1984 - part 2 (a new angle)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Artdude
Bookshelf Size: 0

1984 - part 2 (a new angle)

Post by Artdude »

My original thread on 1984 generated quite some interest. Very pleased with that - it is important.
However, I would like to propose a new angle on 1984:

Political correctness:

Can we so easily assume that Orwell thinks (what we now call) 'political correctness' was the root of all evil? Surely political correctness censored by the people is what he calls for, or at least suggests is the solution?

1984 as a warning:

Everyone thinks it's some kind of warning. Well, it's happened now. We accept CCTV, and other surveillance techniques as an everyday thing. Everyone willingly engages with it. (Some people up in arms now. Well...) Do you have Facebook? Then you make public your name, address, pictures, interests, political views, and a minute by minute update of what you're doing. This is what I mean when I say it has already happened. 1984 has no relevance as a warning now. I think we need a whole new branch of literature, aimed at assessing the role of online profiles and public information.

I think this is an interesting angle for people to think about. As a warning, I think it is dead. Stylistically, it is void of anything substantial - it is so badly written. Yawn yawn yawn.

So why is it still so relevant?

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”