The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Post by gali »

I have read the book and like it. I found the story and the POV unique. A brilliant book!

The narrator tells us the less known side of the Nazi Germany, the side of the little people who are trying to survive in the shadow of war and Nazi atrocities and suffering from poverty and deprivation. One can't not to but sympathize with Liesel and her friends, but at least their weren't victims to the Nazi's greased murder machine. Suffice to say I felt more for the Jewish victims which all of a sudden their world fell apart. The narrator mentions the death marches (Auschwitz and such) and even he is shocked about that. Death notes at the end of the book that he always understates the human race (and with a good reason it seems) and concludes: "I am haunted by humans".

Something to think about: Indeed it wasn't easy to live in Germany during the holocaust era, but it was much worse for the Jew and the other victims.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
S dot Lennon
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: My current book theme is banned books
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-dot-lennon.html
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by S dot Lennon »

I thought this book was a new and original look at children during WW II. I really enjoyed it. The idea of using death as the narrator was smart and added a little bit of humor to what was a dark subject. I doubt I'll go see the film though, simply because I really liked the flow of the book and I doubt they will be able to duplicate it very successfully. Still, I would definitely recommend this book.
All I need is a new book and a place to read it...
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
Jenn+books
Favorite Author: Anne Tyler
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Always a Shakespeare
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenn-books.html
fav_author_id: 6534

Post by Jenn+books »

I can't wait to read this book--it's been on my reading list for a while now. The comments here are certainly motivating! Thanks!
Gloriannes
Favorite Author: John Lange
Favorite Book: Gor Heart of Darkness Alamut
Currently Reading: Fever and Rise of the red shadow
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gloriannes.html
Latest Review: "Brother Willy's Traveling Salvation Show" by W. Scott Mitchell
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 8763

Post by Gloriannes »

After reading the thread I really don't want to finish the book, I have a real fondness for Liesel. I love the POV of the narrator of the book. The author has done a great job to really show me the heart of the players in the book. I don't want to read anything bad that I know will happen to her due to the setting of this story.
Latest Review: "Brother Willy's Traveling Salvation Show" by W. Scott Mitchell
Lozalot4890
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lozalot4890.html

Post by Lozalot4890 »

I saw this book the other day in Waterstones, it was the first time I had heard of it and I really want to read it. It sounds great!
Halima sumar

Post by Halima sumar »

I dont think the movie will capture the beauty of the book, they never do, but I applaud the author. A writing style I hadn't seen yet and I'm thoroughly enjoying the book, feel quite sad to see myself finish it, which I rarely say about a book aha glad to see others enjoying it too :D
Chrismha

Post by Chrismha »

Gannon wrote:Its in my top ten favourite books of all time. :)
It is not my fave genre, but this book really has called my attention. The reviews are great. I'll be reading it soon.
A24

Post by A24 »

I just finished listening to The Book Thief on audio and immediately I said "wow!". Loved it! Author did an awesome job portraying the raw emotion felt by the characters during such a horrible time of Nazi Germany during WWII. It was a beautiful story of courage, strength, and family. The narrator was Death which adds a interesting perspective on life and death. This is being added to my favorites. Now, I know that the movie was out not too long ago but I'm not sure if I will see it or not. It might just spoil my own memories of this book which I will have for a long time. 5* for sure.
“The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed.”
~Patrick Henry
whimsy_halfblood
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whimsy-halfblood.html

Post by whimsy_halfblood »

I love The Book Thief. It's amazing how familiar Markus is with the history and feelings, how you can imagine yourself being there in Leisels class or in poor Himmel Street when the sirens were sounding.
Reader B
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-b.html
Latest Review: "Stronghold, by Backwoods" by Backwoods

Post by Reader B »

I read The Book Thief yesterday and I loved it. It took me a bit to get into the way it was written - to get my bearings so to speak - but once I did I was completely hooked. I loved Death's commentary. I don't like knowing how a story will end before I get to the end of the book. I never read ahead and I don't want anyone to tell me. But in this book, Death tells you who will die. I felt like I was carrying that knowledge with me as I read the rest of the book, which gave more importance to certain events. It let you build up to the actual event, rather than have a sudden shock. It was very effective writing. I definitely want to check out his other books.

Many of the stories I've heard about that time are focused on the fate of the Jews, for obvious reasons. But I've always wondered about the average person living in Germany. How did this happen and what were they thinking? Feeling? What were their lives like. I loved this book for giving a glimpse into their world. But then I could go on and on about why I loved this book.

Has anyone seen the movie? I don't know if I should watch it or not.
Latest Review: "Stronghold, by Backwoods" by Backwoods
lolis
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan

Post by lolis »

I finished reading this book a couple of days ago. I loved it! I haven't seen the movie, but I would like to watch it soon.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I haven't read the book yet but I am really looking forward to it!
rusthc09

Post by rusthc09 »

Such a brilliant novel AND a brilliant thread! I read this book for the first time when I was in high school and fell in LOVE with Zusak's writing style. The concept of having death narrate a predominate point in the worlds history where it seemed like death was the only constant in everyone's society is so beautifully poetic and ironic.

I love how Death turns into a being-- with some hints at feeling-- and becomes an observant fan of a little girl struggling to read books and create new ideas in a time when anything to enhance the individual and fine tune one's introspection makes this book a "must" in the teaching world. New realistic fiction literature to teach alongside classics like Elie Wiesel's Night and the various other wonderfully devastating non-fiction reflections on the Holocaust is a wonderful thing.
forgetful01
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-forgetful01.html

Post by forgetful01 »

this is definitely going on my 'to-read' list, i'm very excited about it
kirjabug
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirjabug.html

Post by kirjabug »

The way he has told the story is very clever and completely unique. Expertly narrated in a way that will draw the reader in

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”