quickly and bought the next two asap!
I disciplined myself that I couldn't watch the film or trailers until I had completed at least the first book. I am glad I stuck by that rule! The film is no where near as good as the book!!! To be honest I think it was poorly made and so much more could have been added.
Sadly though the last two books were just a repeat of the first story but with small twists. I was very disappointed with the ending of the last book! It turned into a blood bath, and even though Katniss finally found some peace in the end, I felt the story was not over and so much more should have been said .
Despite this, I still enjoyed all the books.

MAY THE ODDS BE EVER IN YOUR FAVOUR.
angelaj
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelaj.html

Post by angelaj »

I really liked the first book and thought it was great. The second book was OK and I just didn't like the third book. I thought that the story got more and more rushed as the series went on. The ending to the series was just very sudden with everything happening at once. I would have liked for Collins to explore the emotions and effects behind each event.
Jacob+Baudlaire
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacob-baudlaire.html

Post by Jacob+Baudlaire »

Arghhh berries I really really love katniss but who else hated gale in the third book he was just so so coldreading all of the books
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

I second that. Gale was a bit of a dick by the end.
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
lucy_3

Post by lucy_3 »

I thoroughly enjoyed the series. I had actually watched the film before I embarked on reading the books which is usually a big no-no for me, I find it hard to separate the movie's image of the characters and my interpretation. However, upon seeing it in a store for as little as a £1, I figured that I'd try it and if I didn't like it, it's not like I had invested a lot. Put it this way though, I was only half way through the novel when I ordered the second one and in the single day I finished that one I didn't really have time to order the third in hard copy so I downloaded it onto my Kindle! The books are aimed at teens, so obviously use simpler vocab and the books are not hard to follow. This, which would usually be classed as a negative to most, I actually found to be positive. I wanted to read on as quickly as possible as they are so fast paced, so it helped that I didn't have to over think. Plus, it's sometimes just nice to read a book for the story, not for it's language or 'artistic flair'.

I really hope the series was enjoyable for you and if anyone reading this hasn't read them yet, I definitely recommend!
easterebel

Post by easterebel »

I bought the trilogy on my kindle and read all of them within a week. Loved the first, liked the second, but the third got a bit ridiculous.
herkowskia236

Post by herkowskia236 »

The most beautiful dystopian series of it's day!
AmandaT

Post by AmandaT »

I really enjoyed these books. They are probably my favourite out of all the books I read last year. Has anyone read Battle Royale or seen the film? It's got a similar premise and I'd really recommend it to anyone who liked the Hunger Games.
mansu

Post by mansu »

the first novel in the triology was amazing :D , the second was bearable :| , but the third was horribly written! :x
i yawned my way through Mockingjay!
But i have to give it to the author.. i had no idea throughout the 3 novels who among the two guys the protagonist, Katniss Everdeen would choose ultimately :lol:
hojohojothomas

Post by hojohojothomas »

I read this series about two years ago and reread them, this past fall. Both times, I really enjoyed the whole series, however, as others have stated, I didn't find the third book, nearly as good as the first two. I love these books, because of the strong main female character, Katniss, and her need to protect her mother, sister, Peeta and the other people she loves. The books kept me on my toes, had many cliff hangers at the end of chapters, it never felt like there was a good place to take a break, but I enjoyed the action throughout the story.

I read the books before the movie came out and I'm happy for that. While the movie is well done and depicts the book fairly well. I feel as though parts of the movie were lacking compared to the book. Sadly, this is how book to movie adaptations are. Overall, I loved the series and am looking forward to the next movies.
mkpmnqn

Post by mkpmnqn »

I love this series! My favorite book is Catching Fire, because this is when Katniss realizes that becoming the victor of the Hunger Games doesn't make one's life better but worse. This book is beautifully set up for Mockingjay and the characterizations are crystal clear. If I were to describe this trilogy, it would be that Hunger Games is the hook, Catching Fire the line and Mockingjay the sinker (in a good way). To anyone who hasn't read it yet, please do! It's definitely thought-provoking and worth your time.
Wibblywobblygw
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wibblywobblygw.html

Post by Wibblywobblygw »

The first book was enjoyable, but after that I felt it went a bit downhil. The second was... Okay... But by the third she was using such a passive voice that I struggled to finish it.
Elizabeth Vahey

Post by Elizabeth Vahey »

I didn't hear about the books until Mockingjay was released and there was such a clamor about it that I decided to check it out. It was the first series that I had read on my kindle and the epiphany I had when I finished the second book, that I didn't even have to get out of bed to get the third, was euphoric. Loved them.
laura_askew88
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-askew88.html
Latest Review: "Algebra Simplified Basic and Intermediate" by Kerry Kauffman

Post by laura_askew88 »

I enjoyed the books although the series (for me ) is short lived. The ending was nice, but I would have enjoyed more romance to be honest.
Latest Review: "Algebra Simplified Basic and Intermediate" by Kerry Kauffman
Aj_Showtime

Post by Aj_Showtime »

Read them all on my spring break, loved them!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”